15 months - Chicco Keyfit30 vs. Radian XTSL *VERY pic heavy!*

Aurezalia

We're transitioning from a Keyfit 30 to a Radian XTSL now to get ready for the new baby, and I decided to do a comparison of the fit between the car seats now at 15 months, as well as a check on my install of the XTSL.

V is 15 months, 21 pounds, and approx. 29 inches. Torso is approx 11 inches, although he's not the most cooperative for measuring. ;) Carseats are in 2004 Hyundai Elantra.

Inside, in the Keyfit.

Distance to top of carseat
P7120086.jpg

Flattening his hair this time... I measured about .5 - 1 inch from the top for him still to grow, but I'm not sure I had the "true" top of the seat.
P7120087.jpg

You can't see it very well in this picture, but he's just hitting the top slots.
P7120089.jpg

The fit of all the straps
P7120090.jpg

In the car - slightly more room on top for him to grow?
P7120091.jpg

Fit in the car:
P7120092.jpg

Now, the XTSL

I was able to get it quite upright
P7120101.jpg

He's slightly over the second slots
P7120094.jpg

TONS of room to grow
P7120095.jpg

Fit of the straps (I think the chest clip was a tiny bit low, but we weren't going anywhere)
P7120096.jpg

Leg room - he can barely brush the back seat with his legs all the way extended. In the Keyfit, he hangs over several inches.
P7120097.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Only the first 3 pictures work for me...

And just to double check, when you measured his torso, did you measure from his bum to his shoulders while sitting? My 3.5 yr old has a 14" torso, so I am having trouble imagining an 15 month old with an 18" torso.

Aurezalia

Only the first 3 pictures work for me...

And just to double check, when you measured his torso, did you measure from his bum to his shoulders while sitting? My 3.5 yr old has a 14" torso, so I am having trouble imagining an 15 month old with an 18" torso.

No, that was a typo. I think it's about 11".

JerseyGirl'sMama

They're all working for me now. He's a cutie, by the way!

It does look like he has a tiny bit of growth room in the Keyfit, but I'd bet he is way more comfortable in the Radian.

You said he is just above the 2nd slots in the Radian, but it looks like he is actually just above the 3rd. In that harness position, you need to move the headwings down as opposed to keeping them all the way up when they are on the 1st and 2nd harness slots.

Also which position is the crotch buckle in? You don't want it in front of him.

Nice upright install! And from what I can see, your install looks great. :thumbsup:

Misty-Bug

It does look like he has a tiny bit of growth room in the Keyfit, but I'd bet he is way more comfortable in the Radian.

You said he is just above the 2nd slots in the Radian, but it looks like he is actually just above the 3rd. In that harness position, you need to move the headwings down as opposed to keeping them all the way up when they are on the 1st and 2nd harness slots.

Nice upright install! And from what I can see, your install looks great. :thumbsup:

good advice. it looks like the crotch strap comes up and rounds from under his bum to me. It is hard to tell with the cover.

I would expect a lot more room in the radian because it is a convertible seat. Good work

Aurezalia

Whoops! You're right again! I could have sworn he was above the 2nd slots, but it is the 3rd. Don't know how I miscounted. :eek: I'm messing with the headwings and those suckers are hard to get down!
Crotch buckle is in the middle slot, it's definitely in the right position, I had to pull out the buckle and move it in during the install because the 3rd slot was too far out. It's come out just slightly underneath him - 3rd slot angles in sharply. :thumbsdown:
It is tethered to the floor track of the front seat also, just realized I forgot to take pics.

Aurezalia

Don't you just love how the Radian works like a dream in Hyundai's? :love: it's like they were made for each other! He's adorable btw!

It is AWESOME! Is it like this in all Hyundai's, or just certain models? Because I need to get a bigger car soon, and I'll definitely keep that in mind!
Oh, and thank you!

U

Unregistered

it fits great in all hyundais! my 09 santa fe and hubby's 05 tucson both install radians like a DREAM!

rosey2007

Wow that is great to know about how well they install in Hyundai's. I might just have to look at this seat for my new baby(like I need anymore car seats lol).

JerseyGirl'sMama

Whoops! You're right again! I could have sworn he was above the 2nd slots, but it is the 3rd. Don't know how I miscounted. :eek: I'm messing with the headwings and those suckers are hard to get down!
Crotch buckle is in the middle slot, it's definitely in the right position, I had to pull out the buckle and move it in during the install because the 3rd slot was too far out. It's come out just slightly underneath him - 3rd slot angles in sharply.

I can totally see how you can miss that first slot, lol. To help pull the headwings down, undo the velcro just under them, and press on the top to push down.

Sounds like it's in the right position then. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

I know this is an old thread, but I am currently infant car seat shopping and own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT (4 door hatchback). Will the Chicco Keyfit 30 fit ok in my car without severly limiting space in the front seat? Would you still recommend the Chicco? And is there a better and comparable car seat if it isn't a good fit?

Aurezalia

Unregistered said:
I know this is an old thread, but I am currently infant car seat shopping and own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT (4 door hatchback). Will the Chicco Keyfit 30 fit ok in my car without severly limiting space in the front seat? Would you still recommend the Chicco? And is there a better and comparable car seat if it isn't a good fit?

Oops, just seeing this, so sorry! Yes, the keyfit is the best-fitting seat for the Elantra that I've found.

I may appear to have broken the english language, go ahead and blame my phone. Sent from my Droid

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC