Which car seat for my son at 12 mos

B

Bill

Which car seat for my son at 12 mos

Hello, this is my first time here so I hope I'm not asking redundant questions. My wife and I have a 2001 Honda Accord which I believe has the LATCH system available, I read at BabyBargainsbook.com that the new Federal Standards will go into effect in September so that all car seats must have the LATCH system.

Here is my question, my son will turn 1 year next month (July) and we are considering a convertible or forward facing car seat. Should we wait until September (he is very tall and quickly outgrowing the rear facing infant carrier) for a LATCH seat or is there something comparable now that we should look into? Thank you for your help.

Bill

ADS
C

Caviller

All questions are welcome!

None are redundant when it involves carseats:)

First, I highly recommend a convertible carseat, used rear-facing as long as possible. Rear facing is the safest mode of travel. For more details, please read our article:

www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Second, LATCH is a convenient feature, but it isn't necessarily safer. If you don't mind the normal method of installing carseats with a seatbelt and can usually get a good fit, then you could save yourself $10-$20 and buy a carseat without LATCH even now. Plus, if you want your carseat in the middle position, your vehicle may not have LATCH lower anchors in that spot anyway. If you do want the convenience of LATCH, then it might be worth waiting as long as possible. Many new LATCH seats will hit the market in the next few months.

Though I try to remain impartial about brands and models, I'm currently a fan of the new Britax Marathon. I can't technically recommend it until I've acquired one or installed it at a checkup event, but I've played with one at a conference. It isn't yet on shelves. It's taller than the Roundabout with top slots that can also accomodate taller kids longer. It goes rear-facing to 30 pounds and best of all it is front facing to 65 pounds. Even though it costs more than other models, definitely consider it because it will last a long time and has some great features not found in other models. For more information, please see our guide to LATCH:

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

I hope that is a good start, please don't hesitate to ask again if you have more questions.

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

Here are the seats I would start with...

The infant seat is outgrown when the weight limit is reached ( usually at 20 lb) or when there is less than 1" of the seat's shell above the baby's head. Toddlers should remain rear facing as long as possible, so you should definitely be looking at a convertible seat rather than a front facing only seat. See the following pages for more info on why rear facing is critical.
s.ivillage.com/pp/boards/...76,00.html
www.thematlocks.com/jenni...ndedRF.htm
user.mc.net/~carseat/rearface.html

The following seats are a good place to start looking. I've listed them from highest to lowest price, which happens to also be the seat with the most features to the seat with the least. (Sometimes, less expensive seats have more features than a more expensive seat. That's not the case with these four.)

1) Britax Roundabout/Advantage. ( www.britaxusa.com/ ) These 2 seats have EPS foam (like you find in bike helmets) to help protect the head. They have built in locking clips, which make installation much easier in many vehicles. They have an *easy to use* tether which can be used both front and rear facing. They have straps which do not twist or wrinkle. They have a harness adjuster which is so easy to use that my 4 year old can buckle himself in and get his own harness *tighter* than the recommendation! (There are seats which take my full strength to tighten just barely tight enough. The recommendation is that you should only be able to fit one finger between the child and the straps at his collar bone.) The Advantage has "infinite" harness adjustablility (you turn a knob to move it up or down), while the Roundabout has regular "slots". Any harness slot may be used front facing (most convertible seats only have the top slots reinforced for front facing use.) They are very well padded. They are also very expensive—approximately $200 for the Roundabout and $250 for the Advantage.

2) Evenflo Triumph. ( www.evenflo.com/ep/on_go/...h.phtml?nf ) This seat has EPS foam. It also has a unique harness adjustment system that uses knobs and a "memory harness". I’ve heard that the system can take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it’s great! That avoids the problem many seats have with adjustability. The Comfort Touch version is well padded, but it also costs a little more.

3) Century Accel. ( www.centuryproducts.com/S...TypeID=158 ) It is available in a DX (slightly more padding and the cover covers more of the seat) and a SE version (a little less expensive). The straps on this seat are less twisty than many, though not nearly as nice as those on the Britax seats. The harness adjuster is also easier to use than some, but again, not nearly as easy Britax’s.

4) Cosco Touriva. ( www.djgusa.com/coscocat/c...uriva.html ) This seat is much more difficult to use and has a lot less padding than any of the seats listed above. It also has a very difficult to install and adjust tether. However, it is significantly less expensive, and if you are diligent about making sure the straps don’t get twisted and in ensuring that the harness is tight enough each and every trip, it is not an "unsafe" seat.

The seats I listed above all have a rear facing weight limit of at least 30 lb (remember, toddlers *must* stay rear facing until they weigh at *least* 20 lb and are a minimum of 1 year old, and longer is safer). They are compatible with a wide variety of vehicles, though you should always make sure a seat fits in *your* vehicle before making a final decision. They all have reasonable harness slot heights (lowish bottom slots and tallish top slots). They all have a 5 point harness, which generally provides better protection in a crash than an overhead shield does.

There are perfectly fine seats that did not make my list. Some have compatibility issues with many vehicles (but might fit your vehicle perfectly). Some have exceptionally low harness slots and might be outgrown much sooner than another similarly priced seat. Some are more difficult to use without being any less expensive. However, if you can say, "Yes," to each of the following questions, the seat may be the right one for *you*.

1-Does it fit your child?
2-Does it fit your vehicle?
3-Does it fit your budget?
4-Will you use it properly each and every time you go somewhere?

Finally, here is an article on chosing the "best" convertible seat. www.thematlocks.com/jenni...leShop.htm

B

Bill

Britax and more

Caviller, thank you so much for your response. In doing some research I found the Britax Marathon as well, but before we spend $200+ on a car seat we had a couple questions...

In looking on Britax's website they have a note on the 65lb forward rating of the seat saying that it has not been verified, do you know if they have actually verified this yet?

My wife was asking that since it appears new US laws may be passed requiring a safety seat for all children under 80 lbs would it be okay to look into a forward facing only seat such as the Britax Husky which is rated from 22 to 80 lbs?

Our son is about 20 lbs right now and is about to turn 1, but he is very tall for his age and his feat already scrunch up against the back seat of our car in the infant carrier we still have him in.

Do you have any other suggestions or comments? Thank you.

C

Caviller

Some answers for you-

First, the Marathon and Wizard are designed for 65 pound forward facing limits. At a recent conference, I was given the impression that manufacturing was already in progress. They were simply waiting for final government approval before shipping. I do not know if this has happened as of yet.

Second, there are currently few (if any) national laws on carseat use. Most such laws are done at the state level, and it varies a lot state-to-state. Though the wording can vary, usually a belt-positioning booster OR an appropriately rated front-facing carseat would be acceptable for older kids. Some links to resources with state laws can be found in Question #3 of the FAQ, linked under the banner at the top of the page. A front-facing carseat with a 5-point harness is likely to provide better protection than a booster, especially for kids who tend to squirm out of position. Even so, boosters are very effective when used properly. You may find that larger seats like the Husky won't fit a small baby real well, and they certainly don't offer the protection a rear-facing carseat would provide.

As you probably know, it's safest to keep your child rear-facing as long as possible. This is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics as well. It is not considered a safety issue if a baby's legs are bent, or can touch the rear seat. A seat like the Marathon is nice for taller kids since it has a higer back than other convertible seats and should last to 30 pounds even for tall toddlers while rear-facing.

Darren

L

LyndaSLP

Re: Which car seat for my son at 12 mos

Bill -

We own 2 Evenflo Triumphs. One for each car. Selling point? The harness adjustment system! We bought them before our son was a yr -- so he had to be rear facing (and he still is at 15 months). What I hated about other convertible car seats was that they were so difficult to adjust. Difficult, that is, while rear facing. The Triumph is a DREAM to adjust.

Just a viewpoint from a parent....

Lynda

U

UlrikeDG

Adjustability is a major selling point to me!

In fact, I've thought that if I could add *one* thing to the federal regulations, it would be ensuring that carseats can easily be adjusted (either via knob or "one pull" system or "memory" harness). If you haven't tried it out, I suggest you look at the Britax Roundabout. It's the only seat I've ever tried that truly has a "one pull" adjustment. My 4 year old can actually tighten his harness all by himself while sitting in the seat! It's that easy!!! I've sold friends on the seat by saying, "Pull this." :lol: I know you're not looking for a new seat, but if you're as interested in carseats as I am, I thought you might have fun playing with this one. ;)

(This is actually true of all the Britax seats I've tried: Roundabout, Freeway & King.)

B

Bill

Britax Marathon, how long the wait

Well I've read a lot from this site and from others on child safety, I've learned so much in just a few weeks and I'm shocked to learn that it seems the US is way behind when it comes to car seat safety.

With ease of use and safety as our number one priority I think we are going to await the Britax Marathon as it appears it will last the longest and affords us the ability to keep our precious baby rear facing as long as possible. With it's higher back it has added advantages for our son who is so tall.

The big question now is, when will the Marathon make into the consumer's hands? Also, we have several Britax dealers in our area (Denver/Boulder Colorado) and I'm they will get some soon so we can go down and try one out with our son to ensure it works for our needs.

Thank you so much for your help!

B

Bill

Marathon or Wizard?

I'm curious, after looking at both these models I cannot tell the difference between the two, can anyone enlighten me?

C

Caviller

Re: Britax Marathon, how long the wait

My understanding is that it could be shipping within days, or months. If they are indeed waiting on the government, it's hard to say.

In some cases, previously announced models suffer significant delays and some are never released, like the much anticipated new Simpson Racing Seat.

I would also like to acquire a Marathon and/or Wizard. Unfortunately, there are a number of new LATCH compatible models I would like to acquire so I can better help visitors and parents and one Britax model at list price usually means 2-3 fewer other models I could evaluate or review. I will post here if I do purchase one shortly after release, or if I hear they have begun to ship. While I like this model a lot on paper, I can't really recommend it until I've used one personally.

Darren

C

Caviller

Re: Marathon or Wizard?

The Wizard is to the Marathon as the Advantage is to the Roundabout. The Wizard and Advantage have a knob to adjust the harness height, and it can be used while the seat is installed. The Roundabout and Marathon must be removed from the vehicle to adjust the harness height by threading the straps through separate sets of slots, as is the method with most carseats.

It is a nice convenience feature, but it also adds to the cost. I did notice that the Marathon appeared first on the Britax website, and the Marathon was present at a recent Britax conference exhibit. I don't know if that means the Marathon will ship first or not.

Darren

B

Bill

Wizard Advantages?

Well it certainly sounds like the easy adjustments are worth the extra $$; however, I am wondering if there is less adjustment range with the Wizard/Advantage and are there any safety issues with the adjustable style verses the slot style? Thanks for all your help.

C

Caviller

Re: Wizard Advantages?

Haven't seen a Wizard in person, so I don't know if it adjusts as high or low as the Marathon. Safety should not be an issue, hopefully.

As soon as I have more experience with one, I intend to post a review.

Darren

S

S Gietschier

Sitting in the Front

A woman I know has begun to put her 4-year old in the front seat, securing him in a booster seat with the lap and shoulder belt combination. Her car is not equipped with a passenger side air bag.

I contend that her son should be placed in the rear seat until he is twelve.

She contends that the front seat is fine for a child his age because there is no air bag to harm him.

Who is right?

Thank you.

F

freebie

Britax Marathon News

Anyone hear anything new about the release of the new Marathon? We have an 8 month old who is quickly outgrowing his current seat, and we are holding out (if possible) for the new Britax seat.....

Any news would be helpful.

Thanks!

C

Caviller

The latest I heard from a tech with a contact at Britax...

...was that they are still working on meeting all the current certification requirements. September-October is probably a very rough guess, unless there are new delays.

As with any pre-announced model, there can always be serious delays. Some highly anticipated products that were announced (Simpson Racing seat, Britax LATCH retrofit kit) never did appear on the market.

Darren

B

Bill

Very sad indeed - alternatives to Marathon?

Well this is very sad news indeed, we were hoping they would be available here in August. Our son's head is almost at the tip of our current rear facing seat so we must buy a new seat as this a safety hazard according to your information suggesting a 2" distance from his head to the top.

The Marathon would be perfect, but we certainly can't wait until Sept/Oct at the rate he's growing.

So, what alternatives would you suggest

C

Caviller

Re: Which car seat for my son at 12 mos

Actually, 2" is extremely conservative. Most advocates recommend 1" from the top of the baby's head to the top of the shell while rear facing. The American Academy of Pediatrics simply says when the head is at the level of the top of the shell...

I definitely recommend a convertible carseat, since your child will be safest rear-facing for some time, up to 30 or 35 pounds in most current models. A list of LATCH compatible convertible models, and models which can be used with retrofit kits can be found here:

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Another option is to buy an inexpensive model to work until you can get a Marathon. You'd then have a spare for a relative or caregiver, or one for a second vehicle. The Cosco Touriva and Century Accel are popular choices which are not very expensive. They will lack many of the features of more expensive models, but will still be very safe when used properly. There's always a chance Britax will release their new models sooner than expected. Your best bet is to contact all the local stores that carry Britax, and see if they have any new information or even a waiting list.

Good luck!

Darren

B

Bill

Other car seat alternatives

What about the Evenflo Triumph? Is that a good one? I'll look into those others you mentioned.

We do have two cars so it would be good to have another.

To jump totally off the subject, what about car seats which can be attached to strollers? Are there any good models which can be attached to strollers?

Thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC