Safe car seat cleaning help!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So my baby had an insane spit up/throw up morning while we were out today and she was in her Aton 2 car seat. I cleaned the seat up with baby wipes while we were out, but it needs a much more thorough cleaning. I have removed the cover and thrown it in the wash. Now for the straps and buckle parts. This is what the manual says:

Harness Straps
Sponge clean using warm water and mild soap. Air dry. Do not iron.
NEVER REMOVE Harness or Harness components from Infant Carrier.
NEVER USE bleach, household cleaners or solvents

Harness Buckle
Sponge clean or thoroughly rinse Harness Buckle with warm water. Test by
fastening and unfastening until an audible CLICK is heard after inserting
each buckle Tongue into the Buckle. If CLICKS are not heard, repeat the
cleaning procedure.
NEVER USE bleach, household cleaners or solvents.
DO NOT lubricate

Okay, so for my questions:

1. Is this saying that I cannot use anything except water on the harness buckle?
2. When it says "thoroughly rinse," does this mean it's okay to immerse it in water? There's puke way down into the buckle....As far as I can tell, the buckle itself is not removable, so unless it's okay to put the whole seat in the shower, I can't rinse it by running it under water.
3. What constitutes the "mild soap" that can be used on the harness straps? Does anyone have any product suggestions?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I've talked to manufacturers about accepted mild soaps, Dawn and Dreft have been named, so those are OK. Just be sure not to saturate the harness with the detergent because you won't be able to get it all out.

As for the buckle, if you can't prop the seat upside down like on the corner of a kitchen counter so you can hold a cup of water over the buckle, then I'd call Cybex and ask them for guidance.

tmahanes

Just an FYI if you have to call Cybex.... Google for the number. The number on the bottom of my seat was for Regal Lager and they told me the are no longer the distributor for Cybex and could not answer my questions. I had to send an email and an answer took a couple of days. They said Cybex is starting to handle themselves now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

aeormsby

An old tooth brush works great for getting stuff out of the crevices of the harness without soaking it. That along with a sponge and a quick rinse are what I've done in the past.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC