Question Carseat help for a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe - Canada

n3rdstrong

Hey folks!

My husband and I are trying to find a new car seat for our (almost) 1 year old, and we're very conflicted on which to go with. Originally I had ordered a Clek Fllo Toki Doki from a specialty baby shop in Ottawa. Long story short, it was on backorder when I ordered in May and would be in July 11th. After not hearing from them we checked in, only to find out they never ordered it and apparently cancelled my order while keeping the money. They never followed through with an attempt to correct their mistake, so needless to say we demanded a refund and got it in full. Now however, this has opened a chance to second guess our choice...

We've tested both of the Diono Rainier, and the 2016 Radian RXT; Which my husband really likes. My concern however is that neither were tested with the angle adjuster, so both made it almost impossible to sit safely in either front seat. Babies r Us have said we *should* have a bit more room upfront if we use the adjuster, but haven't let us actually test either while using one. Middle seat is not an option for us unfortunately, as we also have a (almost) 6 year old in a high back booster.

We're looking for one that will keep our son RFing for as long as possible of course, while being comfortable for him (one of my concerns with the Fllo is the material overheating him) and not making it unsafe or impossible entirely to sit in the front. We only have the one car, so that's kind of important lol.

Currently he's in a Safety First Lux infant seat. His last measurements were 19.5lbs and 29in. (UPDATE: Torso is 8in). As noted in the title, we have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. My husband is the only driver, and he's 6'1. Myself, I'm 5'3 and always in the passenger. I have a spinal cord injury so I can't sit too upright in the car. We also do spend a fair bit of time traveling for appointments, etc.

Other seats I've also been looking at are the Maxi Cosi Jool, and Peg Perego 5-65.

Sorry for the long read! If you've gotten this far, thank you! lol

Last edited:
ADS

Mary_Ann

Hey folks!

My husband and I are trying to find a new car seat for our (almost) 1 year old, and we're very conflicted on which to go with. Originally I had ordered a Clek Fllo Toki Doki from a specialty baby shop in Ottawa. Long story short, it was on backorder when I ordered in May and would be in July 11th. After not hearing from them we checked in, only to find out they never ordered it and apparently cancelled my order while keeping the money. They never followed through with an attempt to correct their mistake, so needless to say we demanded a refund and got it in full. Now however, this has opened a chance to second guess our choice...

We've tested both of the Diono Rainier, and the 2016 Radian RXT; Which my husband really likes. My concern however is that neither were tested with the angle adjuster, so both made it almost impossible to sit safely in either front seat. Babies r Us have said we *should* have a bit more room upfront if we use the adjuster, but haven't let us actually test either while using one. Middle seat is not an option for us unfortunately, as we also have a (almost) 6 year old in a high back booster.

We're looking for one that will keep our son RFing for as long as possible of course, while being comfortable for him (one of my concerns with the Fllo is the material overheating him) and not making it unsafe or impossible entirely to sit in the front. We only have the one car, so that's kind of important lol.

Currently he's in a Safety First Lux infant seat. His last measurements were 19.5lbs and 29in. I don't currently have his torso measurement, but I'll get it asap and update here. As noted in the title, we have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. My husband is the only driver, and he's 6'1. Myself, I'm 5'3 and always in the passenger. I have a spinal cord injury so I can't sit too upright in the car. We also do spend a fair bit of time traveling for appointments, etc.

Another seat I have looked at is the Recaro Young Sport Hero, I came across it on Amazon.ca and it looks great. But I can find any info on the RF limits, or availability anywhere else in Canada other than Amazon.

Sorry for the long read! If you've gotten this far, thank you! lol

Hi! I far prefer my Foonf (bought before the Fllo came out) over my Radian. The harness adjuster is way easier to use, it's easier to install, has an anti rebound bar and is just nicer overall. You should definitely try it before buying, though. My daughter is 3.5 and doesn't complain about the heat, neither did my first when she used it at 6yo. The material doesn't feel more prone to heat than our other seats (plum Radian, plush cowmoo britax).

n3rdstrong

Hi! I far prefer my Foonf (bought before the Fllo came out) over my Radian. The harness adjuster is way easier to use, it's easier to install, has an anti rebound bar and is just nicer overall. You should definitely try it before buying, though. My daughter is 3.5 and doesn't complain about the heat, neither did my first when she used it at 6yo. The material doesn't feel more prone to heat than our other seats (plum Radian, plush cowmoo britax).

Hey! Thanks so much! The Foonf is definitely nice, I've loved the Capri White since I first started looking at the Cleks <3 I only wish it wasn't so much more expensive than the Fllo. I'd could never put a price on my child's safety. But it's a bit more than we can afford right now, and it doesn't look like there are any sales on currently :(

Mary_Ann

Hey! Thanks so much! The Foonf is definitely nice, I've loved the Capri White since I first started looking at the Cleks <3 I only wish it wasn't so much more expensive than the Fllo. I'd could never put a price on my child's safety. But it's a bit more than we can afford right now, and it doesn't look like there are any sales on currently :(

The Fllo is really similar and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had to replace my Foonf today!

dogmelissa

Why can't the 6 yr old go to the outboard position?

I had a Radian for my DD, the Premier (now called R120) but it's the same height, and in my Kia Sportage (almost the same as your Hyundai), the angle adjuster gave us about 1.5", maybe more. I know why they wouldn't let you try it, but see if you can find someone locally who has one and either borrow the angle adjuster or just have it if they're done with it. As you can see below, my DD was RF in her Radian until after her 4th birthday. I also don't want to put a price on safety, but there's no need to spend twice the money if not necessary. We had no heat issues even with the dark fabric: it was hot on a hot day when first getting in but no different than the black interior of the car. With a/c on or windows down, it didn't seem to matter what cover we had on the seat (we had a light grey and 2 dark grey/black ones). Also because this seat is quite shallow and without headwings, body heat doesn't seem to get trapped much.

I'd send you my angle adjuster but it'd cost too much in shipping! Maybe a local tech has one?

Hope that helps,
Melissa
Posted via Mobile Device

n3rdstrong

The Fllo is really similar and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had to replace my Foonf today!

Very good to know, thanks! :D

Why can't the 6 yr old go to the outboard position?

I had a Radian for my DD, the Premier (now called R120) but it's the same height, and in my Kia Sportage (almost the same as your Hyundai), the angle adjuster gave us about 1.5", maybe more. I know why they wouldn't let you try it, but see if you can find someone locally who has one and either borrow the angle adjuster or just have it if they're done with it. As you can see below, my DD was RF in her Radian until after her 4th birthday. I also don't want to put a price on safety, but there's no need to spend twice the money if not necessary. We had no heat issues even with the dark fabric: it was hot on a hot day when first getting in but no different than the black interior of the car. With a/c on or windows down, it didn't seem to matter what cover we had on the seat (we had a light grey and 2 dark grey/black ones). Also because this seat is quite shallow and without headwings, body heat doesn't seem to get trapped much.

I'd send you my angle adjuster but it'd cost too much in shipping! Maybe a local tech has one?

Hope that helps,
Melissa
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the help Melissa, and thank you for the consideration! Lol Yes, shipping would suck big time! I apologize for the silly question, but what do you mean by the outbound position? He is FF if that's what you meant, he's just doing so in a Evenflo high back booster (Hoping to upgrade that soon however to a more secure one).

We went back in to TRU a day or so ago, and they did let us try it with the adjuster this time. I guess they have a store one they use, but didn't have it last time. The RXT ended up fitting in perfect with it, and my seat didn't need to adjust from where it currently is at all! Buuut they didn't have any more in stock, other than their floor model. Just as well I guess, cause all their seats just went on sale.

Do you find not having the headwings on the R120 makes a huge difference? Headwings seem to have become quite on trend in recent years, but I often question their effectiveness.. Yet I still find myself looking at seats with them lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC