Cosco backless booster

mamamia

Do you think this is a good "emergency use" booster? The other day, at the last minute my sister called for me to pick up my 5 year old nephew from school. He is 55 lbs or so, but since this was an unplanned pick up by me I had no spare seat for him. My sister and I live within a few houses of one another, and I was thinking that for $15 this would be a good seat just to keep in my garage for cases like this. She has a key, so if for some reason she had to pick up my 3.5 year old unexpectedly she too could just grab this seat. I don't love the idea of a backless booster, but this seems like a decent option for situations like this.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Cosco backless should be just as safe as any other backless models like the Turbo, RightFit, Polo, Starriser, etc. All backless boosters are very similar, and should have equal safety if fitted and used correctly. Backless boosters even have a very small advantage over high back models in a frontal crash. Since there is no back, the child can be all the way against the vehicle seat back giving them another inch or two and possibly reducing their head excursion very slightly.

Backless boosters don't provide any head restraint, of course, but this isn't an issue if the vehicle has a head restraint or high seat back that comes above the child's ears. Backless boosters also don't provide any side impact protection, though there are only a few high back booster models that provide any substantial side impact protection.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We have one and it is one of my son's favorites. If you are concerned about your vehicle seats getting dented, then it is maybe not the best choice (I have used this one and the smooth-bottomed right fit right next to each other, for a short trip or two, and the HR leaves dents in my cloth seats!). If you aren't so concerned with that (I think the lines DID go away on their own, anyway, lol), then it's probably the best priced booster with the biggest weight range (starting at 30...the Nania backless boosters start at 33 pounds, all the others start at 40).

Anyway, just my 2 cents... :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
joolsplus2 said:
then it's probably the best priced booster with the biggest weight range (starting at 30...the Nania backless boosters start at 33 pounds, all the others start at 40).

Anyway, just my 2 cents... :)

Thanks Julie- I didn't realize the Cosco had a 30 pound minimum. It's nice to have a lower limit at our events for when we don't have another option that will work:-(

mamamia

Julie pointed out that 30 lb limit to me a while back-that is why I was considering it over the Turbo and the Evenflo right start since they start at 40. My 3.5 year old is about 37 lbs dressed now, so she is getting close to 40, but my almost 2 year old is almost 2 lbs lighter than her sister at the same age, and I figure we may use it as an emergency booster for her when she is in pre-school.

I'll have to givbe the Nania booster a look at Sears. Not sure what they cost.

As for denting seats, I am sure by the time the kids are all out of boosters I will be looking for a new vehicle! The two wizards have left their mark in the capains chairs anyway, and baby number 3 won't be out of a booster for another 8 years 2 months!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
and baby number 3 won't be out of a booster for another 8 years 2 months!>>>

LOL, good point...don't count on that date, though...probably more like 10 years 2 months... I wonder how cool boosters will be by then? Or maybe our next cars will all have built-ins?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC