Photo comparison XTSL and Multi-Tech

delgirrrl

Hi all, just for interest's sake, a photo comparison for size of the Radian XTSL and the Britax Multi Tech. Both seats are installed RF in our 2000 Toyota Camry, with seatbelt install, with seats at top slots. (Please no critique of the installs, they were 'quick and dirty' for the purpose of the exercise, and have since been removed and reinstalled.)

The Radian is the US model, so RF to 20 kg/45 lb. The Multi-Tech from Sweden RF to 25kg/55 lb.

Model #1 DS 4yrs8mo measured up today at 115cm (45.25 in) with a 40.5cm (16 in) torso. Weight 23 kg (50 lb). NOTE THIS MAKES HIM TOO HEAVY TO RF IN THE RADIAN, BUT HE CAN STILL RF IN THE MULTI-TECH.

Model #2 DD 2yr7mo measured today at 93cm (36.5in) with a 33.5cm (13 in) torso. Weight 14 kg (31 lb).

Kids are very large for their ages, and solid.

At top slots, DS's shoulders in the MT are about 1cm below the straps, and the XTSL his shoulders are about 2-3cm below the straps. Room on DD is shown in close-ups.

Happy viewing!

Last edited:
ADS

delgirrrl

You're welcome :)

Just a couple of observations - the Radian takes up more room RF (despite having a fairly upright install) than the MT. There is more legroom available in the MT. However, DS still said he was very comfy in the Radian.
MT is seatbelt only install (ie no LATCH/ISOFIX).

If size/weight was your only consideration when comparing these two, (and we all know it never is, but hey!!), then my two cents worth is that unless you have a particularly HEAVY child (as opposed to tall) then you are unlikely to get much longer use out of an MT than an XTSL, despite the extra weight allowance. That said, if you have a heavy child, the MT may be a better option for ERF. As per the pics, my boy can still RF in the MT, but not the Radian - and yes, I believe it would be possible to get to 25kg in the MT before outgrowing it.:twocents:

***** please note post from adventuredad below, as he corrects my assumption that the MT could only be used until the shoulders were level with the top slots - which kinda makes this observation less valid! :)******

Last edited:

Adventuredad

Thanks for the great photos:) A bit confused about your son only having about 1 cm of space left......

- It looks like your son has about 10 cm of space to grow in his Multi Tech. He can use the Multi Tech until tip of ears are at top of seat shell. Looking at the photos that is still far away. The "1-inch rule" which apply to many US seats does not apply.

- We recommend keeping harness at or above shoulders just as you say but safety is not negatively affected as long as tip of ears are not above top of seat shell. Your son could therefore keep using his MT for a long time even if harness is a bit below shoulders.

delgirrrl

Thanks for the great photos:) A bit confused about your son only having about 1 cm of space left......

- It looks like your son has about 10 cm of space to grow in his Multi Tech. He can use the Multi Tech until tip of ears are at top of seat shell. Looking at the photos that is still far away. The "1-inch rule" which apply to many US seats does not apply.

- We recommend keeping harness at or above shoulders just as you say but safety is not negatively affected as long as tip of ears are not above top of seat shell. Your son could therefore keep using his MT for a long time even if harness is a bit below shoulders.

Thanks for the clarification. I'd based my 1cm observation on the 'at or above' shoulder strap recommendation (and will edit first post to clarify, as it isn't clear I mean strap height) - but given your reassurance that below shoulders is OK, then I'd have to say that IMHO the MT is a better fit for a child of his size than the XTSL (notwithstanding the fact he is too heavy for the XTSL anyway), with more legroom.

KiwiGem

Thank you so much for posting these photos! I have people asking me occasionally what seat would give more room (leg room especially) between the Radian & the MT so it's good to be able to say that I've seen these photos.

I've currently got Miss 3.8 rf'ing in a Britax TWE & I can't believe how much more leg room she has over the Radian. I tried her in her old Brio Zento the other day too & there is no way she could comfortably ride in that anymore because of shoulder space, but the TWE will easily see her rf'ing when she turns 5!

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
If I am seeing and interpreting correctly, it looks like the MT does not have much more growing room height-wise than the XTSL, is that right? I am thinking my son will max out for RF in his XTSL by weight at about the same time he maxes out height wise (using the 1 inch rule). I would prefer to follow the 1 inch rule no matter what seat I have him in, but my goal is rear facing as long as possible. So the MT would probably only be a good purchase if my son starts growing faster weight wise than height wise?

Adventuredad

Multi Tech doesn't use the 1-inch rule, there is no safety benefit of doing so in a MT. It will therefore last far longer rear facing than Radian (and often needs far less room).

delgirrrl

If I am seeing and interpreting correctly, it looks like the MT does not have much more growing room height-wise than the XTSL, is that right? I am thinking my son will max out for RF in his XTSL by weight at about the same time he maxes out height wise (using the 1 inch rule). I would prefer to follow the 1 inch rule no matter what seat I have him in, but my goal is rear facing as long as possible. So the MT would probably only be a good purchase if my son starts growing faster weight wise than height wise?

In addition to AD's comments, I should point out that the "one inch rule" seems to be particular to US/Canadian seats - it doesn't occur in European or Australian seats. The headwings on the MT are of a much more solid construction than the XT - they really are an extension of the seat, as opposed to the headwings in the XT which, well, are kind of a nice addition for sleeping comfort IMHO...:whistle:

However, if you prefer to use that rule regardless, the pics of the headwings for both are accurate - there is equal room left in both seats for my son, in that he has about an inch in either before the top. Note though, you can see from the pics that my son is seated differently in both seats, in that in the MT he sits more upright with what seems to me to be better back positioning, kind of on the 'front' of his butt (ie, 'normal' seated position), and more on the 'back' of his butt in the XTSL, like one does when using a leg-press when lifting weights, due I can only assume to the more limited legroom and more of a recline to the seatback.

Each child is obviously different, and my views come with a solidly built top heavy son. My belief is that most children could use the XTSL RF to 20kg, and could use the MT RF to 25kg (as there is no one inch rule). However, I think some kids may have legroom issues with the XTSL when they're getting close to the 20kg mark. That should be taken in mind with the assumption that most kids (unlike my son!) would get to school age before they'd get to 20kg.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
As of now my boy is almost 3, 35-37 lbs, 35" tall (he has short little legs, so he's mostly torso), and just moved up to the 2nd to last harness slot on the Radian XTSL. Looks like he has about 3" from the top of his head to the top of the shell. Re-reading the XTSL manual, it looks like there is no 1" rule... it states the height limit is when the tops of the ears reach the top of the shell, and does not specify a lower limit for RF (it does specify the different weight limits for RF and FF right above this). I'm now okay with RF past the 1" mark. I'm trying to figure out with his current growth trend if the MT will give him significantly more RF time.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Re-reading the XTSL manual, it looks like there is no 1" rule... it states the height limit is when the tops of the ears reach the top of the shell, and does not specify a lower limit for RF (it does specify the different weight limits for RF and FF right above this). I'm now okay with RF past the 1" mark. I'm trying to figure out with his current growth trend if the MT will give him significantly more RF time.
I believe you are correct. Pixels mentioned this out the other day in another thread.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable exceeding the sell height of the Radian unless the seat was braced, which is allowed for the Radian. I would also feel comfortable doing so with a foot prop, but obviously the Radian doesn't have that.

featherhead

As of now my boy is almost 3, 35-37 lbs, 35" tall (he has short little legs, so he's mostly torso), and just moved up to the 2nd to last harness slot on the Radian XTSL. Looks like he has about 3" from the top of his head to the top of the shell. Re-reading the XTSL manual, it looks like there is no 1" rule... it states the height limit is when the tops of the ears reach the top of the shell, and does not specify a lower limit for RF (it does specify the different weight limits for RF and FF right above this). I'm now okay with RF past the 1" mark. I'm trying to figure out with his current growth trend if the MT will give him significantly more RF time.

If he just moved to the 2nd to top slot he should be able to rear-face for quite some time yet. I'm guessing he probably has more than 3 inches till the top of the shell as well. Care to post a pic?

Pixels

The headwings on the MT are of a much more solid construction than the XT - they really are an extension of the seat, as opposed to the headwings in the XT which, well, are kind of a nice addition for sleeping comfort IMHO...:whistle:

I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. The back of the Radian headwings is totally supported by the seat itself. The sides of the headwings have a steel frame. I'm not sure how it could be much more sturdy.

finn

I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. The back of the Radian headwings is totally supported by the seat itself. The sides of the headwings have a steel frame. I'm not sure how it could be much more sturdy.

The radian head wings feel flimsy to me, i feel like if i push them too far or too hard they will break, I wrapped them in bubble wrap when we traveled with the seat.

The MT head wings are solid, really solid, & thicker than the Radian head wings. When we traveled with the MT I just put the head wings down to the lowest setting & wrapped the whole seat, rather than wrapping the head wings & the seat.

hrice

The side of the headwings are not steel framed. They are plastic with EPS foam.

delgirrrl

They just feel flimsy in comparison to the MT, IMHO, maybe it's partly because they move independently of the rest of the seat, ie, wiggling them to the right height seems a bit 'interesting' to me, and makes it look like a bit of a design afterthought... But what would I know ;) seriously though, it's nice to know there's some good solid stuff in there!
(Don't get me wrong, I really like the seat, just observing some of the differences as I see them.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC