Question Help! Almost 2-year-old unbuckled seat-belt installed RF Radian

threeundertwo

Help! Was loading my almost two-year-old twins into their RF Radians through the hatch of our Mazda5 when I noticed one was playing with the buckle of the seat belt, i.e. it was fully unbuckled and completely retracted from the car seat. Not sure when this happened and am definitely concerned about it happening again, especially while we're on the road. I'm assuming either she or her brother rested their foot on the seat belt buckle and it released. Is there an easy way to prevent this from happening? This is the 3rd row of a 2010 Mazda 5. There are no latch anchors in the 3rd row. Both 2nd row seats are occupied - one with an infant and the other with an adult. Thanks in advance for any advice.

ADS

MommyShannon

I turned the female part of the buckle once so it's facing in and harder to unbuckle. It is a different car and car seat, but maybe that will work.

aept

MommyShannon said:
I turned the female part of the buckle once so it's facing in and harder to unbuckle. It is a different car and car seat, but maybe that will work.

This is what I would try first. Turn the female buckle end 180 degrees. I have done it for one of my RN installs and it makes it much harder to unbuckle because the male buckle half ends up blocking the release button. Hopefully your Mazda buckles are like my Toyota ones.

Baylor

You may want to switch the child to other seat too. It may be they can not perform the same trick with the other foot.

auto correct hates me

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I routinely intall car seats with the female end of the buckle flipped over whenever there are other toddlers in that row, booster riders, or even adults who may be buckling/unbuckling without being able to see what they are doing. I just see accidental unbucklings happen way too often, and this seems to solve the problem most of the time.

Keeanh

I just install every seat with the buckle backwards no matter what. Too many kids climbing around my seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC