Another thought about "Won't their legs be crushed rf?"

JaRylan

Click on "frontcrash-Video"

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/roemduo.htm

This video link was posted on the Car Safety Tips board (actually in the Ooooohhhh aaaaahhh thread that was all about how cool the HW RF seat from Norway was that someone saw on this board, lol). This is what I posted after seeing the video: I watched the video and you know how everyone is always asking about extended rear-facing and won't their legs break because they are touching the seat...when you watch the front facing crash video the foot of the dummy in the child restraint comes out beyond the door frame...so the feet would be hitting the seat in a ff seat just like they would a rf seat. I would prefer a child to be already in the tucked leg position rf than in a snap your legs front position. Just a thought.

ETA: I just clicked on another spot on the website and it came up with a page of car seats with starred ratings and when you click on the seats you get the same page as the above link but for that specific seat...my Norwegian is limited to "frontcrash-Video" but there are videos for all of the featured seats. I hope this makes sense, I'm just excited that I found them, lol, geek is me.

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/gesamt.htm

Last edited:
ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Yes, I agree with you! Especially given how close the back of the front seat usually is...

On another note, did you see the crashtest dummy in the other seat? I can't tell if there was a booster or if it was just a belt, but it looks like the dummy came out of the shoulder strap at the end...?!? The video stops so you can't see what happens, but when it stops, the crashtest dummy's body is turned sideways - I wonder what position it was in when the motion stopped... :confused:

JaRylan

Yes, I agree with you! Especially given how close the back of the front seat usually is...

On another note, did you see the crashtest dummy in the other seat? I can't tell if there was a booster or if it was just a belt, but it looks like the dummy came out of the shoulder strap at the end...?!? The video stops so you can't see what happens, but when it stops, the crashtest dummy's body is turned sideways - I wonder what position it was in when the motion stopped... :confused:

I was viewing some of the booster seat videos and you can get a much better view of how the body reacts in the booster seat...it is even scarier. The sideways motion of the body was towards the door of the vehicle, the head comes out where the window should be.

If the shoulder belt angled the other way would that not make the body twist into the centre thereby decreasing side impact head injuries?

Is there a reason why shoulder belts angle up to the door and buckle on the inside hip (other than it must be more convenient)?

Is there research on which way to angle a middle-position shoulder belt?

I hope by the time Rylan has outgrown his Radian and his future Regent or future Recaro that they have invented something that harnesses even longer (I guess the travel vests would) or that they have made 4 or 5 point seat belts an option when ordering a car...not that any of these options would be available in Canada of course :(

JaRylan

Okay the thoughts keep coming...bear with me.

Have forward-facing child restraint leg or head injuries increased since cars have been equipped with front air-bags?

Wondering this because the front passenger is always encouraged to position their seat as far away from the air bag as possible, thereby decreasing the back seat leg room.

scatterbunny

I used to have some of those videos saved on my computer, some comparing harnessed vs. boosters, for this very reason--it shows how, in a booster, the shoulder that is not restrained rotates toward the point of impact, coming slightly out of the seat. These videos are part of what convinced me of the benefits of harnessing Hayley as long as possible. More points of restraint=safer, IMO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC