Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Jan06twinmom
CPS Fanatic

Jan06twinmom is almost a CPS know-it-allJan06twinmom is almost a CPS know-it-allJan06twinmom is almost a CPS know-it-allJan06twinmom is almost a CPS know-it-allJan06twinmom is almost a CPS know-it-all
Pushing chest clip down - safe option?

My friend's daughter was pushing the chest clip on her car seat down off of her chest. She has her DD in a Britax roundabout. She said she is using the Bevera sealing clips from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70083252/) below the clip. She puts the sealing clip below the chest clip and her DD wasn't able to move the chest clip down anymore.

Do you know if this is a safe option?

If it is not a safe option, can you please explain why?

Thanks!

Melanie

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
aept
Carseat Crazy

aept is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoraept is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Is that a clip for sealing up a bag of chips (or similar kitchen functions?)
C - June 2011, 37 lb, 37.5", RF Radian RXT or FF RN65
aept is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
tam_shops
CPS Technician

tam_shops is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authortam_shops is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Re: Pushing chest clip down - safe option?

Yes, that is a bag for sealing chips/cookies ie open bags.

I would *not* do that. I would worry that it may either pop off in an accident and hit a child in the face/head, you know that sippy cup to the head child, sort of theory.

I would either put a coat on the child backwards.
or
I would put a fleece (or other light) jacket on the child unzipped. Then put the child in the car seat. Do up the straps. Pull the jacket out/around the straps. Do the zipper up *over* the straps.

tam
tam_shops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I like it in THEORY... because it obviously solves the problem, wouldn't interfere with the harness fit and it doesn't involve duct tape or something that can't be removed later... and it's pretty inexpensive.

HOWEVER... in ACTUALITY, you're adding something to the seat the manufacturer doesn't approve of.

I wish they could/would offer something like this with the seat for this purpose... and what an easy inexpensive type of thing it would be.

HOWEVER without proper testing, we don't know what damage it might do to the straps, not to mention the projectile issue the pp mentioned.

How old is the child? I know it's getting to be summertime, so what I would do is put a vest on the kiddo and do it like the carseat coat cheat... zip it up OVER the tightened harness... see if that deters the kid. (or take a very thin jacket that is otherwise outgrown (arms too short but otherwise fits) and cut the sleeves off

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos
Kat_Momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
aeormsby
Senior Community Member

aeormsby is almost a CPS know-it-allaeormsby is almost a CPS know-it-allaeormsby is almost a CPS know-it-allaeormsby is almost a CPS know-it-all

There's also this if all other typical options aren't working: http://www.overstock.com/Baby/My-Gua...d64d58a5b30af0

I'd also worry about the chip clip damaging the straps with continued use.

DD - 1/06 - Backless PWSGL, FR80 booster & Harmony Literider
DS - 12/07 - Recaro Performance Booster, Vivo & Harmony Literider
And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel
aeormsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
honeydew
Senior Community Member

honeydew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorhoneydew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
I have those Ikea clips and I wouldn't worry about them damaging a harness. That said, I'd never recommend someone use them for the reasons already stated.

I'll attach a picture of the inside of the clip. The worst I imagine it could do is leave a dent in the harness but again, it's not something I would want to bargain with.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1243812653.jpg (505.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image-586708862.jpg (472.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Kac
CPS Technician

Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I wouldn't use it because there's no way to know what it does to the harness or what would happen in a crash.

How old is she?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I know it looks a lot like a lockoff to me... and so I doubt it would do OBVIOUS damage, but (I assume) carseat companies do a lot of testing before approving lockoffs... and those go on seatbelts that are (again I assume) made quite differently than harnesses and then we have still on occasion had ones we don't like that dent our seatbelts for quite sometime or have even done worse. Harnesses aren't made to have to hold the weights seatbelts are, which is why I assume they aren't made to the same degree of tightly woven ultra strong stuff and why I worry that there would be some small degree of unseen damage.

Again, I would love to see something like this be designed, tested, and allowed (maybe even with a strap that connects them to the carseat or the carseat cover)

honeydew, see if you can take some with you if you go to the next ABC and see if you can harass a carseat manufacturer into it please!

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!