New Dorel Seats at BRU (Pic Heavy)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
What are the minimum weight limits? Are any of them higher than newborn weights because their lowest slots are typically ten inches?

Typed with fat fingers on a tiny touchscreen keyboard, please excuse typos and autocorrects...

They all start at 5 lbs, I think the Pria might start at 4. The Pria will fit a tiny baby and the Easy Fit might. The Alpha Omega definitely won't and I'm not sure about the Aquos. I am going to try and make another trip to BRU with a tape measure and no baby on my back trying to "help" so I can get more info.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I stopped at BRU tonight!

They had the new 65 lb Alpha Omega there, as well as the Aquos and the Easy Fit. The lady said the Pria had come in a few hours earlier but wasn't up yet.

She loaned me a tape measure so I took a few measurements. I didn't write anything down, and I didn't take complete measurements. I had my baby with me and she was busy making messy diapers for me to clean up in the mommy's room. :p

Anyway, I measured the AO top harness height at 17" or so. The top harness height on both the Aquos and the Easy Fit were roughly 16". I didn't measure the lowest position on either one. I could see that the bottom slots on the Easy Fit were in no way appropriate for a newborn. I did not move the harness on the Aquos down to the lowest position to evaluate how low it went.

The level line on the side of all three seats appears to still put the seats at a pretty steep (~45 degree) recline. Not quite as bad as my CA (brief digression: I'm beginning to think that some CAs actually recline further than others; mine reclines to 53 degrees if the line is level). I played with the My Ride briefly while I was there, and was shocked at how much more upright the ball-level put the seat at for rear facing.

bnsnyde

I don't see any advantages to them for me, personally, BUT if it means there is another seat on the market that fits 3 across (or claims to) besides an expensive, (and often difficult to install) Radian, that's a good step.

Though, without a really high harness even that won't help us. If they could do 3 across with a harness height like the Frontier, that would be awesome
!

msg221

I saw these when I was at BRU yesterday picking up that bargain priced MR. I didn't really play with any of them, but I did NOT like the fabric on that Pria, at all. Black polyester would be an oven in Phoenix. Plus it looks like it would snag really easily and would look a mess in no time at all.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They have the level line and typical Dorel restrictions such as no RF after 40" and must be 34" to FF. I would check with Dorel about the angle, I would guess that they are going to give the same information that they did with the CA.

I know that the one seat - the Pria I think, has a line that has to be level, but it leaves the seat more upright. The tiny fit insert changes the interior angle of the seat to be 45* without the shell itself being installed at a 45* angle. At least that's what the pdf slides of their continuing education presentation said. They were advertising it as taking up less room front to back and being more upright for older children.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think the PP is right about the Pria having a more upright external angle and a more reclined internal angle w/ the tiny fit insert.

Dorel said they're working on the recline issue. Sometime soon (by October, hopefully) they should have some changes w/ recline w/ future seats. They're hoping to do something w/ old seats retroactively, but it would probably involve a fix kit (new labels, instructions, etc.).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC