Question Graco Nautilus help

jinn_him

Hey,

I'm having some issues with my Graco Nautilus installation in a Ford Freestyle 2005 (6 seats).

I can't seem to get a tight fit because the male clip is in front of the seats belt path. It causes the belt to scrunch up too. The seat doesn't move too much from side to side but quite easily moves forward on the clip side. Is this a safe enough install? . I'll add some pics of the issue too.

Hoping on some advice on what's best to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3234364758.jpg
    image-3234364758.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image-1465287857.jpg
    image-1465287857.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 34
  • image-1044512148.jpg
    image-1044512148.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 35
ADS

Brianna

I'm not sure what you've tried so far, but if you haven't already, try putting your knee in the seat and pull up on the top layer of the seat belt to remove slack from the lap portion. Hold it in place with your right hand while you use your left hand to feed the slack into the retractor using your left hand.

tiggercat

In addition to what Brianna said, when using a towel under the seat, make sure that it is only one single layer of (preferrably old and thin) towel under the seat. It looks like you might have some bunched up behind the Nautilus as well as several layers underneath, and that is not allowed.

It looks to me like it may be incompatible with that seating location. Are there other options for where to place the Nautilus that may have different seatbelt geometry? I've been able to get the Nauti installed with forward leaning rigid buckle stalks in my van, but not buckles as far forward as it looks in your pics.

jinn_him

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try. When I tried installing (about 5 times now), I did it in a similar way...but I'll try anything at this point.

I just can't see how I'm going to be able to get a good install with the male clip being in front of the belt path though.

jinn_him

Didn't know that about the towels, thank you so much for letting me know!

All the seats and belts are the same....so I guess it probably isn't compatible. Not enough to get a great instal anyway.

tiggercat

How much does the child in question weigh? Is a latch install a possibility?

Otherwise, there are other combinations seats that work better with that kind of belt set up, perhaps we could make some suggestions?

jinn_him

She's 50lbs so can't use latch unfortunately.

I'd love some recommendations, please! Also, I'll still be able to use the Nati as a high back booster, right? Or will the belt path still cause a problem?

jinn_him

She's 50lbs so can't use latch unfortunately.

I'd love some recommendations, please! Also, I'll still be able to use the Nati as a high back booster, right? Or will the belt path still cause a problem?

Edit: Use the Nautilus as a high back booster*

jinn_him

Hey ya'll,

Just trying to figure out if I can still use my Nautilus as a high back booster, seeing as the belt path is different? Not sure if I should keep it for a booster or sell it and get another seat.

Thanks.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey ya'll,

Just trying to figure out if I can still use my Nautilus as a high back booster, seeing as the belt path is different? Not sure if I should keep it for a booster or sell it and get another seat.

Thanks.

Yes, though it's not going to be fun to buckle any booster into those :(.

jinn_him

Does anyone have any recommendations for a harnessed seat that would fit with my seat belt stalks? My 4.5yr old DD sits very well in a HBB but I'd prefer her to be harnessed for another year or so.

Thanks.

jinn_him

There are plenty of options for her! What is her t-shirt size? Do you know where she falls on growth charts in terms of height and weight? That'll help us make tailored recommendations.

Thank You!

She has a long torso. Her shirt size varies by brand but it's generally around size 6 for length. She's 52lbs and 43 inches. Pretty big for her age!! 97 percentile.

Thank You! She has a long torso. Her shirt size varies by brand but it's generally around size 6 for length. She's 52lbs and 43 inches. Pretty big for her age!! 97 percentile.

Hmm.. she's tall! I'd go with a Britax Frontier 90 or Pinnacle 90, or an Evenflo SureRide. They'll last her quite a while :) The SureRide doesn't become a booster, but you can buy a dedicated booster later for around $40.

jinn_him

Hmm.. she's tall! I'd go with a Britax Frontier 90 or Pinnacle 90, or an Evenflo SureRide. They'll last her quite a while :) The SureRide doesn't become a booster, but you can buy a dedicated booster later for around $40.

Okay, thank you! I'll see if I can try the install before buying one. Hopefully one of them will get a good install with my belt stalks. I appreciate your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC