3 boosters across Honda CR-V or Jeep Liberty?

tripletmom08

I have 5.5 year old triplets in Radian XT seats in my 2005 Honda CR-V. My car was involved in a minor accident last week (without the kids in it, thankfully) and the insurance company is replacing the seats. All three kids are 45-46" tall and 45-53 pounds. All three already have shoulders above the top harness slot in the Radian. I am ready to move them to boosters, but I'm dreading the nightmare of buckling 3 across. The Radians are very close together and I can't imagine being able to go much wider. It looks like the Graco Turbo Booster is the most narrow I can find, but I am still not sure if I can make that work, so I'm posting in hopes that someone will have experience with this situation. Should I go with the Turbo boosters? Is there a more narrow option. The Turbo is 16.5" wide, and the new Radian (that I could use as a booster) specs say it is 17" wide. Cost is not an object since the insurance company is covering it, but I am not sure if it's worth it to buy new Radians just for the booster, especially since I read a review that said the belt straps can twist because of the way they thread through the headrest.

I know a backless, especially the bubble bum, would work, but I am uncomfortable using a backless right now unless I absolutely have to. If I could afford a van, I'd buy Britax Frontiers and keep them in a 5 point harness longer, but that is unfortunately not an option.

I am also looking at booster options for a Jeep Liberty. It has an even smaller back seat, but I thought I'd post here in case anyone has experience! Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! I'm not familiar with the those vehicles, so I wanted to bump your thread. :)

Keeyamah

The bigger problems with using the Radian as a booster are 1) since your kiddos were already over the top slot they may be too tall to use the booster function because it doesn't adjust any taller than the headwings on the RXT, same on the R120, just not on headwings (only slightly above the top slots) and 2) they have to weigh at least 50lbs to use it as a booster and at least one of your kiddos isn't there yet.

You might look at Harmony Defenders to keep them harnessed for another year or so, but maybe not, since you said their shoulders were already above the top slot. The Radian has a top slot of 17", and the Defender is only 18", usually that would be another year in the harness (kids torsos usually grow about an inch a year) but they may be taller than that at the shoulder already.

JlynnB

I think the Harmony Folding Travel Booster is a little bit narrower than the TurboBooster. It doesn't convert to a backless but you may need the extra little bit of space. The middle seat is going to be the problem, I think. I have a 2006 CR-V with a TB on the driver's side and a B-Safe base installed next to it in the middle. The base is 15" wide but the seatbelt goes through the belt path, not around the outside of it. If you did have to go with a BubbleBum in the middle you could definitely fit two hbb on either side, and maybe you could even fit the Harmony between two TurboBoosters. Good luck!

cookie123

I don't really feel like the Bubble Bum is a good full time option. Especially in the middle if there's a bit of a hump. It feels a little unstable. Using the Radian as a booster wouldn't be an option weight wise for anyone under 50 lbs even if they fit height wise.

The Evenflo booster people feel is very narrow. I'll look up the name for you.

The Evenflo Amp high back. Also it looks like the Maxi Cosi RodiFix might work. Narrow and no armrests to work around. You'll probably have to have the middle kid buckle, then have the outboard kids get in, schooch them over towards the door to buckle and then push them back and position the seat belt. Not ideal for all the time! Sorry.

Also, you want to make sure the booster positions the seat belt correctly. Here's a resource for that.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/child-boosters

U

Unregistered

I think the Harmony Folding Travel Booster is a little bit narrower than the TurboBooster. It doesn't convert to a backless but you may need the extra little bit of space. The middle seat is going to be the problem, I think. I have a 2006 CR-V with a TB on the driver's side and a B-Safe base installed next to it in the middle. The base is 15" wide but the seatbelt goes through the belt path, not around the outside of it. If you did have to go with a BubbleBum in the middle you could definitely fit two hbb on either side, and maybe you could even fit the Harmony between two TurboBoosters. Good luck!

Please help. How do I attach the Graco Turbo Booster to the middle seat of a CRV. I do not find a lap belt. Only the shoulder strap.

MelodyoftheForest

You need to connect the mini buckle on the side where the shoulder belt comes from the seat/ceiling. That makes a regular 3-point seat belt you can use with a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC