Radian Successful Install Thread

ommd

2008 VOLVO XC70

XTSL FF behind passenger with seatbelt or latch
XTSL RF center with about a 35 degree angle

currently the setup is center RF with a FF britax behind passenger.

it wasnt that difficult and both have a solid install that has been checked.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
2010 GMC Yukon Denali

Center, with LATCH (dedicated location), rear facing. Tethered to inner leg of driver's side seat, under the back plastic.

It's 44º and I wasn't able to get it more upright, but it's in and secure.

Wendy

CandCfam

I'm posting these for my best friend who is auntie to the 3 children in the one photo. She did the install herself, has not been checked by a CPST.

Three rear-facing RF Radians in the back bench of a 2000 Lexus RX300, seat belt installations all top tethered (PS to front passenger seat track, DS and MS to drivers seat track, one on each side of track).
DS to PS: 80SL, 65 and XTSL

344xs9g.jpg

6f9jdl.jpg

23uslk2.jpg

There is room between each of the seats as well as room between the two outboard seats and their doors.

658k9f.jpg

She said there wasn't a problem with the angle of installation.

2j5j5dv.jpg

middle and passenger side buckles.

25rntco.jpg

2dloqiu.jpg

281lz5.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I put a forward-facing Radian in the center, and a rear-facing Radian outboard in the 2010 Chevy Malibu we're renting for the week today. They went in pretty easily; 2 twists of the buckle for the forward-facing one in the center, one twist for the rear-facing outboard seat. I didn't attempt a rear-facing tether so I don't even know if you could, but it went in pretty easily, nice and upright (about 35 degrees I think) and I have quite a lot of leg room sitting in front of it (my seat is actually as far back as the driver's seat, and my husband is tall with long legs.) (Oh, and I'm a tech.)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I had successful installs both passenger outboard and center in a Kia Spectra this weekend. The center position started out at a decent angle, but I noticed reclined back to about 45* throughout the weekend. Not sure if that could be corrected with a bit of work. I had to move the passenger seat forward for the outboard install, but did not have to touch the driver's seat for the center install. I also didn't attempt to tether it (it was a last-minute install, and only needed for about 24h.)

MonkeysMom615

2001 Saturn SC
Lap/Shoulder belt installation
Rear-Facing behind passenger seat
One full twist of the buckle stalk

I did remove the headrest from the front passenger seat and nobody can sit up there now. Which is ok for us b/c this is DH's vehicle and either he's the only one in it or he takes our DS out for a Saturday morning "Father-Son Bonding" time and nobody else is with them.

It has not been inspected by a tech but once I pass the course in September it will be. :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
2010 Jeep Liberty. Rear and forward facing, all three positions, seatbelts. The center belt (locking latchplate) felt better twisted twice to lower the buckle. I'm a tech.

Forward facing behind the driver (passenger would be similar, middle was easy, no pictures of those two).
4931132666_77309202a6.jpg

Rear facing behind driver. For this driver it touched the front seat, but not enough to change the angle, or even really brace.
4931132140_104b70c19a.jpg

Rear facing middle. It looks like the Radian is touching the driver's seat, but it's just the maroon strap at the top that was touching. The shell of the seat was not, with the driver's seat in this position. Nothing on the passenger side. In case anyone is thinking three across, the pen sticking out of the seat bight shows where the Radian ended when it was on the driver's side. So two next to one another in the same direction would likely touch at the shoulder, but work just fine.
4930541901_7db9eea7cb.jpg

Rear facing passenger. Again, it looks like it's touching, but nothing more than the tether and LATCH storage straps were touching the front seat. With the front seat in this position there would be no concern with the passenger airbags.
4931130764_99cdfd3027.jpg

Easy install in all three positions. We were shooting for a three across, so the outboards were pulled out to the doors.

I would tether outboard seats to the outside front seat leg, or the inner leg (not as obviously easy). Middle position to the inner leg.

Wendy

MarathonMama

Year/Model: 2007 Kia Rondo (leather)
* 7passenger, but no TTs in 3rd row
* not checked by a tech

FF with l/s belt in all 3 positions 2nd row (2 twists outboard, 2 twists centre)
RF with LATCH both outboard positions (nice and upright)
RF with l/s belt centre (l/s belt entirely in belt path, can't get more upright than 40-45degrees, very noticeable slant but not more than 20 degrees that requires frequent reinstallation to "correct" temporarily)

RN NOT compatible RF in the outboard positions with l/s belt as the buckle stalks are too long to position away from the belt path, but not long enough to be entirely in the belt path.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 megacab with leather

RF (tethered or not), passenger side.

Installs super easy and fast with LATCH or lap-shoulder belt.

I got it as upright as about 40 degrees. I have the passenger seat where I normally do (quite far back) yet the seat doesn't touch.

LittlePeanut

2008 Subaru Impreza (need to double check paperwork for the year).

I'm a tech.

FF outboard passenger side using LATCH/UAS with top tether

Rock solid. No movement at beltpath.

Could NOT install it FF in the centre position with seatbelt due to raised location of female end the buckle sat on the beltpath. Tried twisting belt stalk down (could get 2 full revolutions) but the buckle still sat ON the beltpath.

2008 VW Passat Wagon

FF driver's side outboard tried both UAS/LATCH and seatbelt installs with TT. Both were rock solid.
RF passenger side outboard tried both UAS/LATCH and seatbelt installs with RF TT. Both were rock solid. Was able to achieve a decent toddler recline (30-35*).

U

Unregistered

Successful install of xtsl in 2006 chevy equinox.

RF on outboard drivers side. I'm 5'7" and am by no means uncomfotable in the driving position. It was checked by a tech yesterday.

tjk88

I installed my XTSL successfully in all three seats in the back of a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. Had the most room for the front seats to move back with the middle position, but I couldn't fit my SnugRide in the outboard seat, so I had to move the XTSL outboard as well.

ETA: the XTSL is RFing

Last edited:

dogmelissa

2002 Chevy silverado crew cab
Center RF with seatbelt and tether. Two twists of female belt stalk.
Rock solid:thumbsup:

I have an '02 Chev Silverado Extended cab so almost the same truck.
Centre RF with LATCH (LUAS) and rear tethered to the tether point on the front passenger seat. It's a little more upright than 45* but I'm not sure how much.

Rock solid and tech approved. :)

Melissa

emntheboys

1999 Ford Explorer- leather seats

Radian 65 (with old RF boot)

RF & FF all positions- the Radian was made for this car ;).

The center install is a little interesting due to the style of seatbelt there. It is a lapbelt that you have to pull all the way out but as you ratchet it back in, you can pull it back out a little bit. I don't really know how to describe it, but if you have this type of belt you will know it!

I tried the FF center install for the first time last night. You need to get it as tight as you can, then unbuckle, ratchet it in one more click & rebuckle. This will get rid of the slack created by the funky seatbelt.

Outboard installations are a breeze both RF & FF.

dogmelissa

Test drove an '06 Hyundai Santa Fe last night and am happy to report that a RF RN works outboard behind driver (with LUAS, not RF tethered) and still allows a 5'10" man to drive. It was a manual tranny, so have to sit a little more forward so might not work for a taller person in an automatic. Seat was upright - not sure of angle but sure wasn't 45*!

As a side note, there is no way that the RN would work in the centre of this car. There is hard plastic on one side at the bight and it threw the seat into a sideways angle (not tip) that just looked wrong. DH couldn't figure out how to tighten it properly with the weird angle so we abandoned it. It has only a lap belt in the centre.

Melissa

dogmelissa

Another test drive today so another install to post about:
2007 Kia Sportage.
Was installed RF behind driver's seat using LUAS. Not RF tethered though the seat attachment bars look like it would be very easy to do so!

Would also go nicely (more recline possible for infant and/or taller driver) in the passenger outboard seat. We also tried it in the middle. It has a lap/shoulder belt that releases at the hip to allow the belt to detach if folding seats down (belt is in ceiling). We think it would need 2 twists of that funny little stalk as well as 2 twists of the buckle to keep them both out of the belt path. But otherwise it would install nicely RF in the centre as well (it locks at the retractor, does not have locking latchplate).

Oh and this was not tech-checked again.
Melissa

rodentranger

2000 Honda Odyssey
Driver side captain's chair
RF & FF installed easily with vehicle belt.

1996 Nissan Altima
ff outboard passenger or driver with base down and buckle stalk not twisted installs pretty darn well.
rf center with buckle stalk untwisted works quite well also. I slid the "toes" of the recline foot into the seat bight and the buckle was in the belt path.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC