Tether anchors for Subaru?

U

Unregistered

Hi, I recently got an 88 Subaru GL-10 station wagon. It only has lap belts in the rear seat and the only reference in the manual to a tether strap says to use the rear seatbelt as an anchor for the top tether when the Child restraint is in the front seat. This seems strange to me since children are safer in the back seat. Can I get a latch anchor kit for this car? I already tried calling the Subaru dealership and I was told that Subaru and Toyota do not provide anchor kits. Help please!

ADS
U

Unregistered

'96 Subaru w/ tether hook installed '01

I have a '96 Subaru Legacy wagon that didn't come w/ a factory-installed tether hook, although it did have a place where one could go. I had it installed at the Subaru dealer, about $45.

I don't know if cars can be retrofitted for LATCH.

T

Trish

I have a '91 Subaru Loyale Wagon...mine does mention anchor points, they are in the ceiling near the back hatch. 3 plugs that pull off to expose three mounted/reinforced nut. I had an anchor/washer, and my neighbor (a tech) had the right size bolt. Took us less than 10 minutes.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Both Subaru and Toyota do provide tether anchor kits (not to be confused with LATCH anchor kits). The key is to determine if there is a part available for your model & year of vehicle. The Safe Ride News 2003 Tether Manual does not have a listing for the Subaru GL-10. It does have a listing for the Leone/Loyale Wagon dating back to 1985, however. That vehicle has three 8 mm weld nuts in the rear top ceiling trim. The part number is:
96031GA060BE (blue)
or
96031GA060LR (gray)

According to the manual:
  • Wagon tether anchor points are 8 mm weld nuts in the ceiling. The range of cost of tether anchor kits, including installation, is $23-$35
  • Order the part color that is the same color as the seat belt webbing

Subaru's website is Subaru.com, and their toll-free number is 800-782-2783.

T

Tabbymom

Is this the same part number for the 1998 subaru legacy outback? I do have the predrilled holes, but need to order the tether kit. My seatbelt webbing is grey. Please help. Thanks.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Tabbymom, your 1998 Legacy Outback is the wagon version, right? The top tether anchor part numbers for your car are different from what was posted above, and they also differ depending on your car's body style. I will post top tether anchor retrofit part numbers for both the 1998 Legacy wagon and also for the 1998 Legacy sedan just in case. There are also two different Subaru gray colors for 1995-1999 Legacy models, apparently, with different part numbers for each gray color, so I'll post all of those as well. Then hopefully you'll have all the retrofit part info. you need. :)

The LATCH manual indicates the 1995-1999 Legacy wagon models have three 8mm weld nuts located in the rear top ceiling trim for retrofitting up to 3 top tether anchors. The 1995-1999 Legacy wagons use Subaru top tether anchor retrofit part number 96031AC070 for dark gray, or 96031AC080 for red gray.

If you have a Legacy sedan instead of a wagon version, the 1995-1999 Legacy sedans have three 8mm weld nuts in the rear filler panel and can be retrofitted with Subaru top tether anchor part number 96031AC000MU for dark gray, or 96031AC000RA for red gray.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC