Carseat for a 2.5 yr old?

mommy2jana

I need some opinions for a friend of mine. Her dd is 2.5 yrs old. Not sure of her exact weight/height/torso height - but I know she is less than 30 lbs (probably around 28 lbs) and her torso is less than 14 inches. I give her all of my dd's hand-me-down clothes and she is the exact size my dd was this time last year.

Currently she is in some kind of an Evenflo convertible seat. It is really deep and has minimal padding - sort of like the Cosco Scenera.

My friend is looking to get her a new carseat - don't know what her price range is, but she is using her income tax money for it, so it will probably be at least $2,000. I don't think she really wants to spend the money on Britax or the like.

Her car doesn't have headrests. So the Apex is out. She was hoping to get something that could be used for a while. I talked her out of an Eddie Bauer harnessed booster. She was really impressed by Jana's Marathon, but she was scared off by the price.

I can't convince her to turn her dd back rf'ing, so the seat doesn't have to be a convertible. The Apex was the first that came to my mind, but then I saw her car had no headrests. She drives a mid to late-90's model 4 dr Honda Civic.

Any suggestions?

ADS

skaterbabs

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Delux is a Marathon knockoff with fewer features, but is still a great seat and is less than $200.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
If she likes the Marathon (other than the price), what about the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? I think they're around $150 at the moment. The Graco Cargo (one with a front adjuster) or Evenflo Chase might be good options too.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
There is the Radian and the FPSVD. I've heard good prices lately for the FPSVD way less then $200.

Also lately the MA's have been going for $209, if that helps her a little with the price

mommy2jana

I completely forgot about the FPSVD! That was what I was going to get for dd's other seat before I found the Regent. I wish I could afford another Regent right now and just give her my MA! I love this little girl that much! Her mom is my best friend's little sister. I was there when she was born.

I'll email her about the FPSVD and the Radian. Also - which would you prefer if you had to choose between the Graco Cargo and the Evenflo Chase? I think I've heard that one makes a better harnessed seat and one makes a better booster. Obviously I'd rather her get the FPSVD or Radian so Kimmy could be harnessed longer. I know I've got her sold on extended harnessing.

They live in GA (8 hrs away) so I can't be there to help her pick out the seat, but I told her I'd give her suggestions. We were up there this weekend and she saw my (I mean, Jana's :p) Marathon. I just hope that whatever she uses she will use correctly! She posted a pic of her dd in her carseat on myspace and her straps were so lose! I left her a comment saying she needed to tighten them. She thanked me and also told me she would keep Kimmy harnessed as long as she could.

scatterbunny

Being so small at that age, chances are she won't benefit from the FPSVD or MA's higher weight limit before getting too tall, so the Graco CarGo would be my top pick. It makes a better harnessed seat than the Evenflo combo seats because it has EPS foam and deep sidewings like a Marathon, but it doesn't make a good long-term booster like the Evenflo Bolero and Generations do.

mommy2jana

Thanks Jenny! I couldn't remember which seat was a better harnessed seat and which one made a better booster!

I did tell her that when it is time for a booster that a good dedicated high back booster is the way to go.

I have her looking at the Evenflo Generations/Bolero and the Graco CarGo. I haven't heard back which she likes best. She wanted a FPSVD, but she only likes the Circus Dot print...she couldn't find it online anywhere in her price range. The other two prints I found as low as $139.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC