Toyota Tacoma King Cab & car seats

D

DMandDMH

Toyota Tacoma King Cab & car seats

I have a 1999 Tacoma. The back seats are big enough for older people but car seats don't fit on them properly. The depth of the seats are shorter than the car seats. I Hve problems with the car seats "sliding" down because the car seats are angled instead of 90 degreed in the "butt". The other problem that I have is that they "sit" up to high. My boys' feet get "quished" by the front seats because the car seats sit up so high. I have one boy that is 3 1/2, 35 lbs & is in a booster seat. My other boy is 2 1/2, 27 lbs & is in a regular car seat. I have a 10 yr old daughter that gets "quished" between the 2 car seats. My question is, Is there any car seats out on the market that are made for trucks that have "less" depth seats. It would be ideal if I could just take some wood, pad it, put harness belts for them & bolt it all down. But that is not possible or legal. Looking for something that is slimline. I have gone through all the postings & didn't see anything on this problem. I can't believe that 'no one else has this problem'. I can't afford a minivan (definitely need one) & can't afford to pay 100's of dollars for a car seat. Any solutions other than just dealing with the problem?
Thanks, Michelle

ADS
C

Caviller

This problem isn't so uncommon-

As you've found, trucks are not real friendly to kids but they are still becoming more popular for families.

As for narrow seats, the best way is also the hardest way. You really need to go to a store and try them first hand. Some stores will let you try a floor model before you buy it. You can get some ideas on which seats are more narrow here:

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

As for fit, you have some issues that aren't easy to solve except in person. I would highly recommend a visit for a free carseat inspection with a local certified technician. Please visit the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner to find one in your area.

One question I do have is about your daughter. It sounds like she is in the center of the rear seat. Does that spot have a shoulder belt? If not, another arrangement of your carseats may be safer for her.

If it is the case that the center has only a lap belt, one solution does come to mind. First, you would put your daughter on the outside so she has a lap and shoulder belt for safety. You would then put your oldest son in the center, and purchase a Britax Laptop for him. This restraint does not raise the child up or forward, and may also solve your other issues about height and depth. These can still be found at Right Start stores for about $60, and can be safely used in a position with only a lap belt.

Unfortunately, I think your case is best handled in person by an experienced technician who can help you with the safest arrangement and fit of all your children.

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC