Canadian Car Seat Choice - Latch?

J

jed99

Canadian Car Seat Choice - Latch?

Hi - I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue, and a 7mo pregnant wife, and we need a rear facing seat. After much research, I am confused and am hoping for some guidance. Is there a combo (rear and then front) car seat that can also be used as a carrier in Canada? Otherwise, I will buy 2 seats and then what are some of the safest choices?

ADS
J

jed99

LATCH

Oh yeah, and am I correct in that the LATCH cannot be retrofitted to my car?

C

Caviller

I am not very familiar with the Canadian market, but...

In general, convertible models that go both rear and front facing are not available as a carrier.

Even so, many parents do opt not to use a carrier and just buy a convertible from the start. Many convertible models can accomodate infants as small as 5 pounds, though some fit better than others.

Unless you have a 1999 or newer Audi or VW, vehicles that did not have lower anchors from the factory cannot be retrofitted for them. On the other hand, top tethers can be retrofitted for most vehicles since 1989, though these have been standard in Canada for many years.

Here are some other resources you should try for help on carseat selection in Canada:

clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/can...aintsafety

members.shaw.ca/canadiancarseatinfo/

Good luck!

Darren

J

jed99

Choices, choices, choices

Thanks for the links. What are the feelings here about rear facing, removable, carrier-type seats? Are there any that are OK?

C

Caviller

Any type of rear-facing seat is inherently very safe...

Some parents do like the convenience and fit of the infant carrier and base systems. Others prefer to use a convertible seat, rear-facing for their infants. It is really personal preference. Used properly, both types are very safe.

You might also visit our "Carseat Basics" link under the top banner. There is some more information there, along with some links to other resources with specific recommendations.

Good luck!

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC