carseat and air travel

U

Unregistered

I will be flying with my 6 mo old son sometime this summer and he will be in a convertible car seat by then. I have already purchased the Evenflo Triumph. My husband and I have been discussing whether or not we should buy an airline seat for my son or if we should hold him. I am all for safety but I doubt that my son will be content in a car seat for a 3-3 1/2 hour flight. We will be needing to rent a car and if we do not purchase a ticket for my son and do not bring his car seat then we will be in a position where we have no car seat. I thought I read a thread in this forum where someone said that the car rental place wanted to charge almost as much to rent the car seat as they wanted for the car rental. ( I cant find that thread again). I was wondering how others have handled this situation. Also, I am guessing that theTriumph won't fit in an airline seat, due to its shape. We don't have a 2nd convertible car seat and we could purchase one with the idea that we will be needing it to fit in an airline seat. Any ideas on car seats that fit in an airline seat?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We always bought a seat for our kids, even as infants. Safety was one reason, but having the extra room and baggage allowance were others. You mentioned the other reason- not having to worry about a rental car company used child seat.

Most convertible child seats should fit in most airplane seats, though there can be incompatibilities. All convertibles should have an FAA sticker for airline use. Unfortunately, even the same type of airplane can vary even within the fleet of the same airline, so you never know for sure. A smaller, narrower model like the Cosco Touriva should have no problems. It is a basic, inexpensive seat but that might make it a good choice for a 2nd vehicle, too.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
There's some excellent information about air travel here. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

I would buy a ticket and use the seat on the plane.
  1. It's safer for your child while on the plane.
  2. You'll need the seat when you get to your destination, and it could get lost or damaged if you check it as luggage.
  3. It will be more comfortable for your child to have his own seat, and it will be more comfortable for you, too.
    [/list=1]

mmcphee

PLEASE purchase a seat for your child. I worked in the airline industry and you don't want your child to be injured should turbulance strike. Many airlines off deeply discounted seats (usually 1/2 off) but you will have to call the airline directly to book the seat.

I have flown Delta, Soutwest and Song with our Triumph and did not have any problems fitting it in the seat with one arm rest up.

The price for renting a car seat from a rental agency depends on your destination and the company, but I've seen $5-$7 a day.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
the seat is great

Speaking from experience, flying with the seat is a heck of a lot easier and more comfortable for everyone. I flew a couple times with my son as a lap child (before I knew any better). I was amazed at how nice the car seat was that first time we flew with it.

Have a safe trip,
Sara

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC