Question Suggestions on Vehicle & car seats

Witchysue

I have 3 18 mo old and 2 9 mo old. They've been staying with grandparents while I got some health and money things resolved. Now they are coming home! I need a vehicle and 5 car seats pretty quick. I've researched vehicles online, but would like to hear from experienced parents & caregivers input on better options. Also since there are possibly another set coming beginning of next year information on the thinner, but safe options in car seats would be helpful. Truthfully the whole issue of car seat types overwhelms me:(

ADS

sunnydayz

Hi and welcome! What is your budget for the vehicle and for the seats? Do you have 3 kids who are 18 months and 2 kids who are 9 months?

Keeanh

So you have 5 children under 2, and possibly more next year? Is that right? What's your budget? And how many people do you need your vehicle to hold in total?

Witchysue

Budget is open. I just received a sizeable inheritance. This and a house then savings are priorities. Not hundreds of thousands for car seats + vehicle but reasonable and safe. Ideas on "best" and more reasonable effective safe options are appreciated.

Yes 5 current; 3 @ 18 month old, 2 @ 9 months. Total for now: them and possibly 2 adults plus driver. No older children. I've seen comments about space for strollers & supplies, which I hadn't added in yet. Guess that would be a plus!

I could use (couldn't we all!) a setup with as little bending, lifting, and contorting as possible for installing & buckling in/taking out as possible. I think that I'll just be grateful for space to safely transport in one vehicle!

Keeanh

If you can make do with 8 seats, then a new Odyssey or 04-10 Sienna. If you want to go cheaper than that, there's the Astro/Safari. That would last until the 9mos were in boosters, at which point you'd need all shoulder belts.

If you need more space, then Nissan NV or Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter. To go cheaper than that, you'd be looking at 08 or later Econoline and possibly retrofitting a couple headrests if you are transporting an adult in the back seats.

Witchysue

That gives me someplace to start! Several vehicles and years to work from and find locally.

Should I ask about car seats in a different thread? Although I guess I need to find and go over height/weight/age guidelines again and see if I can begin to at least figure that much out!

Thanks for the help!

Keeanh

Car seats will depend on budget and what vehicle you get. I could probably fit 5 Surerides in my Safari. Or if you had a larger vehicle and didn't need 3-across, 5 Surerides would probably be the most cost-effective solution. If you had a vehicle with less space you might have to do Radians outboard with MyRide centre or something like that in order to get 3-across.

MamanMag

Since budget is open I would definitely look at the Nissan NV for the car!! We have 5 girls and they all fit without problem!! We really like our van!! I'm pretty sure you could fit any type of car seats in there... I would look at convertibles that allow them to stay RF for as long as possible, the clek foonfs (note that in order to fit in it, your babies have to be at least 25" and 14#) are great and fit very well in the NV, other great options are Diono Radian, Graco my size/size4me/headwise (same seats just different names depending on where they're sold), Chicco Nextfit, I may be forgetting some but that should give you a good place to start...

I hope you feel better and congrats on your babies!! Don't forget to rest when you can ;)

Mag

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC