best infant seat recommendation?

marytara

With a new baby on the way I'm into the carseat research mode.

My son, now 3.5 had a Graco Snugride which he used for all of 2 months before outgrowing it (he was born in the winter so didn't go his first month) and was nearly 24inches long at birth!!! Anyways, so then he went into his Britax Roundabout.

We'll probably get a Britax convertible seat for rear facing use but are also looking at infant carrier type seats for convenience purposes. Any recomendations on these?

Thanks!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
There's some good info on shopping for infant seats on CPSafety.com. Do you need an infant seat? Not necessarily. Some people find they're an unnecessary expense and use a convertible seat from birth, while others enjoy the convenience they offer.

Pros:
  • Infant carriers tend to fit newborns better than convertible seats.
  • If your baby doesn't sleep well, it can be nice to carry him into the house seat and all, rather than to risk disturbing a baby who has fallen asleep in the car.
  • An infant carrier can also help protect a baby from inclement weather.
  • They can be convenient if you frequently travel with your baby in more than one vehicle. You can purchase an extra base to install in your other car, or you can just install the seat without the base.
Cons:
  • They're bulky and heavier than carrying a baby alone. Carrying the seat on ice, steep hills/stairs, etc. can be awkward to say the least.
  • They separate you from your baby. A huge range of studies have shown that touch and eye contact are critical for brain development. Additionally, too much time spent in car seats, cribs, strollers, swings, etc. can cause or exacerbate positional plagiocephaly (flattening of the infant's skull).
  • The strollers that come with travel systems are not always the best stroller for your situation. They tend to be lower quality than many other strollers on the market.
  • If your baby grows quickly, the seat may be outgrown within a few months. This means it may not be a good value for your money.
You'll have to look at your individual situation to determine if a carrier is something you want for your baby. If you decide you do want an infant seat, here are some good ones to look at:
  • The Britax Companion has EPS foam, an anti-rebound bar, and side impact protection (SIP). At $175-$200, it's pricey, but if side impact protection is important to you, this is a seat to look at. (Rear facing seats tend to provide very good side impact protection. Also, a seat installed in the center of the back seat is far from any potential impact points. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about added SIP for a rear facing seat installed in the center rear seat. For a front facing seat or booster installed in an outboard position, I might be more concerned.)
  • The Combi Tyro also has EPS foam and is very well padded. Its $120-$145 price tag is a bit less intimidating than the Companion. This seat would be at the top of my list to try out if I needed an infant seat.
  • The Baby Trend Latch-Loc (aka Pegasus) and Baby Trend Tahoe have EPS foam and rigid LATCH connectors which are extremely easy to use. The Tahoe is available only as part of the Tahoe Travel System . At $80, the Latch-Loc is affordable.
  • The Graco SnugRide is an option as well. It does not have EPS foam, but it has the widest range of covers. A few models have memory foam for comfort, which may also help in a crash. Models with a 5-point harness and front harness adjuster usually run $90-$140. Models with a rear adjuster are even less expensive, though a bit harder to use.
There are perfectly fine seats that did not make my list. Some have compatibility issues with many vehicles (but might fit your vehicle perfectly). Some are more difficult to use without being any less expensive. However, if you can say, "Yes," to each of the following questions, the seat may be the right one for you.
  1. Does it fit your child?
  2. Does it fit your vehicle?
  3. Does it fit your budget?
  4. Will you use it properly each and every time you go somewhere?

I do know that other parents who have checked out the above seats have said that the Tyro provides a LOT of growing room. The bottom slots are low, the top slots are high, and the seatback is tall as well. If you search the archives for "Tyro" you should find a post or two with pictures.

marytara

Thanks Ulrike,

Your post is exactly what I needed. I've been kind of debating the Infant seat vs convertible seat issue in my head. Its clear to me with my son (now 3.5) that for him we did not need the infant seat. He was born in December and was so close to the weight limit that he outgrew it w/in 2 months. So then he went right into the roundabout we'd purchased before his birth anyhow. He never used the infant seat in the stroller and the seat was very heavy for me to carry. Maybe it would be better to just put a convertible - like Roundabout, Marathon or Wizard into the car and then put the baby into a sling when i go places. With the baby and by then, a 4 yr old that may free my arms up.

I know that for Alex the snugride was a foolish purchase, have to think on this one but I'm beginning to think we'll just skip it!

you rock :)
~MT

groovymom2000

Just another new mom's input here...

My son is now 2 months(and I have a 3.5 yr. old, so similar situation). I really dislike using the infant seat with him, and really do end up using the sling most of the time. If you still have the snugride from your first son, and it meets all of the requirements to use it(age, condition, etc.) why not use it for the first two weeks or so and then switch to the RA or Marathon? It's a thought, and then you wouldn't have to buy another infant seat. Unless you mentioned why you were looking for a new one anyway, in which case, please disregard the sleep-deprived ramblings here! :D Good luck!
Beth~ mom to Elliot (12/05/00) and Ian (05/13/04)

marytara

Thinking my 3 year old would be a one and only I sold most of his baby gear at a garage sale, ebay, or donated it to a local pregnancy center. The snugride was one of the first things I got rid of because it was heavy, took up space and was barely used. Surprise for me because now baby #2 is on its way LOL.

marytara

oh no way! Not nosy at all!!!!

I'm glad to hear from someone else with a similar kidwise situation and their recommendation!

My son loved his baby sling, so hopefully this baby will like one too since the more and more I'm leaning toward skipping the infant seat all together. Chances are this kid will be large (like my 3 yr old was) making the infant seat really not practical. Plus, once again - born in winter months where I don't know how much going out and about I'll do during that inital month or so.

mamamia

You could always use the Roundabout you have for the baby, and get the older child either a dedicated booster or a Marathon or Wizard depending on how you would prefer to secure that child. The latter two are Britax convertible seats like the RA, but have a 65 lb/49 in FF weight/height limit, which would allow you to keep your older child harnessed longer if you want. I can't imagine putting a newborn in the Marathon or Wizard-my now 5 day old at 8.5 lbs looks tiny in her snugride!

We used the infant seat for DD1 for about 5 months, and 7 months for DD2. My kids spit up a lot, so the sling or a baby bjorn just didn't work for us (although I wish it did, because I don't really care for lugging that heavy carrier all over the place :)

marytara

seats we have -

Roundabout which was purchased for my parents car, currently not in use. (2001 issue)

Expressway - outgrown by 3 year old, currently not in use ( 2002 issue)

Turbobooster - 3 year old can't handle being boostered at this point so its currently not in use. (2004 issue)

3.5 year old is in a Britax Husky right now primary vehicle and Airway in the secondary vehicle.

I was thinking new kid, new seat - but we may well be able to use the Roundabout since my parents will no longer be local to us (boo hoo) and won't need the seat.

MelllieMa

Mamamia!

I've been thinking and thinking about you! CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby girl!!!
How are you faring in these early babymooning days? :)

mamamia

I can't complain. I feel reasonably well for having had a baby a week ago, and DH is home to help with the older two this week. I think that having daddy home is helping the younger one adjust more easily. I haven't ventured out alone with the 3 girls yet, but I am sure once I do, it will be quite an adventure!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC