Graco Snug Ride DX 5 (old base) and 2002 Odyssey w/latch

O

orangevale

We've been test driving the new ody's and I've been wondering the best configuration for this carseat. On our test drives, I've slid the right side second row captain chair to the middle (best place for infant) and used the right side seat belt to secure the base. I was concerned about how far the seat belt needed to be stretched to secure the base since the seat belt originates from the side of the car, not the seat. Also, this configuration makes it impossible for anyone to get to the third seat. The base didn't move more than an inch so I figured it was okay for the test drive.

If we buy the car, I would definitely buy a convertible seat with LATCH so that we could keep the captain chair in the middle. My plan is to get the Britax Roundabout which won't be available until probably late summer. My quandary is what to do in the meantime. Because I have the old base, I cannot use the Graco LATCH retrofit kit. I figure my options are:

1. Leave captain chair in middle until roundabout is available on the market (is this safe?)
2. Move the captain chair back to the right side

Any advice?

p.s., I have checked the base for the recall and it's fine. Also, my infant is 6 mos and 14 lbs so I believe we'll be able to use the Graco until the roundabouts w/latch are available.

ADS
C

Caviller

Re: Graco Snug Ride DX 5 (old base) and 2002 Odyssey w/latch

Hi-

As you know, the middle is the safest spot, as long as the carseat fits well there. Having the seatbelt stretch that far is not a safety issue, as long as the carseat is still installed tightly. You should not be able to move the base more than an inch side-to-side or front-to-back when you grip it at the point where the seatbelt is routed. The carrier will have more movement, especially at the top, but that is normal. Since you had less than an inch of movement, it sounds like it should be OK.

If you can't get it installed tightly, an outboard position is also a good option, especially if you frequently need access to the 3rd row seat. One final option is that you can use the LATCH kit to directly install the carrier, and not use the base (or perhaps put the base in the other 2nd row seat for when you're in a hurry).

The choice is really up to you. Properly installed, any rear seating position is acceptable. Sometimes the added safety of the center seat may not balance other factors in some situations, and only the parent can make the final choice! Our children have always been in the outboard positions of our Odyssey.

If you haven't seen the Odyssey carseat webpage, please also visit:

www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

There has also been a recent update to the LATCH information page including some details on upcoming models:

www.car-safety.org/minivan.html

Good luck!

O

orangevale

Great ideas! I never even thought to use the carseat without the base. I forgot that was an option.

I checked the installation instructions on Graco's website. As we know, it states "don't use the latch retrofit with the old base." However, it doesn't look to me that they provide instructions on how to use the retrofit WITHOUT the base.

Looking at the instructions on the carseat itself, it shows how to install the carseat without base using either a lapbelt or a 3-pt.seatbelt. I'm sure that I could use the latch retrofit strap similarly to how the lapbelt configuration is shown. However, I am little nervous in doing this. I would think that if this were a proper installation, it would have been included in the latch retrofit instructions, right? Am I missing something?

O

Orangevale

Ooops! Never mind. They do provide instructions on how to install the carseat without base using the retrofit. It's in the retrofit instructions page 6 figure B. Guess I just needed my morning coffee!

Thanks so much. Great forums!

C

Caviller

Glad to be of help, and thanks for the comments! And feel free to spread the word about us to your friends!

S

splichta

Graco DX5 and Odyssey

We use the DX5 in the Ody... actually we use two for our twins. So, I can't comment on the placement with the center as we keep the twins in the outboard positions...
But... Despite the official Graco stance, I have installed the bases successfully with the Cosco retrofit kit. It holds the bases TIGHTER than anything you can do with the seat belt. To be compliant [or paranoid], I use the seatbelt overtop the LATCH kit... in case there are any REAL issues with using the LATCH kit with the base. But I've done everything I can to prove to myself that the LATCH kit isn't better than the seat belt and I can't prove it. It's tight, doesn't move a millimeter, and SO SO much easier to adjust.
Just my two cents...

C

Caviller

Re: Graco DX5 and Odyssey

While it is possible to use accessories from one brand or model on another brand or model, it is never recommended.

While they may work in some cases, the combination is certain to be untested. In the case of a LATCH retrofit kit, there could be incompatibility issues that are not readily apparent. The connectors may be positioned such that the adjuster loosens over time, or may not distribute the forces correctly in a crash.

Obviously, parents can make their own choices based on their needs, but mixing and matching car seat parts is definitely not best practice :)

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

Just because it seems to fit well doesn't mean it will work

Just because it seems to fit well doesn't mean it will work when it counts! I really recommend you get the Graco kit if you want to use LATCH with that seat. The Cosco kit may *look* fine and *feel* fine now, but crash dynamics are *intense*. The Cosco kit has not been tested with the Graco seat, and if you were in a crash tomorrow, your baby would get to act as the dummy. In the mean time, I suggest you discontinue using the LATCH anchors and just install the seat with the vehicle belt. The potential is there for the Cosco kit to cause the base to fail so significantly that even the seatbelt would not be able to compensate. All might end up fine, but do you really want to take that risk?

If you are not satisfied with the fit of the seat, take it to a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. A CPS tech will often know a few "tricks of the trade" that can turn an inadequate fit into a ROCK SOLID one.

S

safeinthecar

Try calling Graco to see if your carrier is compatible with the new base, if so buy the new base(about25$)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC