Looking for Subaru Forrester-friendly seat/latch system

A

aluminum

Looking for Subaru Forrester-friendly seat/latch system

We have a 2001 Subaru Forrester. We've been trying to find a car seat for our one year old (front facing) that will work in the center seat.

We've found that the seatbelts in the subaru just don't work very well. Every seat we've tried till still move back and forth near the front at least 8" or more. Part of this is the seat belt, and I believe part of this is the slightly rounded back and seat bottom preventing a snug fit with the seat.

So, we've decided to have the dealer install LATCH hooks for us.

The questions I have are:

1) Has anyone found a good seat that works with the center seatbelt in a Forrester?

2) Has anyone gotten center-LATCH hooks installed and does it work for your vehicle?

The dealer said that new Forresters have the LATCH system on each rear passenger side, but not the center. Since the center is the safest place, I'd like to install them there, but if there isn't a compatible car seat, I will have them installed on the sides.

Sadly, the dealership has been of no help what so ever in this manner.

Thanks!

ADS
C

Caviller

Have you tried this-

In our 2001 Outback, we have switchable seatbelt retractors. Here is how I install our carseats, which are rock solid:

1) I put our carseat in position, buckle the seatbelt, then kneel into the seat with all my weight.

2) Then I pull on the shoulder belt to get all the slack out of the lap belt portion.

3) While holding the belt to keep the carseat tight in one hand, I pull the shoulder belt all the way out from the vehicle too. That will engage the locking mechanism.

4) Then I feed the all the slack back in, it will click as it retracts.

5) Rock on the carseat a bit and pull every last bit of slack from the lap belt and feed it into the vehicle. Now it should be locked in very tight and you will no longer be able to pull the seatbelt out until you release it completely.

I suspect our Outback has similar seats and seatbelts as your Forester, so I suspect you should also be able to get a very tight installation.

Please let me know if that helps!

Darren

A

aluminum

Nevermind...Subaru is stupid

Well, after a few days of totally confused Subaru staff, it turns out that they are incorrect...you can NOT retrofit an older Subaru with the LATCH system in the seats.

So, I guess we're back finding a seat that works...which has so far been difficult.

This total lack of safety seat knowlege by Subaru has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm guessing this is indicative of most dealers. Sad.

E

EVANSMOM

HAVE AN IDEA

TRY THE BRITAX, THE BASE IS SMALLER PLUS WITH THE VERSA-TETHER YOU CAN LOCK DOWN THE SEAT ONTO ANY EXISTING PART OF THE CAR THAT IS BOLTED TO THE FRAME. I LOVE MINE IT DOESN'T BUDGE.

M

mdsvc89

Forrester

I have a 1999 forrester, and have successfully installed the Cosco Alpha Omega in the center seat. It's definitely a 2 person operation. We shorten the seatbelt, put the seat in, DH (200+ lbs) kneels in the seat, and I struggle to buckle it.

We also had the dealer install a tether anchor for us (installs in the ceiling, near the hatchback door) and use the tether strap for the seat. It doesn't BUDGE.

-Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC