3 across 3rd row in Ford Windstar- will this work?

lpperry

I have all three of those seats--Scenera, Radian, and Turbobooster, plus I have a 2000 Windstar. I'd be happy to try it out for you. I know that rearfacing Scenera, Rearfacing Radian, turbobooster works, but I have never tried anything forward facing.

So, you need the 6, 4, and 2 year old back there? That is what I would do as well--put the babies in the middle and put the older ones in the back.

This is important--in your Windstar, which way do you have the center seat offset? In the third row, the seats fit differently depending on which outboard position a particular on is in. I am going to try a combo that would put your harnessed child on the outboard position that you can get to easily from the door. Then your booster child can sit on the other side. If that child needs help buckling, it's not hard to do that from the hatch. Unless you have captain chairs and then it doesn't matter.

ADS

lpperry

The Scenera is 17" wide. If that is close to the Avenue I'd love to hear how you get them to fit. I'd have either the Radian or Scenera RF depending on what fits best. Though I think the Cosco booster is wider than the TurboBooster. Ugh, this is a pain lol.

It is going to be different just because of the way the seats are. I fit an Avenue where a Scenera would not fit. However, with a different combination, it's possible a Scenera would fit where an Avenue would not. Just depends...

lpperry

This is important--in your Windstar, which way do you have the center seat offset? In the third row, the seats fit differently depending on which outboard position a particular on is in. I am going to try a combo that would put your harnessed child on the outboard position that you can get to easily from the door. Then your booster child can sit on the other side. If that child needs help buckling, it's not hard to do that from the hatch. Unless you have captain chairs and then it doesn't matter.

Never mind--I am just going to try a bunch of combos to see what fits. You can offset your seat to whatever works. It doesn't matter what it is now.

I put in the rf scenera, ff radian, and am waiting until tonight for my husband to get home with the turbobooster in his car. This is not looking too hopeful. I think it is going to be impossible to buckle. There is just not a lot of room to work with...

Don't worry though. I am going to try the three seats an every possible way. Hopefully we can figure out something that works! Hopefully you don't care which seat is rearfacing, because there might only be one combo that works! That third row seat is just small and that passenger side wheelwell is a pain!

kitkat5505

Thank you for going to so much trouble trying those out for me, it helps me so much. I don't care whether it's the Scenera or Radian that will be RF, just whatever I can get to fit lol. Yeah, it's nice I can move the second row over to make it easier to get to whatever side is necessary, though I typically end up reaching over it anyway to help buckle the boys in (the 4yo and 6yo are back there right now) lol. I wish I already had the Radian so I could just try it out so you wouldn't have to go through so much hassle for me, hopefully in the next few weeks we will get it ordered, just waiting for a check to come in.

lpperry

Thank irishmama3 for PMing me about this post. She knew I had a Windstar, plus all three of these seats! Also, thank Judi because those pictures she posted were from earlier this summer when she tried all of those combos for me because I didn't know if I should purchase an Avenue or not! I have been hoping I could help someone else out the same way!

Unfortunately, I don't have the best news for you... I managed to get a bunch of combos that fit, but buckling that booster is hard in some combos and impossible in others. I am going to post all of my pictures and comments.

FF Radian, RF Scenera, Turbobooster--this fits and you can buckle the Turbobooster. I could buckle the Turbobooster by reaching my hand under the Scenera. However, since the RF Scenera is in the middle, I don't know how you'd buckle one of the forward facers. If you offset the second row seat so that you can easily reach the booster, you are not going to be able to reach to buckle the Radian. You will not be able to buckle the booster unless the second row is offset this way. Normally, it is not hard to buckle a booster from the hatch and you could do that while you are buckling the rearfacer--however, there is NO room to buckle it because the base of the Scenera is in the way. The only way to buckle it would be to reach under the Scenera from the front of the booster.

25jjn8m.jpg

287owo1.jpg

xt2rp.jpg

1jrh1f.jpg

RF Radian, FF Scenera, Turbobooster--You would be able to reach to buckle both the FF child and the booster child. It was difficult to reach under the Scenera to buckle the booster, but not impossible. However, I am not confident in my install on this. This was the last combo I tried and I don't know if there is something wrong with the Scenera. It looked funny. I didn't really tighten it my best and I am worried that when it is tightened all the way and when a child sits in it, it will press down on the armrests of turbobooster. I could try this again in the daylight and give it my best effort if you need me too.

2unzec0.jpg

2zzu8ue.jpg

RF Scenera, FF Radian, Turbobooster--fits; impossible to buckle the booster. There is no room for a hand to reach between.

2dsqzpe.jpg

2ep3t06.jpg

FF Scenera, RF Radian, Turbobooster--fits; impossible to buckle the booster. There is no room for a hand to reach between.

2mmg0nq.jpg

f9kvb4.jpg

Turbobooster, FF Radian, RF Scenera--did not fit at all

sytg1z.jpg

In all of these combos, I buckled and tightened the harnessed seats. They were not as tight as they need to be though and I did not check for independent installation. It was hot in my garage and I am 32 weeks pregnant!

Also, looking over the pictures, I realized that I only tried one possibility of the turbobooster on the passenger side.

kitkat5505

Ooh thanks so much! I'm glad to see that there are some options that fit. I'm not too worried about being able to reach the buckle for the booster yet, as long as the Cosco booster fits the same as the Turbobooster, because DS #1's shoulders are still below the highest slot so he is 5pt harnessed. Plus the Cosco booster does not have armrests, so the issue in your second setup wouldn't be a problem. And DS#2 knows how to buckle himself well (not sure why #1 can't lol) so if I have to have the 2nd row offset to make him harder to reach that won't be too much of a problem. Then hopefully we will have another Radian by the time DS#1 outgrows the 5pt and needs to use the seatbelt so that there will be a little more wiggle room to buckle him.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

lpperry

The turbobooster is pretty narrow. I don't know if the Cosco booster will fit the same. You may have to get a different booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC