V

vetmommy

Need help w/ recline on rf Roundabout in Odyssey

(This message was left blank)

ADS
V

vetmommy

text

Not sure how that happened (didn't mean to post yet).

I can't seem to get enough recline to keep my son's head from falling forward when he sleeps. RA rf in 2nd row center, tethered to underside of the captain's chair it sits on (2002 Honda Odyssey EXL). Can I tether to the front passenger seat track? This seems to fix the problem, but it's not listed as a suggested site. I can't find anything else under the front seat, since it has a storage bin and the seatbelt anchor is hidden somewhere in the plastic.
The only other thing that seems to work is to use a jumbo pool noodle (approx 2-3 times the size of regular pool noodle) and it elevates the foot end of the base a great deal (have to really tighten vehicle belt to keep base horizontal). My owner's manual does say it's okay to use towels for recline, BTW.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Tara

R

Robert

Re: Need help w/ recline on rf Roundabout in Odyssey

Using the track should be fine as long as when you move the seat it doesn't interfere with the tether strap. In this case you should not have to use a noodle when using the tether strap. I also highly recommend you contact a local child passenger safety technician to give you a hand and some suggestion that may be needed. You can locate one with the "free car seat inspection" link at the top of the page.
Robert

C

Caviller

Like Robert said, the track should be fine if you avoid anyplace where it could be cut or where would move with the seat. The seatbelt anchor is narrow and you have to pop off the plastic cover to get the strap around the anchor such that it wont slip upward on the belt.

Also, a 45 degree MAXIMUM recline is recommended for young babies who have little neck strength or head support. Older babies are actually a bit safer with less recline, even though it may look uncomfortable when they sleep. You can pull the rear-facing tether very tight to help get the recline you need. How old and how heavy is your baby?

I can get a 45 degree recline in my 2001 Odyssey 2nd row captain's chairs with the tether going straight down to the anchor under the chair. I did have to pull the tether very tight to do this. I do have a small piece of foam under the base, but it is really filling the gap and doesn't provide the recline. Mine is a bit less reclined now, you may have seen the photos:

www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

photos.yahoo.com/bc/tcavi...yahoo.com/

Good luck!

V

vetmommy

more info

Matthew is 13 mo old, 22 lbs. When I first installed it, it was a good bit more upright than 45 and when he slept his head fell forward onto his chest, waking him up, so that's why I felt like it needed more recline (I'm probably aiming for 30-40 degrees). I tried tethering to the underside of the chair and couldn't get enough recline even pulling on the tether strap as hard as I could. When I install it, I first use the seat belt, getting it so snug the car will move before the RA, then try to tether for recline. Am I getting the seat in too tight before reclining?

I will try it again w/out the jumbo noodle (the small one just keeps the foot of the seat from getting stuck in the bight). Most of the techs I've met around here seem to have little experience w/ the RA, but I can try giving them a call again. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Tara

C

Caviller

It sounds like you're on the right track-

You may just have to play with it a bit to find the method that works best. It may be possible to leave it just a bit looser with the seatbelt, and when you make the tether tight that may tighten the seat belt also. A last resorts is to have someone help you install it. They can keep the back of the RA pushed down and the tether tight while you make the seatbelt tight.

At 13 months and 22 pounds, your infant is actually a bit safer with less recline. Although the waking is annoying, I don't think it is a health risk; breathing issues are usually limited to newborns and young infants. You could ask your pediatrician if they think it is a problem. Just don't let them convince you that front facing is better now that your baby is over 1 year and 20 pounds :)

As for techs, you might ask for a senior checker or an instructor. They might be more likely to have experience with rear-facing tethers on Britax products. Most technicians should know how to contact an instructor in their area.

Good luck!

Darren

S

safeinthecar

In my area(San Fran. bay ) almost every other seat we see at check ups is an RA. If you need to tighten the tether more and can,t then go ahead and loosen the seatbelt a little.I generally take my infant with me to events and have successfully installed manyRFRAs one handed while nursing, proof positive that Britax is tops for ease of use. Here's the trick, put the front edge of the car seat(the recline adjuster area) into the crack of the seat. The seat will be sitting straight up or even leaning forward a bit. Thread the belt through the path(make sure the lockoff is open first if you need it)and take all the slack out of the belt. Don't kill yourself to get it real tight, just make sure there is no slack. Close the lockoff. Now hook up the tether and pull it tight. The seat will recline and as it does it will pull upward on the seatbelt making it tight. That's it. If you need more recline and can't get it just open the lockoff and let a little bit of belt slide through. Then test how tight it is in the car.If it moves then you can tighten the selt some more but I usually don't have a problem. Also if you want less incline as the baby gets older, just loosen the tether and take up the slack in the belt. Think of it like balancing a tetter-totter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC