Question Keeping child in carseat?

melli

Hi I wanted to post a pic here of the situation but no matter how much I crop the pic it's saying it's too big.
Anyway my friend's son who is 2.5 yrs old knows how to unclip his chest strap. So she is using a luggage strap on his chest to keep him in. It works but I'm worried that if she's gets into an accident that luggage strap is going to injure his chest. She's using that extra clip that comes with your luggage to strap another piece of luggage to it.The actual chest strap is on his belly.
I also notice she doesn't have shoulder straps on the carseat but I guess that doesn't matter. Is there something in the market that can keep her little escape artist in his seat? Thanks

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi I wanted to post a pic here of the situation but no matter how much I crop the pic it's saying it's too big.
Anyway my friend's son who is 2.5 yrs old knows how to unclip his chest strap. So she is using a luggage strap on his chest to keep him in. It works but I'm worried that if she's gets into an accident that luggage strap is going to injure his chest. She's using that extra clip that comes with your luggage to strap another piece of luggage to it.The actual chest strap is on his belly.
I also notice she doesn't have shoulder straps on the carseat but I guess that doesn't matter. Is there something in the market that can keep her little escape artist in his seat? Thanks

Oh gosh, that doesn't sound like a great situation.

And I'm not sure what you mean by no shoulder straps?

There really isn't anything aftermarket that can be used, but sometimes a change in harness snugness or a change in the seat itself can help.

I'd suggest having your friend stop take a pic of her own and stop by here so we can try to help. :)

melli

She said that the chest clip kept sliding down that's why the luggage strap was on the chest. She said she found something to replace the chest clip on amazon

CMeMeC

Maybe she could contact the seat manufacturer and get a new chest clip? I would not advise adding things to a seat that is not working properly. He needs a properly functioning car seat, either user, repair, or replacement of the seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I also notice she doesn't have shoulder straps on the carseat but I guess that doesn't matter.

What do you mean by no shoulder straps? That could matter a great deal! How is her child secured in the seat? A 2yo should be in a 5-point harness: the five points are shoulder, shoulder, hip, hip, crotch and there should be contact with the harness at all points.

CMeMeC

What do you mean by no shoulder straps? That could matter a great deal! How is her child secured in the seat? A 2yo should be in a 5-point harness: the five points are shoulder, shoulder, hip, hip, crotch and there should be contact with the harness at all points.

After I read this and then reread the post, I am confused. I wonder if she is using a booster and holding him in it with luggage straps. What is a chest strap? The first time I read it, I thought she was referring to harness covers as shoulder straps, but now I am wondering if there is a harness at all. I surs hope she is not trying to add a make shift harness to a booster seat with luggage straps. Oh dear. Pictures would help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC