Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
jrv4babies

jrv4babies is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
Alpha Elite 65 for 5 yr old and 5 mo old

I am considering to get one seat for my sitter instead of two seats.

I have 3 children. She has a marathon that stays in her car all the time for my 2 yr old.

However I need to get her another seat for transporting my 5 month old and my 5 year old. She never transports all 3 children at once. So it is conceivable to use one seat for the job.

My thoughts are this...

**the seat is going to be coming in and out frequently no matter what, so at least if it's one seat to learn vs two, that could reduces installation errors
**the alpha elite 65 could be easily adjusted (harness height) between the two children
**price is reasonable (compared to a $275 recaro)

Thoughts?
Something I'm not considering?

Thank you!!!!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
jrv4babies

jrv4babies is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
Re: Alpha Elite 65 for 5 yr old and 5 mo old

Forgot to mention
My 5 year old is 44" and 42 lbs
:-)
jrv4babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy
in a 2011 BMW 535i, and my 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Brigala
CPS Technician

Brigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org Leader

If I'm not mistaken, the bottom slots on that seat are pretty high. Your 5 month old might not fit in it for a few more months.

The Complete Air would have the same problem.

What do you consider "reasonable" as far as price?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Brigala
CPS Technician

Brigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBrigala is a Car-Seat.org Leader

The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Jessica61624
CPS Fanatic

Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Is your two year old FF or RF?
Jessica61624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Jessica61624
CPS Fanatic

Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jessica61624 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigala
The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.
It's this seat
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=12003514

It's huge irl.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
canadiangie
Ambassador - CPS Technician

canadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though , that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?
canadiangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Jessica61624
CPS Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangie
I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though , that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?
My though was if the 2 year old is FF she could get a complete air and install FF. And the move the marathon when needed since its usually an easier install.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
jennlana

jennlana has disabled reputation

Both my girls at 5 months old fit in the AE. But I agree, RF install was a pain. I had to use a pool noodle or a rolled up towel to get the right angle. FF install was easy though.
jennlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
henrietta
CPS Technician

henrietta is almost a CPS know-it-allhenrietta is almost a CPS know-it-allhenrietta is almost a CPS know-it-allhenrietta is almost a CPS know-it-allhenrietta is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy
I agree w/Wendy on this. The EFTA 65 would be easier--it's simple to switch the harness (it's on an infinite slide), it's a piece of cake to change it from rear-facing to forward facing, and it's an easy install--almost as easy as the MA, sometimes easier.

BUT--where are your 5 yr olds shoulders in relation to the top slots of the MA? What seat does she usually ride in and where are her shoulders in relation to it's top slots? My child had outgrown the MA by 44" tall, but he was a bit longer torsoed back then. The EFTA will last bit longer height wise than the MA. The True Fit will last even longer than it.

henrietta
#1, age 8.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, Cybex hbb/Harmony hb folding booster
#2, age 5.5, Evenflo Secure Kid 300, Harmony hb folding booster/Cybex hbb/Evenflo hbb
#3 age 6 weeks, Combi Cocorro

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!