Need suggestions for my cousin please!

SPJ&E

My cousin has an almost 3 month old son, who is already 15 lbs. and 25.5 in. tall. His Snugride was passed down from my first son, so it only goes to 20 lbs. and 26 in...which he is quickly approaching, lol. She doesn't know much about carseats at all, but is really good about listening to my advice and even asked me to install his Snugride when he was born.

Anyway, we talked a little about it today, but not much. She said that she wants one that she can carry still, because he can't sit up, so taking him in the store would be hard. I let her try out my hip hammock (which I love and so does my little one) and her baby doesn't support his head and back well enough to use that just yet. She said that's not a MUST, but I know she would like that. I told her that she could get a convertible and then still use the infant seat JUST for going in the store, but that would be pretty inconvenient...having to get him out of one seat just to put him in another.

I mentioned the Graco SafeSeat, which I think would probably be her best option if she does want one she can still carry. I'm pretty sure she's not going to spend the money for a Britax (which would be my first recommendation). I am pretty sure she won't like the Scenera because of the lack of padding. I don't really know where to go from there!

Like I said, she's got a big baby, so the longer she can use the seat, the better. I don't really know a price range, but I'm going to say around $100 or less. She has a Ford Escape...I think a 2003 or 2004. I definitely want to recommend something she will get a lot of use out of and that is EASY to use. What convertible seats should I recommend to her?

ADS

ajweeks

What about a sling or pouch for her baby? At that age those types of carriers will work better and then can also be used in the hip carry once he has head control.

In regards to carseats. The safeseat would be convienient, but most likely a waste of money for her unless she plans on having another child that it could be passed down to. The best and most cost effective option is a convertable. The scenera, even with its lack of padding, is the best low cost seat because it lasts so long rear-facing. The next best option would be a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, which is the same seat as the MA and made by Britax, but without the rear facing tether, lock-offs and it only goes to 55 lbs. It is $160-$180 depending on where you buy, but even though it is more than $100 it will last her son so much longer than any other seat so its cost over the life of the seat will be less.

twokidstwodogs

Yeah, I'd say a pouch, sling, or Baby Bjorn for shopping. My kids both outgrew the Snugride at four months, and they didn't much like being in there, even before that point. I always found it more convenient to put them in a Hotsling or Baby Bjorn, particularly since then you can walk away from the cart.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Have you read the info in this post
How long can you use an infant seat?
There is good info on the weight and height restrictions, saying you have to move once weight is outgrown but height is another story.
The babies weight gain might start to slow down some so this might buy her some more time:)
You should check out this post
How long can you use an infant seat? the comment on this post was made by papooses

Morganthe

I can't recomend any carseats, but after toting around my dd in 5 various types of carriers, I would definitely suggest the Ergo New style.

A Baby Bjorn goes to around 22lbs and unless you get the Active style, the entire weight is on your shoulders. The baby's weight is centered in the crotch area, so there's a little controversy about it. IMO, it's expensive for such a short time use. My friend had a large son and she could only use my reg. BB until he was 17lbs & 5months old because her back would ache horribly.

A sling is across one shoulder, so it can be even more uncomfortable. I was comfortable carrying my daughter in hers until she hit around 18lbs. After that, continual ache and she was even on my hip for support at that time. Since she started out at 5lbs, I figure I got my worth out of it. She was almost a year old by then :D

I haven't tried a Mei Tie (sp?).

He's much too immature for a framed backpack, but those are a pain to handle in stores anyway.

Ergo has a good front carrying position with head support for a long time until he's mature to switch to the back or side. My daughter is 3 and I can still carry her on the front if need be. Weight is balanced between shoulders and hips, or can be placed completely on hips. It's under $100, works until you just can't carry Child's weight anymore, and there's a few options for adding a pouch purse & attachable knapsack. It's also extremely adjustable. I've seen women under 5ft and my 6'3 husband comfortably using it.
hth
good luck :)

SPJ&E

Have you read the info in this post
How long can you use an infant seat?
There is good info on the weight and height restrictions, saying you have to move once weight is outgrown but height is another story.
The babies weight gain might start to slow down some so this might buy her some more time:)
You should check out this post
How long can you use an infant seat? the comment on this post was made by papooses

I don't see any links if there were any. In response though, I myself do know when an infant carrier is outgrown...the stated height limit is nothing, just an estimate...it's when the baby's head is 1 inch of the carseat shell (not the padding).

I know she's still got a few months left with the infant seat, I just wanted to go ahead and give her some suggestions for when she does want to buy the new seat. I don't want to wait around until he actually does outgrow it...I want her to have one before that happens. She really knows next to nothing about carseats...not at all because she doesn't care, but I think she just doesn't know where to start. I've been keeping an eye on his height to make sure he's okay there and he's fine. I just want to guide her in the right direction and hopefully I can sell her on keeping him rear-facing past one year. I don't see it happening, but I'm sure going to try!

Anyway, as far as carriers/slings go, I don't think she's into using them. I love my hip hammock and I think she liked it, her baby's just not ready for it yet (he may be by the time he needs a new carseat though). I know she hates the front carrier and took it back to the store after trying it once for a few minutes.

I really don't think she'll go with the Scenera, but I'll take one of mine over and let her try it out and see what she thinks. MY recommendations would be a Britax Marathon, Decathlon, or Boulevard, Fisher Price Safe Voyage, and Cosco Scenera. I was just wondering if there were any other good options that I'm missing.

I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not all one shouldered slings are uncomfortable. Just make sure you have a wide piece of fabric over the shoulder, and I prefer something with stretch. I still carry Piper occasionally in our KKAFP and she's four and 29 pounds. It's not so much her weight at all that bothers me (sometimes for fun I toss one of our cats in too) it's her length. Our maya has been retired for a bit as the nonstretch fabric got a little weighty with her. We sold our ergo as I wasn't using it a lot and we have a Kozy for back carries if we need one.

Actually, since winter is coming up I would recommend a Scenera and a KKAFP for the infant for the winter. That way you can put baby in a fleece in the car, then tuck him into another fleece, the pouch against mom's body, then have mom put her jacket over them both. I used to do this with Piper (I still put her in my jacket with me sometimes). In the springtime when it warms and baby is a little older then I'd get an Ergo. It makes a great mother's day present. :)

Wendy

LEAW

If she's not willing to use a sling and can't use the infant carrier anymore, her only choice may be a convertable and a stroller.

I have to 2nd all the great sling suggestions though.. we own all of them except a Bjorn and Hip Hammock, and have been SO pleased with the options. I keep a mei tai, the ergo, and a sling/pouch in the car at all times... depending on the trip/child, I can take dd anywhere, and new baby will ride under my coat on my front or back and be plenty warm.

A sturdy stroller with a good basket can be used to go grocery shopping, though in a smaller amount.. no once a month shopping trip!

My dd was nearly 22" at birth, so it was a quick life for the infant carrier in our car. We've always used a carrier, starting with a kkafp for infant, then a ring sling, then mei tai when I needed to distribute her weight more, and the ergo. I use the kkafp again to hip carry now, which is great for quick in/out with a toddler.

abacus2

Don't forget the Radian. My daughter was the same height but weighed less at 3 months. Dd is now almost 3 and has hit the weight AND height limits of 40lb/15" harness height seats. This child needs either a Scenera and then an Apex or one higher weight/higher harness slot convertible. Do you have any funds you could gift towards this purchase to make the needed convertible more affordable? Absolutely avoid the Evenflo seats with low top (14") harness slots; my daughter outgrew one of these FFing at 18 months, 25 lbs, 29". Check http://carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html and/or bring a measuring tape to the store to check harness slot height.

One shouldered slings are not uncomfortable. I have a pouch from mayawrap.com. When older dd was little I didn't have a sling and did carry the Snugride around in my car to use as a carrier after she was in a convertible until she could sit up well. Some stores have infant seats on some carts though.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC