Vivo Vs. Monterey

Kat_Momof3

Okay... I forget who originally asked me... but I couldn't take pictures to show how the Vivo would work for the long term until today (had to get new camera batteries)

Anyway, I still want to also take pictures comparing Ruthie in the seats... but here is Jeffrey in the vivo and in the Monterey

Here he is in the Vivo... As you can see he fits very well and is not squished... As for leg room, it's not an issue. His feet are flat on the floor in this seat (I was shocked... he must have grown)... but that also may be because the base portion is not thick and tall.

I was also pleased to find this is the FIRST and ONLY booster that can go to it's tallest position and still fit in my third row.

He is using it at it's top position.

RecaroVivoJeffreyDec2009a.jpg

RecaroVivoJeffreyDec2009b.jpg

He has enough room in it that I would feel very comfortable thinking he might be able to pass the 5-step test after this booster... but even if he couldn't, it's so nice and tall that I would be fine with any child (even kids who are taller at his age) going to a backless booster afterwards. I actually wish it converted to backless, because it IS so thin, it would be FABULOUS for taller kids who don't fit the belt properly but who otherwise wouldn't have enough head support with other backless boosters.

And now here he is in the Monterey (fully widened

MontereyJeffreyDec2009.jpg

He's equally comfortable in it, but he did say he really loved the softness of the Vivo fabric. His feet are not flat on the floor on this one, because it is a thicker/taller base... but the depth gives him all that leg support, so his legs are fine.

And the Monterey does go a bit taller... here he is with the headrest raised up (he uses it on the 2nd to last slot... so he only has this one last notch left... but his brother passed the 5-step test before he outgrew it, so I'm not worried)

GrowRoomLeftDec2009.jpg

Anyway, as you can see, even broader children should fit fine in the Vivo in the long term, unless they are noticeably chunkier than Jeffrey.

He's 4' 5" tall and 80lbs... wears size 10-12pants (depending on fit) and size 12 shirts.

I'll update tomorrow with shots of Ruthie in both boosters.

ETA - I popped out the captains' chair with Ruthie's seat on it because it was easier to get a good shot of the Vivo without having to uninstall the Monterey (which is installed with latch)

ADS

ginny4

it was me who asked! thank you SOOOOO MUCH. tho it doesn't help me choose. i'd have to find a vivo at a good price with decent DOM to get it. i'm interested in seeing ruthie in pics too as my DD seems to be of similar size as her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So many good pictures, thanks, Kat. I think I've finally decided I *need* a Vivo... now that they are all full price again and new online, right? Couldn't have figured this out when they were cheap at BigLots? ROFL!

Kat_Momof3

I didn't get Ruthie in them today... too much going on... I'm very very dizzy for some reason, too.

But I swear, tomorrow I shall.

My big lots still has them, but not sure about other places.

Online, this has the best price (only on Blush and Cobalt) at 59.99 (other colors are 79.99) - http://carseats.babycatalog.com/booster-car-seats/vivo-booster-seat/351.html

But I'm so thrilled with it and now am not sure if I'm going to keep the Monterey once Jeffrey outgrows it (though it does go a bit taller, but Ruthie just isn't as tall as the boys were, and REALLY not as heavy or broad)... I guess I'll play it by ear... cause of course the fact it it so low profile means it will probably due better in dh's car long term than other booster have...

I wish they would release the new prints and all, so that we could see them.

Kat_Momof3

Okay... WAY WAY longer than intended went by, but I finally talked Ruthie into letting me take a pic of her in Jeffrey's booster (pardon the messy face... she was bribed with a big cup of chocolate soymilk)

anyway... the belt fit is better than it was when she was littler (am posting that shot so you can see), but still not as good as in the Vivo... I'm hoping it will be comparable by the time Jeffrey outgrows the Monterey... she's filling out the seat a lot better than she used to

Last year - Monterey
MontereyRuthie908-2.jpg

MontereyRuthie908-3.jpg

Today - Monterey - if you look, she's actually using the same slot that it was at to give her a good belt fit last year, where the headrest was then too high up for her... height and weight really do make a difference.... she no longer tries to slouch in this seat (which you may or may not be able to tell from the pics) as her knees bend naturally where
RuthieJan2010Monterey.jpg

Today - Vivo
RuthieJan2010Vivo.jpg

This one obviously fits her better, still, and will for at least another year, I think.

babyherder

My Big Lots still has vivos for $65. But if they're $68 for new ones online I'd go with that. Big Lots only has blush and cobalt anyway.

Jan06twinmom

Thank you so much for posting these pictures.

How big is Ruthie in the pictures? I knew that the Vivo worked well for smaller kids, but it's great to see how well it works for bigger kids too.

So having both seats and seeing how they fit your children at different ages and sized, what is your preference and why?

We're about 6-9 months away from seriously looking at boosters for my DS, but I have the Monterey, Vivo and Parkway SG on my short list already. As we get closer to needing one, I'll definitely take my DS to sit in the seats to figure out which one fits hims best, but I'm also practical to want/hope that it will fit him over the long term too! My DS has about an inch of torso growing room in the Radian right now. He just turned 5 yesterday so he's going to end up in a booster sooner than I had hoped! He's about 46.5in tall and weighs 54lbs and I found out that he's off the chart for height and weight.

Thanks again!

Melanie

Kat_Momof3

Jeffrey is the big one... lol... 4'4.5" and 80lbs

Ruthie is about 46" and 48lbs (her weight fluxuates like Damian's used to at this age)

Having both, my preference is both... lol.. because I like the larger amount of side support and the width-adjustment for Jeffrey... even though he fits just fine in the Recaro...

for Ruthie, I just couldn't put her in such a big wide seat, obviously.

And for Damian, I still WISH they'd been on the market... he was so skinny for so long, the Recaro would have been better than the old Parkway for him... and the Monterey essential for a child who hit 4'9" by 8yrs old...

really, these are my two favorite boosters in the price range (under 130 dollars)

Ruthie is the only one of us with a clear preference... and it's color... lol.. she kept telling me... No, mommy, I want to sit in this one... it's pink! If I got a pink cover for the Monterey (which I will if I keep it after Jeffrey outgrows it), I think she'd be as unable to choose a favorite as I am.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I may have to try the vivo for my tiny ds when the time comes. Poor kid is never going to hit 40 lbs. Not that he cares. Luckily he is the opposite of dd who was begging for a booster when she was 4. He just doesn't seem to care!

I have posted pics of my dd in the Monterey and she is about the same weight and size. When the side wings are adjusted properly she fits well in it and I am not one bit worried about her in it. If only the wings didn't adjust themselves into a wider position.

kphil

Thanks for those pictures! I asked on a recent thread and you shared the ones of Jeffrey, and seeing the ones of Ruthie in the seats now too helps me a lot. I think the Vivo would be a great backup booster for us--would fit both my almost-10yo and my narrower 7yo. It's also good to hear it fits on the high setting in the 3rd row. What car are you driving?

Kat_Momof3

I drive a Dodge Caravan (not Grand... 2005)

I'm not uncomfortable really anymore with Ruthie in the Monterey... I just prefer the fit in the Vivo because of the position of the shoulderbelt (and with the way my captain's chairs curve in at the sides, we have the opposite problem... them wanting to narrow). I am just not going to to assume that the belt fit will be what I want until I try her in it again when Jeffrey outgrows it. He knows I sold and shipped out the Olli, so he has no other choice than to stay in a highback till it's outgrown now. (he can't just swipe it out of his dad's car now that he can use the middle seat with just the seatbelt there)

Not that he was asking, but in case he would. I just decided since we had the seat that he COULD ride in until it was outgrown, and it was safer, I shouldn't even give him the option of something else in my van.

I figure if he doesn't pass the 5-step test when he outgrows the Monterey, I'll either let him use it backless or I'll get him a Combi Dakota.

ginny4

oh thank you thank you!
its great to see the pics of ruthie too. victoria is so similar in size to her. i liek the fit of the vivo on her. so snugly. she fits the monterey so much better too than a year ago. WOW. does she still have lots of wiggle room in the monterey? the wiggle room for victoria is what i'm worried about as she is a leaner. tho i know i can check the fit again befroe i make the final decision of what booster she will use (in about 3-4months)

i'm so torn.....i asked victoria if she'd like the crimson red & she said PINK. i want a PINK SEAT! UGH. i don't wanna buy an older seat just for the color. i wanted to have her use it & then her younger brother can have it later. he will not go for pink. if recaro doesn't come out with new coover choices by April (birthday on early may) then i'm gonna have to just get her a cute pink turbo & when her brother needs the booster i already have a boys cover from my older guys to put on it. i'm debating on whetehr i will keep the monterey......it'll expire before my young DS will be able to use it. this seems so complicated!!

Kat_Momof3

she doesn't have as much wiggle room as she did, but the Vivo definitely hugs her a little more...

I don't know what's going on with Recaro and the Vivo fabrics... I emailed them asking them about new fabrics and such for the Vivo and haven't gotten a response... I may have to try calling them on Monday.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Kat, thanks to this thread, I bought a Vivo for my girls. DD1 hopped right into it and just went ON about how great it is, it's cushy under her butt, her feet reach the floor, the headwings are padded and cozy, she even said it's warmer than her Parkway (which is denim on the bum and short pile velour on the headwings). As much as she loved the Woodstock pattern on the PW, she loves this seat so much she doesn't care about what it looks like (which is like an Elephant, being pink and grey and all :whistle:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Is there a Big Lots store in your area? Some Big Lots have Vivos or had Vivos, they were reportedly at BL a while ago, but some have found Vivos there pretty recently, too. You might be able to score one there.

Kat_Momof3

Kat, thanks to this thread, I bought a Vivo for my girls. DD1 hopped right into it and just went ON about how great it is, it's cushy under her butt, her feet reach the floor, the headwings are padded and cozy, she even said it's warmer than her Parkway (which is denim on the bum and short pile velour on the headwings). As much as she loved the Woodstock pattern on the PW, she loves this seat so much she doesn't care about what it looks like (which is like an Elephant, being pink and grey and all :whistle:)

I'm glad she loves it as much as we do. I'm not surprised she loves it, being such a leggy girl... sometimes sitting lower and being able to have the feet on the floor is more comfy than a deep seat.

You'll HAVE to post some pics! she's much bigger than Ruthie (I think she's about Jeffrey's size, but Damian's age, right?)

cookie123

Why can't the Vivo have LATCH? Although really, I think Ruthie looks pretty good in the Monterey. I'll have to take Hannah over to USA Baby soon and give it a try. I'm going to replace the TBs whenever I can decide. I just don't like them and I want LATCH.

I do see how it wasn't as good a fit last year. How big was she then, do you recall?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, have to measure her again, it's been awhile since I've checked! She's 10y3m and 75 lbs and wearing mostly 12 pants and 12/14 shirts lately... that Bitsy nickname is really not working anymore :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC