Tall Toddler

A

acbarnel

Tall Toddler

My daughter is 36 1/2 inches and 2 years 8 months. Her shoulders are now above the shoulder strap slat in her Britax Roundabout Convertable seat. She needs to be moved to a five point harness booster. I am looking at the Century Nextstep SE Booster with five point harness because we have looked at several seats that she is too tall for (with five point harness since she is under 40 pounds) and the Britax Husky did not fit into our Suburban (captains chairs) properly. Also her cousin has this seat and was 40 inches at the age of 2 and a half. Any other seat suggestions and is there anyone out there with a Chevy 2001 Suburban using the Century Nexstep SE Booster and does it fit well?

Thank you.

ADS
U

UlrikeDG

First, are you POSITIVE her shoulders are above the top...

slots? For reference, my 43" tall son, who will be 5 in March, is right *at* the top slots on this seat. He is "all leg", but it's hard for me to imagine that a 36" tall child could possibly be too tall for the seat, even if she's "all torso." The Roundabout cover is so plush that it is notorious for sliding down and obscuring where the top slots actually are. I suggest you very carefully line the cover up with the slots, and then put your daughter in and see if she's really got as little room as you think.

Additionally, you may want to call Britax customer service (1-888-4-BRITAX) and ask them how to tell if she's outgrown the seat. I know for rear facing, they changed the standard recently. They could tell you that she can continue using it until she's 40 lb or until the tops of her ears reach the top of the seat. I didn't confirm this when I talked to them a couple of weeks ago, because my son is hitting the top slots, the top of the seat/ears & the weight limit almost simultaneously, so it doesn't matter for him.

A

acbarnel

To add to my post

Yes, I am positive that she is above the slat, not by much but it's there. It was a policeman/car seat tech who noticed it and said she should be moved soon. I have just begun to research the next seat. She is long in the torso (she's wearing size 4/5 pants due to being long waisted) which I forgot to add and I stand corrected that she is 37". I have sat her in several seats to see where her shoulders lie to see which will best fit her needs in the future. Next to questions about the Century Nextstep SE I'm wondering if anyone has one in a Chevy Suburban 2001. Thanks!

J

Julie

Is the SE the model with no front adjuster?

I think I used to have one, and it did NOT have a front adjuster, and that is really a problem. There are other models that DO have front adjusters (DX or MX, I think). Here's a quick buying guide with what to look for, and check the "database" link, it may have your car and what carseats work or don't work in it (Broken link removed, website no longer exists). Also, page 28 of the online roundabout manual at britaxusa.com does in fact confirm you can use the seat till 40 pounds or the tips of the ears reach the top of the seat without regard to where the shoulders are in relation to the harness slots, so you probably have at least a *little* time to try to find a great combo seat. you can try them out at babies r us in your car, if you have one of those stores near you (and maybe toys r us, but im not 100% sure on that)

U

UlrikeDG

In that case, here are my recommendations...

Julie is right. You want to avoid the Next Step SE, because it does not have a front adjuster.

Anyway, my recommendations are here. user.mc.net/~carseat/carseats.html#comb All of these seats have top slots that are taller than the Roundabout.

M

Mom w a Next Step

Next Step dx or mx not sure

I'm not sure which one we have but it does have a front adjuster and it's easy to use depending on clothing. As for securing it in the car I can get it very tight in my van with fairly flat seats and my sister's extended cab Chevy P/U with very deep seats I do have to kneel in it though. However my sister recently bought the new one ( with latch but she doesn't have latch) because it doesn't have the flap on the front to feed the seat belt through it's VERY dificult to get tight. This may not be the case for a Suburban, especially if you have latch. Just wanted to add my 2 cents

A

acbarnel

Thank you

Thank everyone for their help about the Century especially letting me know about the SE being the rear adjustment and to look for the DX. The Suburan does not have LATCH as it is a 2001 and the bucket seats are not flat but tilted in the seat a bit which may be a problem. Glad to know I can test it out in the car first as at Babies-R-Us as we have that luxury in a local smaller toy store that sells car seats and that's how I found out the Britax Husky didn't fit well at all and she didn't fit in the Marathon well and wouldn't for long. I did check out the car compatibility list first thing and there isn't anything on it for the 2001 Suburban as of yet. You've all been very helpful I'll keep at it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC