LATCH Lookup - Tether Anchor Retrofit Location

morlando27

Can someone tell me where a tether anchor can be retrofitted in a 1997 Chevy Silverado extended cab? Specifically, I'm interested in the center rear seating position. I pulled the carpeting and didn't see any predrilled holes. Thanks!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM did not provide the LATCH manual's authors with top tether anchor retrofittable positions, nor GM top tether anchor retrofit part numbers (the part numbers tend to change over time for GM models according to the LATCH manual) for pre-factory equipped Buick/Chevy/Pontiac/Cadillac/GMC models. Instead, owners with pre-factory equipped models from those GM brands are instructed to contact their GM dealership for top tether anchor retrofit info. You'll need to contact a GM/Chevy dealership to see if they have more info. or hope for another member who has experience getting the same model retrofitted to see this and chime in. Fingers crossed you can get more specific details soon. :)

Dillipop

Have you looked in your vehicle manual? When I had a 1999 Buick (so a GM vehicle) there was a blurb about top tethers for Canadian owners, since Canada required them at the time and most GM models are sold both in canada and the US off the same assembly lines. I can't remember if it gave part numbers but it definitely have contact info and told how many could be installed if needed.

morlando27

It seems the parts are no longer available from GM so I'm hoping to install an E-Z-On tether anchor.

I skimmed the owners manual and did see a blurb that said something like see earlier note on top strap but I couldn't find the earlier note. I'm sure it's there but it wasn't jumping out at me and I haven't had a chance to sit down and really read it yet nor find the manual online to search.

I found instructions here for retrofitting a 1998 GMC extended cab but I don't want to just assume it's the same for a 1997 Chevy. This guide also looks helpful.
Locate the position where the hole will be drilled from inside the cab. Locate the hole either 109 mm (4.3 in) or 545 mm (21.4 in) outboard from the center line of the back panel and 42 mm (1.65 in) below the horizontal sheet metal panel.

morlando27

The owners manual just says
If your child restraint has a top strap, it should be anchored. If you need to have an anchor installed, you can ask your GM dealer to put it in for you. If you want to install an anchor yourself, your dealer can tell you how to do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC