Radian for bigger kids?

Hazelnut

Okay, I was all set to pick up a scenera so my big 19 month-old (35 inches tall almost, 30 lbs.) but the box at the store said that the height limit is only 36 inches. (I didn't see that on the walmart website or elsewhere) Even at that price I don't want to get one that he'll outgrow so quickly. Anyway. So now I'm about to order a radian, but the only store that has it is ages away and has a zero return policy. So....

1)Anyone have experience ordering from Target.com? Does it really take up to 6 weeks???!

2)Some of the Target reviews said it was a really poor fit with older/bigger kids. Since this is so pricey for us and likely the only way we'll fit three carseats in our Subaru when #3 arrives, I'm a little worried about this and its longevity. Anyone else find this to be true, or does it work fine fo ryou?

Thanks. :eek:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think one of it's strengths is that it's a *good* fit for bigger kids. Not up to 65 pounds, no, but up to age 6 or so is comfortable for most kids, and you can't beat the narrowness (though I think it won't install in the center of a Subaru, so you'd have to go outboard with it).
The Scenera has a rearfacing guideline of 36 inches, but the seat isn't outgrown rearfacing till 35 pounds or till the top of the head is even with the top of the seat, and forward facing it's good till the shoulders are just above the top slots or 40 pounds or till the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seat. No, it still won't last anywhere near as long as the Radian, though it might last your guy longer rearfacing than the radian, owing to the higher rf weight limit.

arly1983

I also had heard the things u have heard. I read a reveiw saying that some of the radian had short harnesses or short crouch straps and that you could call sunshine kids and they would replace your seat. Some of the posters on this forum have done that. Target.com is out of stock right now. Elitecarseats.com is backordered. Tinyride.com has it in stock for 199.99 with free shipping/no tax. Amazon.com has it 179.99 w/ free ship but it will take 6 weeks. I have heard tinyride has pretty good costumer service and so does sunshine kids. I ordered mine from amazon because I didn't need it for a couple of months.
About the scernera, I had wanted to keep DS RF a couple of months ago (before he lost down to 31.25) and I had looked at the scenera. I almost bought it but before I did I put him in the display seat and his shoulder were above the top slots then so I didn't think I would get enough use out of it. So maybe u should go try it in the store. I think all WM carry it.
I wish I could tell you more about the radian but it probably will not get to me before April 1.

HappyMomOfSix

If this helps, I ordered my Radian from babycatalog.com on 2/13, and it arrived today.

If size is an issue, to give you something to consider, I have two 50in kids (one 7, and one 9). One it fits fine; the other has a longer torso, and it's too small for her.

deedeesmom

I ordered a Radian from Amazon.com on Friday and it arrived today. I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7YM0Q/102-6304382-4728960. There's only one left. When I bought it, I got free shipping, but now for some reason they're charging $10, not sure if shipping would be different depending on where you are. If you search on Amazon for Radian, a few come up. At least one other says it's in stock now. If you return it, though, you'll have to pay for shipping (and they'll deduct the the shipping to you if you've managed to get free super saver shipping). No restock fee as far as I could tell.

My almost-4-year-old (average size) and 5.5-year-old (petite) fit in it with plenty of room to spare, both height-wise and width-wise. Neither seems to be cramped in the crotch area either. I think your ds would get plenty of use out of it.

ETA: The link I gave you is sold out now. This one appears to be in stock: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EE5I86/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2/102-6304382-4728960.

Last edited:

kimk2230

Hi I ordered a Radian from Target.com I ordered mine on November 27th and it said it would take 4-6 weeks. It actaully shipped on December 7th. I think I might just have been lucky. I love the seat. My dd is 4.5. She weighs just about 40 pounds and is 41.5 inches tall. I measured her torso and got 14.5. She is tall but has a short torso. She fits in the radian great and she really likes it. I have her on the top slot and she has plenty of room. She was just at the top of the second slot and when Papooses(Tiffany) checked the car seat for me we decided to move it up. I didn't know if it was going to fit in my van so I ordered from Target so I could return it to the store.

twokidstwodogs

The Radian would be a good choice, I think. My older daughter was about that height at that age, and would have gotten a lot of use out of a Radian.

I think you are right that you will need it for that three-across situation. What kind of Subaru do you have, and what year is it? (I've owned a 99 Forester, and now drive an 06 Legacy wagon.) What seats are you going to try to fit across?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC