Is it too old?

U

Unregistered

How old is too old to keep using a carseat? My mother-in-law bought a carseat at a yard sale. I worry that it is too old to keep my 18-month-old safe. It is a fisher-price model and instead of being mostly plastic like today's models it has the metal bars (I'm talking old). I bought a new one for my car, and we still have one from when my son was little (it's about 5 years old), that my husband uses in a pinch, but I think her's is too old. Any comments.

ADS

Sum1Else

Senior Community Member
The JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association) recommends not using a child safety seat beyond 6 years from the date of manufacturer. Some manufacturers allow longer usage.*

That being said, I would be very concerned about the seat your mother purchased at a yard sale. Does it have all of the parts, instructions, labels, etc? Is there any obvious damage? Do you know the history of the seat (esp. crash history)?

*The reasons for not using a child safety seat after the recommended time frame have to do with possible breakdown of the plastic shell and other parts due to usage. Also, consider how quickly safety advances are being made.

mamamia

ALl FP convertibles have the purple metal bars around the outside. It is not an indicator of age. FP stopped making seats in 2001, and they have an 8 or 10 year expiration. I can;'t remember at the moment, but I have two FP Safe Embraces and they are great seats. Mine were manufactured in 2000 and 2001 and have the blue and white checked cover and purple harness straps. The older ones (pre-2000) have a blue velour type of cover with tan straps. Some of the earliest modles did have a recall, and since FP stopped making seats replacement parts are not readily available. The seat you have should have a manufacture date on it. It is on a small white sticker either on the side or back of the seat. FPSEs were ranked number 1 by Consumer Reports prior to being discontinued in 2001.

FP does recommend replacing seats if they are involved in an accident, so if you don't know the history of the seat, I would avoid using it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC