I need info on installing MA and FPSVD in a Buick Enclave

NormDeplume

My in-laws just bought a Buick Enclave, and have invited the family on a trip. I tried to fit ds's FPSVD in the second row captain's chair the other day, and couldn't figure it out. I gave up before trying dd's Marathon (She's over 40#, so I assume I'll be using belt installation with the MA, but DS is 33 lbs, so I suppose I could use LATCH on the FPSVD). Both are FF, by the way.

I'm a pro at getting these seats in and out of my 2000 Hyundai Sonata, but the Enclave has me stumped. I will not have access to the owner's manual until they get here on Friday, so I cannot refer to it.

Here's my list of questions. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.

*What positions should I put the child seats in, if there are four adults and two kids traveling? I'd love to put both kids in the third row, but there's only one tether point, in the center position. (The dealership told my in-laws that both outboard seats could be anchored to that one point, but that sounds wrong to me. Or were they right?)

*If we put the kids in the second row: The headrests tilt forward on the captains chairs, so that there is a big gap between the child seat and the seat back. Will reclining the seat during installation fix that?

* How would I route the tether strap on those seats? Up over the headrest, or around the side of it?

I'm sure I will have more questions before Friday, when this trip is supposed to happen, but that's all I can think of now.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a Saturn Outlook which is on the same platform as the Buick Enclave and the GMC Acadia. I have a 2nd row bench seat, but I'm sure the problem you're encountering with the captain's chairs is the same as the bench seat poses. At first glance, the headrest pushes the top of the carseat forward and you can't get it back against the seat - is that the problem you're having?

The manual says to recline the seatback when installing carseats. I'm not sure how the captain chairs would recline, but I'm sure it'll have similar instructions to have the captain chairs reclined at least somewhat. The LATCH limit on the Enclave should be 48lbs since that's what both Saturn and GMC have for their limits.

The seats are fairly compressible, so if you put your weight in the seat once the headrest isn't interfering, you'll be able to get a rock solid install. I can actually shake the whole vehicle a bit - and that's saying something when it's a heavy truck. :p

Tethers that are split like the Britax tethers, are routed on either side of the headrest. Single tethers are routed straight up and over the headrest (I'm assuming it has the immovable headrests too? That could be an extra option that was added to the Enclave, I'm not sure...) The manual clearly shows both tether types and how to route them.

The installing a car seat section in the manual, of our Outlook anyways, is really very good. I'm guessing the manual will be the same, just with the cosmetic differences/brand name changed. All 3 vehicles I mentioned have the same engine and same platform. Same amount of spacing between rows, same safety features... basically different styling, different available interior options and the Enclave is more of a luxury end of the 3.

Hope that helps. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC