Friends 21mo getting to big for marathon?

U

Unregistered

My friend has a 21month old. She has both a marathon and roundabout. Her son is forward facing(he is about 30lbs) and is almost to the top harness slot. He is about 34" tall, which is what I dont get? She isnt sure what to do. She knows forward facing the harness should be above his shoulders, and he is almost past the second to last harness and she will have to move him up to the last harness slot.

Any advice?

ADS
U

Unregistered

I should add that this is the marathon that he is outgrowing. technically he has already outgrown the roundabout, but she uses it for her spare carseat.

So her 21mo is outgrowing his marathon

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
he is almost past the second to last harness

He'll be able to remain in the seat for quite a while yet! :)
In the meantime she can begin to save for a Britax Husky > http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=553
My daughter is 30 months old & a torso-tall 38" in height ... she has lots & lots of room left in her Wizard which is basically the same as the Marathon except it has enhanced side impact protection.
However, she is less than 1/2" from outgrowing the very last strap slot in my mom's Safety 1st combination seat & being that she is barely 25 pounds [therefor not ready to use it as a booster] we're saving up for a Husky to be used in my mom's car. She has been about 1/2" away from outgrowing the Safety 1st seat for almost half a year now.
*HTH*

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

so would it be ok to use it if he was level or a little past the very top slot?

I figure she could sell her MA and RA and get a husky, they are both only about a year old so she could probably get a lot of money back.

Would it be safe for him to be in the husky at 2years?

(thinking selfishly, LOL, maybe she could give me her MA or RA for our second seat, we need one for the other car for when we go out of town, which is only once a month or 2 months)

U

Unregistered

Totally safe for him to be in a Husky at 2. Of course, he can use the MA for quite awhile longer. Once he outgrows it, he'll be perfect in the Husky. My 2 1/2 year old daughter got a Husky when she was about 38 inches tall and 34 pounds. She's 3 now, 40 inches tall and 36 pounds...we love our Husky!

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
so would it be ok to use it if he was level or a little past the very top slot?
Would it be safe for him to be in the husky at 2years?
At the top slot, yes -- even with it, but not past it. If the straps haven't even had to be moved up to the top slot yet then he has room to grow in it yet, probably another year or so at the very least. The Husky is rated for kids starting at 22 pounds & 19 inches tall -- he will fit in it now & be able to use it for some years, maybe till he's ready to sit without a booster ... although there are boosters that fit bigger kids past 80 pounds [after he outgrows the Husky].
Your friend should probably not use the RA if her son's shoulders are past the top slot & may want to instead get the Husky as the primary seat, keeping the MA for the alternate car ... leaving you free to have the RA ;) I myself would want to compensate my friend by pitching in a bit for the Husky, though, just because it is such an expensive seat & the RA itself isn't really cheap ... also check this out > http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/sesa-chk.htm

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Trust me, he has years to go in that Marathon, and IMO, a MA is more comfy for a little guy than a Husky (even my 7 yo complains about the lack of sleep support in the Husky, though we do love love love our husky).
Here's a picture of a little boy when he first got his MA, and 12-18 months later as he's growing out of it, it will give some idea of how long a littler kid has in it...
http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/Marathon.html and http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/6_year_old_in_MA.html
Though you're right, resale value on those seats is great.. maybe sell the RA and put it towards a Husky?

B

bab34me

Marathon goes to 80lbs

the britax marathon goes to 80lbs. there is also the britax huskey that is for more larger children

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC