Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Links

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum for Questions. Ask for help finding the best rear-facing, forward-facing or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles! Discuss Infant, Convertible & Combination Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Unregistered

Seats that will allow an adult to sit in back in 2009 Forester

We have a 2009 Subaru Forester. We need to be able to fit an adult in the backseat with our car seats occasionally. We currently have a Frontier 85 for our 34 lb 37" 3 1/2 DS and a Symphony65 e3 for our RF 23 lbs 31" 18 month old DD. We definitely can't fit anyone between the two seats now and they are too wide to put next to each other.

I was thinking of getting a Radian for our DD and putting the Symphony in our other car. Does anyone know if the combo of a Radian and a Frontier will work to create more room back there or would I need to get 2 Radians?

We have an Argos for our DS in our other car - is that any narrower than the Frontier or are they about the same? We just got the Argos so if another seat (like SecureKid maybe) would be narrower that it also an option.

We are planning on having more kids within a couple years, so we will eventually need to put 3 car seats either in my car or get a bigger car ( I am just trying to put off the car purchase for a bit if we can).

Thank you do much for the help!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Sponsored Links

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
EmmaCPST
CPST Instructor

EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: Seats that will allow an adult to sit in back in 2009 Forester

I can fit a Frontier 85 outboard and a RF Radian in the center of my 98 Honda CRV and still have comfortable room for an adult outboard, so yes that would probably work in terms of space.

The challenge, though, is that the Forester is a notoriously difficult Radian install. The long belt stalks and center hump can make it very difficult, I haven't heard if the angle adjuster helps much - in some cases it changes the geometry enough to make the install much easier. Alternatively, you could try putting the Radian outboard with LATCH if the Frontier install is any easier in the center with the seat belt.

I also put a Complete Air RF center next to a Frontier outboard in my car and I could fit on the other side, but I was pretty squashed. Hip space across that took up 37"... I think the Radian + Frontier was about 35".
Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
creideamh
CPS Technician

creideamh is almost a CPS know-it-allcreideamh is almost a CPS know-it-allcreideamh is almost a CPS know-it-allcreideamh is almost a CPS know-it-allcreideamh is almost a CPS know-it-all

Don't forget about the recall on the center seatbelt, too.

I reaaaaally don't think you'll be able to do Frontier and Radian side by side. I don't know for sure, but my mom has a 2010 Forester, and it has just about as much side to side room as my Prius (although my car has much more room front to back, hehe.) I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't really see it working because of the contours of the outboard seats. Definitely buy from somewhere with easy returns
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
safeinthecar
Moderator - CPS Technician

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I think you are working on a pipe dream unfortunately. I don't see how you could fit a frontier in with anything but a Radian, and the Radian doesn't play nice with a Forrester.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
pastrygirl
CPS Technician

pastrygirl is a popular Car-Seat.org writer
Nevermind having car seats in the back; I doubt an average adult even fits in the center position. I don't fit in my '09 center seat without any car seats installed. That position is VERY narrow.
pastrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
SuzaBanana
Senior Community Member

SuzaBanana is almost a CPS know-it-allSuzaBanana is almost a CPS know-it-allSuzaBanana is almost a CPS know-it-allSuzaBanana is almost a CPS know-it-allSuzaBanana is almost a CPS know-it-all

As a former Forester owner, I'm going to to the rest of the PPs who said No way, No how. Sorry! The Forester is just awful for car seats. Radians are nearly impossible RF, the center is rough to get much of anything in of certain models due to the hump etc. I'd pretty much forget getting 2 seats & an adult in the back or any 3-across. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they will require a lot of blood, sweat, tears, cursing & rage.

Trade it for an Outback - much more friendly to play with!

integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!