weight or length?

Y

yoogie30

Hi,

does anybody out there know if we should go by weight (17.5 lbs) or lenght (26 inches, which is the limit for our "small" portable car seat). And what about forward and rear-facing? Our 'bigger' carseat says rear-facing till 26 inches, which is how tall he is now. And only 4 months old! It says forward facing for 26 inches and taller.

Thanks.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Both ~ my little girl was 26.5" at her 6 month check up but only 13.5 lbs so she's been in a BIG girl car seat since then. (I think most babies are too long for their seats b4 their too heavy)Sounds like you need to find a different convertible car seat ~ they need to be rearfacing till 1 year or 20 lbs ~ but until 1 year even if they reach 20 lbs b4 then, but the longer they're RF'ing the better, my DD will stay RF'ing until she's 18 months maybe even 30 months. This is a great place to get info.

Shannon
Mommy of 2

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It is both like the pp mentioned, but the height limit is a bit more variable since children carry their height differently--some are taller in their torsos while some are all legs. The weight limit is absolute--you must follow that. But, for the height, you are still OK using the seat as long as there is at least 1" of car seat above the baby's head.

What convertible (the one you are calling "bigger") car seat are you using?

AgwasStars2

My son outgrew his infant seat at about four and a half months, according to the height limit. He isn't quite 20 lbs yet, but we have him alreday in his convertible carseat. His head still is alright in his SnugRide, but we wanted him to be the safest possible, and if the manufacturer recommends replacing them at 26 inches, thats what we were going to do. I think Heather has a valid question though, what convertible seat do you have? Because no convertible seat should say to turn them ff when they are 26 in long...

U

Unregistered

He should be in a larger carsea STILL rear facing...
He should be facing the rear until he is at least 20 lbs AND 1 year old!

AgwasStars2

Were you talking to me? Just asking, because I know that he is supposed to be rear facing until he is a year old (the 20 pounds thing won't matter in my case, because he is well on his way to being 20 pounds, and he isn't even NEAR a year old...), and he is still rear facing. Just thought I would clear that up, so no one had any questions...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Do you have an older 3-point shield convertable? I seem to remember the same thing on ours when my daughter grew too long for her infant carrier as well, at about only 3.5 months old. I was also very confused & since the seat did not even fit securely rear-facing we ended up facing her forward :( She was way too little & I still get knotts in my tummy remembering the risk she was in.... That seat has since expired, though & I've since saved for a Britax & at 2.5 years old she is rear-facing still/again. If you didn't just buy your seat you may want to check the manufacturer's date on the back/bottom -- after 5 years or so the seat shouldn't be used anymore.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC