noodles

ADS
C

Caviller

A swim noodle!

Noodles are 2.5" to 4" diameter foam tubes, sometimes round sometimes in a hexagon. We sometimes use them to place under the front of a rear-facing carseat if more recline is needed.

water_noodle_shapes_wn20.jpg

If a noodle isn't available, a tightly rolled cotton towel is often used as a substitute.

Darren

J

JRR

Noodles

if the rear seat position has the babies nearly vertical, is it alright for a non-cps person like me to try a noodle, or should I track down a pro?

C

Caviller

Can you provide some more information, please?

If possible, can you please list the age and weight of your child, along with the model of your carseat and vehicle?

In general, you should be able to add a noodle or tightly rolled towel to recline a rear-facing carseat by yourself.
Of course, technicians are always happy to help and the service is usually free if you run into trouble!

With the exception of young infants who don't yet have enough neck strength to support their heads, less recline is actually a bit safer while rear-facing. While front facing, it is never a good idea to add additional recline over what is recommended by the manufacturer.

Darren

P

phoenixaura

BabiesRUs has something...

that is basically a swim noodle that they sell specifically for going under car seats. It is cut to size and is called something else, but is basically the same thing as a swim noodle. They are used when the infant car seat does not lean back to the proper angle (45 degrees). Alot of the convertible car seats can have problems with making the right angle when being used as back facing. If your car seat does not have a little level thing that shows you when your seat is at the right angle you might want to get a pro to install it for you just so you know how the seat is suppost to look the first time.

R

Robert

Re: noodles

Another note is that you can only use the noodle for a rear facing child seat. The noodle is placed at teh seat bight (the crack where the back of the seat meets the seat part you sit on). Never for a forward facing seat.

J

JRR

more info

Twin Britax Roundabouts in a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, rear facing. The boys are 26+ inches and 20+ pounds, 8 mos old. Right now, I've added nothing and have the tether's attached to the inner rear legs of the front seats using the d-ring attachement. Everything seems real solid, but the angle of the seats seems uncomfortable.

C

Caviller

It sounds like they are rear-facing, which is great-

They are now old enough such that less recline is a bit safer for them. 45 degrees is the maximum recline, but is only necessary for newborns and young infants because of possible breathing problems when they are that small.

With Britax Roundabouts, the preferred way to adjust for more recline is to tighten the tether as you have it attached. You may get a slight tilt, but that is generally not an issue unless it is really skewed over a lot.

Darren

J

JRR

rear facing

Yeah, "rear facing" would pretty much indicate they are rear facing . . . :)

I guess I was worrying that if I crank it down too much with the tether that I could warp or damage the seat (especially since it is so hot down here in Texas). But, if that is the accepted method, I'll give it a whirl and see if I can give it a little more tilt. I'm no where close to 45 degrees and don't expect to get close--the back seats have a fairly steep angle to the back.

T

Thia327

Re: noodles

We have a roundabout it's in a Chevy Malibu and when we first put it in the car - it seemed like she was sitting up too straight - not very comfortable. We took it to a carseat inspection and they put a noodle under it and she seems much more comfortable than without it. I asked my husband what he tought the angle was with the noodle and he said it's probably 65 -70, and sitting with no noodle being 90.

J

JRR

Thanks

Tightening the tether seems to have made enough difference that the boys aren't falling forward any more. Thanks very much for the information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC