Showdown: Radian XTSL Vs. 2003 Taurus Wagon

mamakc

I was hoping to find some tips for installing my two XTSL's in every position. My current preferred position is both RF side by side (middle and outboard). I like to have the option to have an adult sit in back with them if necessary. My DD is 3 1/4 so she doesnt NEED to be RF, but she still fits so that's my preferred install for her.

When I go on a long trip, I separate them ("mom Jack keeps putting his legs in my car seat waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah") lol I found that to be the easiest install, using LATCH, however it keeps loosening so now I dont trust it.

The seatbelt install is a pain in the butt! I attempted to use a locking clip to get a tighter install and I could. not. get the stupid thing buckled again! lol I finally got one of the seats in RF outboard, with about 1" of movement (good enough, but rock solid would be nice). I decided to see if installing the other one FF would be easier so I have it in the center w/ the seatbelt (my car says it's ok to "borrow" Latch in the center, but I read somewhere that sunshine kids does not allow it? I dont recall reading that in the manual though).

Basically, I want to know if anyone else has this carseat/vehicle combo and how do you have them installed and how do you do it?

Other problems I'm having is twisting the seatbelt stalk three times. It's fairly long, but I can't seem to twist it more than 2 times, and it's still too long. Also, I have a hard time pushing down on the seat and pulling the seatbelt at the same time. Is there a trick to that?

I have to move these seats by myself somewhat frequently, and often in a skirt, and usually with the kids playing around in the back of the car while I do it lol so I'd really like to practice their quirky installs so I know what i'm doing each time rather than feeling like I'm guessing/hoping to get it right. So I can do A, B, C, and know that THAT will get it installed correctly. Know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

ADS

Misty-Bug

I am sure you can get it easily installed outboard and center. You can not borrow LATCH with the radians, per radian's specs. When you use latch you don't get as much room to play. What I would do is install the one outboard behind the passenger. Buckle the seatbelt, have the seat as close to the edge of the seat as possible. Pull the shoulder portion all the way out (you should not need a locking clip in this year) then get as much slack out as you can.

now people may not agree with me saying this but then you stand outside the vehicle. Pull the shoulder belt towards you (will move the carseat a bit) and pull down. Holding the belt you should feel it tighten. Then holding the slack feed it back in. You can also get IN the seat, reach down at the buckle end and pull UP towards you.

then check for movement.

then install the center with the belt. Is it a lap/shoulder or lap belt? if it is lap shoulder I would do the same steps over again. Make sure EACH SEAT is installed independantly. So do the center after you have done the outboard one and you KNOW you can get the outboard tight. Then when you do the other seat in the center check for movement at the belt path only. THEN once everything is in there solid attach the top tethers.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was in the hospital. I am surprised no other Taurus owners piped up. Good luck. I can twist my belts 2.5 turns. Then I just flip the male end HALF a turn. Which is acceptable. It can be done.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC