Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #41
Patriot201
Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Patriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Daycare & Foster Parent Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
Different strokes ...
Yup! Different strokes.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
Learning to cope with the unexpected...
Patriot201 is offline   Reply With Quote

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #42
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Xandra is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyherder
If you have an infant seat I'd skip the coccoro and get another radian. The radians will fit larger children as well as infants. Also, if you ever have 2 infants at once and want another infant seat its easy to go to a local store and buy one. If you have 2 toddlers and want to rf both of them you might need 2 seats larger than the coccoro but you will probably need to order a radian and wait for it to arrive. I'd wait to buy the cruz and the literider until you have someone to use them. The monterry can be used backless until you get a cruz or literider if you need. Of course, if you want to buy a lot of seats don't let me stop you!
Thank-you! You're right about the 2 radians, hadn't thought of that! I guess the Cocorro can wait until later when I want something to play with lol! And good idea on the NB boosters, I can get those at Target anytime. Thanks again!
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Xandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Baylor
Senior Community Member

Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!Baylor IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Are you going to have the seats checked for these kids? Just curious. I would if part of my job was transporting lots of kids.

auto correct hates me
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #44
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar

I would be beyond thrilled to have a daycare provider that was actively seeking car seat advice and wanted to drive my children around. I hate being "stuck " and I actually want my children to experience all things within reasonable travel distance of home. Different strokes ...
Oh we definitely won't be stuck in the house! I live within walking distance of a library, movie theater, grocery store, etc! I plan on taking the kids to the library weekly to check out books. I also live across the street from a major river here (all tho it's always dry lol) which has bike paths and walking paths that I plan on taking the kids on! We also have a ninja park a few houses down!
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #45
emandbri
CPS Technician

emandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
I would be beyond thrilled to have a daycare provider that was actively seeking car seat advice and wanted to drive my children around. I hate being "stuck " and I actually want my children to experience all things within reasonable travel distance of home. Different strokes ...

You would have loved to leave your kids with me! We go out every day! Yesterday I took the 4 year old I watch to the science center and we touched a piece of Mars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Oh we definitely won't be stuck in the house! I live within walking distance of a library, movie theater, grocery store, etc! I plan on taking the kids to the library weekly to check out books. I also live across the street from a major river here (all tho it's always dry lol) which has bike paths and walking paths that I plan on taking the kids on! We also have a ninja park a few houses down!
I want to live where you live! Jealous! There is a walking/bike path not too far from me. I really wanted to buy a house closer to it but the houses were the same size as mine and $30,000 more.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.
emandbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #46
SignCuer
CPS Technician

SignCuer is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorSignCuer is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra
My employee will be here with the fill-in, which is why fill-in only needs a background check and fingerprints. Only one person needs to be present with all of the CPR, first aid, communicable, etc, at a time.

The 20% rule is based on your available hours. Just because I only enroll kids from 7-6 doesn't mean I'm not available earlier or later in an emergency. So, I can be gone 20% of my available hours, which are 6-7.

And I would imagine the reason the ones already enrolled had given permission is because they know me personally. They attend my church and I have worked there as a teacher for years, as well as babysat some of their kids. So I imagine they just trust me. This is also the deaf community, who are generally much more laid back than the hearing community. I'm fluent in ASL and 3/4 deaf without my hearing aids, so a lot of people from the deaf church within my church have been trying to get their kids enrolled with me.
Sorry a bit OT, but where do you live, just curious? I'm deaf myself and would love to know more of the deaf members around here on CS.org (If you don't want to post here, can PM me )

Personally I think what you are doing is awesome!! Yeah, knowing the deaf community Glad they are willing to work with you and you have backup plans regarding DC and foster kids! I'm working on opening a daycare here in my area (MD) and focusing on the deaf community since, yes we are a huge deaf community but we don't even have a daycare suited for deaf parents/caregivers! Plus looking to become a foster parent myself so will be watching this thread

Really, for me, I would love having my future kids go to a DC provider who can take them places, and such forth.. I'm a "to go" kind of gal. I can't just stay home for more than 2 hours. Heh... My future babies will be used to all of the outings from the time they are born. Lol
Thank You from:
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #47
lpperry
Senior Community Member

lpperry is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorlpperry is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I can get lots of 3-across combos with large seats across the second row. The third row is small and it is a lot trickier.

I cannot fit 3 rearfacing Radians across the third row. There is a little plastic piece on the edges of the third row bench. It makes it so you cannot slide the Radian all the way to the wall of the car because the feet can't fit in the bite due to the plastic thing. So, even though the Radian is narrow, since it can't go flush with the wall of the car, it takes up a lot of space.

I have a rf corroco, rf Radian, rf Avenue. I could not fit two Avenues with the Radian--it was too wide. It would have worked if the Radians could go outboard and touch the wall of the car, but since they can't, the Radian really needs to be center to make a 3 across work.

If you use the Radians forward facing, I am sure you will have much more luck because you won't have to worry about the feet in the bite of the seat.

Oliver (5 years) ff Radian RXT, Claudia (3 1/2 years) rf Radian RXT, Avery (2 years months) rf Coccoro, Vivian (3-14) rf Coccoro, Madeline (9) Literider,
lpperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #48
emtb79
CPS Technician

emtb79 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoremtb79 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
And for boosters I'd probably get a couple Graco turbo boosters. Then you have highback and backless.

I know daycare providers that driver the kids, one is a friend on here. As a parent I could consider my daycare provider taking my kids for field trips and such, but not to court dates and visits for foster kids and such. Maybe you should find someone that can be a substitute for you?
I am that daycare provider that Kathy speaks of. I take the kids on field trips, storytime, and Jumpbunch. The parents know ahead of time that I take the kids places, and if they dont like it when they are interviewing then there is the door because I'm not staying home I cant. I have taken them to Olive Garden and Red robin to practice proper etiquette out in public, they are really well rounded by the time they get to school. They have accompanied to a doctors appt one time because my mom the sub couldnt get off work and it was to remove my stitches.

We have also gone to the school-agers Kindergarten and pre-k graduations.

emtb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Phineasmama
CPS Technician

Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Me too, but to fun places for kids. Like the sprinkler park or the zoo.
Phineasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #50
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignCuer

Sorry a bit OT, but where do you live, just curious? I'm deaf myself and would love to know more of the deaf members around here on CS.org (If you don't want to post here, can PM me )

Personally I think what you are doing is awesome!! Yeah, knowing the deaf community Glad they are willing to work with you and you have backup plans regarding DC and foster kids! I'm working on opening a daycare here in my area (MD) and focusing on the deaf community since, yes we are a huge deaf community but we don't even have a daycare suited for deaf parents/caregivers! Plus looking to become a foster parent myself so will be watching this thread

Really, for me, I would love having my future kids go to a DC provider who can take them places, and such forth.. I'm a "to go" kind of gal. I can't just stay home for more than 2 hours. Heh... My future babies will be used to all of the outings from the time they are born. Lol
I'm in California. I can PM you the church info if you want
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #51
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpperry
I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I can get lots of 3-across combos with large seats across the second row. The third row is small and it is a lot trickier.

I cannot fit 3 rearfacing Radians across the third row. There is a little plastic piece on the edges of the third row bench. It makes it so you cannot slide the Radian all the way to the wall of the car because the feet can't fit in the bite due to the plastic thing. So, even though the Radian is narrow, since it can't go flush with the wall of the car, it takes up a lot of space.

I have a rf corroco, rf Radian, rf Avenue. I could not fit two Avenues with the Radian--it was too wide. It would have worked if the Radians could go outboard and touch the wall of the car, but since they can't, the Radian really needs to be center to make a 3 across work.

If you use the Radians forward facing, I am sure you will have much more luck because you won't have to worry about the feet in the bite of the seat.
Thanks for that info! I'm leaning towards getting the Sienna. They'll give me more trade-in for my Camry as well!
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #52
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor
Are you going to have the seats checked for these kids? Just curious. I would if part of my job was transporting lots of kids.

auto correct hates me
Sorry missed this - I want to, I just need to find someone in my area. Every time I go to get installs checked they say it's great. Don't know where to get it done here though. I want to get certified as a tech but the closest course is 2 1/2hrs away
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #53
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emandbri

You would have loved to leave your kids with me! We go out every day! Yesterday I took the 4 year old I watch to the science center and we touched a piece of Mars!

I want to live where you live! Jealous! There is a walking/bike path not too far from me. I really wanted to buy a house closer to it but the houses were the same size as mine and $30,000 more.
Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but I rent to own from my Aunt, she does it for a living It'll just take longer!
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #54
ElfJewel
CPS Technician

ElfJewel has disabled reputation

I have a 2011 Odyssey (EX?). The 2nd row is wide and has 3 full sets of LATCH. I can fit pretty much anything I want there (the center seat is narrower but lots of seats will fit on it). The third row is very narrow and only has 2 full sets of LATCH (outboard) and a TA in the center. In the 3rd row we have done 3 RF Radians, 2 RF Radians outboard with a FF Radian center (didn't like how it installed FF though), and 2 RF Radians on the 60 portion and a Maestro on the 40 side. There aren't many options back there, and it requires at least 2 Radians. We used to have an older (2007) Odyssey and I only needed one Radian.

Julia RN, CPST and Mom to 6 crazy kids:
M (11), K (10), J (8), I (6), E (4), and Baby C (9/13)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey
ElfJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #55
safeinthecar
Moderator - CPS Technician

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I'm in California. I can PM you the church info if you want
Your IP addy indicates you aren't far North of the Grapevine. . There are some really great techs at SafetyBeltSafe in LA.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #56
Xandra
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar

Your IP addy indicates you aren't far North of the Grapevine. . There are some really great techs at SafetyBeltSafe in LA.
Maybe about 45mins away from the Grapevine, 2 1/2hrs from LA
FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!