Britax--Which one?

U

Unregistered

I wrote a few days ago about my 10 month, 29 in, 17.5 lb daughter. We put her in the convertible seat that my 5 yr old used (it hasn't expired yet) and it is a Century ??? with an overhead shield and 3 point harness. She is rear-facing. The seat doesn't move at all and it reclined as it should be. We plan to buy a Britax when my hubby gets paid :) and are wondering which is best. I am leary of the 3 pt. harnesses and overhead shields but if I am correct they are more of a problem FRONT facing than rear. I am contemplating the Marathon and Wizard. The Roundabout doesn't seem like such a good idea because it is almost as expensive but has a lower weight limit. What do you suggest for us. Also, my hubby suggested that we check ebay (there are some that are new in box). What are your feelings on that?
Thanks so much! Amanda and Olivia

ADS

groovymom2000

Be very wary of Ebay...

I do know that there are some large sellers on Ebay that sell surplus products that might be NIB, but have suffered serious damage....be sure to check a sellers feedbacks COMPLETELY before you bid. You might be better off buying at a brick and mortar store that has a good return policy!
For the $$ I would most likely go with the Marathon---I have it and the RA and love them both, but you will get more use out of the Marathon than the Roundabout.
Just my .02! :)
Beth~mom to Elliot (12/00) and Ian (5/04)

marytara

how do you really know NIB??

I really don't know that I would buy a carseat on ebay. Even if they say NIB.. how do you really know? call me paranoid, i guess but when it comes to my child's safety I want that carseat absolutely new. Same thing goes with buying from the baby store. My last purchase they didn't have any of the seat that I wanted other than the floor model and offered to sell me the floor model at a lower price. I said no thanks and went to a different store. (this is a great baby store where they let you install the seats in your cars and try them out, so the floor models I know take a bit of use/abuse).

mamamia

I bought a NIB FPSE a few years ago. It was the only seat that fit well in my car at the time, and had been discontinued, so I couldn't get it in a store. The box was still factory sealed, and the contents were also factory sealed, so I don't see how it wasn't NIB.

I wouldn't buy a Britax seat on Ebay though because I prefer the ability to return the seat to the store if there is a problem. We have two Wizards. They had the same DOM, and I got them at BRU. After a few weeks, the harness adjuster on one broke, and BRU exchanged it no questions asked. My girls have been in Wizards for about a year, and both (now 4 years (FF) and 26 months (rf)) love them. THe head rests are really nice for sleeping, as long as your child doesn't hate them :)

AgwasStars2

We just bought the Marathon for our son (now 5 1/2 mo), and he loves it. He falls asleep in it EVERY time we go somewhere, and he seems VERY comfortable. We thought about getting the Wizard, but personally, we didn't like the headrests. To me, they felt a bit hard and uncomfortable, and the saleslady at BRU pointed out that once we turn him forward facing, and he can look around and out the windows, it would be more difficult BECAUSE of the headrest. It might be in the way, and it's not removable, so then you have a problem. I'm glad to see that you are debating between the two Britax models though, at least you know you're going to end up with one of the best!!

U

Unregistered

I looked into the Wizard but after reading bad reviews about the headrest we chose the Marathons (we also have a pair of RAs). The reviews said kids were leaning forward to see around the headrest, thus rendering it useless in a crash. Also complaints that it was too big/bulky and uncomfortable concerned me. I've been very pleased with my Marathons.

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys! All of your input really helped me to decide. I am so new to the whole EBAY thing that I wasn't sure if it was just stores selling leftovers or what. Only the best will do for my babies. It would also be unfortunate to buy it for $200 and have it break and not be able to return it. Whew! You all are so helpful!
Amanda

U

Unregistered

Britax Wizards

I have 2 wizards for my big kids & they are the way to go...teh newer wizards have smaller head shields & my kids 4 & nearly 2 aren't bothered by them at all...and they are VERY picky
They have side impact protection...the others don't...it was an easy choice for me...
When my baby grows out of her Britax Companion she will be getting a new Wizard.
I wouldn't purchase a carseat from Ebay...I would contact Britax & see who their authorized sellers are...that is what I did...that way the seats are covered under Britax's warranty & are how they are supposed to be.

U

Unregistered

Britax Wizard headrests

My kids don't look around the headrests because they are tightened down as they are supposed to be & can't get their heads out that far...they generally talk to eachother (with their heads leaning against the back of the chair) or watching a DVD...

U

Unregistered

groovymom2000 said:
I do know that there are some large sellers on Ebay that sell surplus products that might be NIB, but have suffered serious damage....be sure to check a sellers feedbacks COMPLETELY before you bid. You might be better off buying at a brick and mortar store that has a good return policy!
For the $$ I would most likely go with the Marathon---I have it and the RA and love them both, but you will get more use out of the Marathon than the Roundabout.
Just my .02! :)
Beth~mom to Elliot (12/00) and Ian (5/04)

sellers on ebay more than often are getting it cheaper elsewhere
Improve your golf score in 2 weeks
Stop smoking within a week
Amazing paypal loophole a must for buyers and sellers
Get £5 for absolutely free
Get £4 for joining ebay and bidding absolutely free

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC