VA residents, where would you like to meet?

Where do you want to go>

• Busch Gardens/Water Country USA

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Colonial Williamsburg

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Kings Dominion

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • VA Beach

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yorktown Beach

• Richmond zoo

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens (Richmond)

• DC zoo

• something in the mountains

• Smithsonian in DC

• Total voters

Dawn

VLM got a huge makeover and looks better then ever! We loved going there. You won't recognise parts of Jefferson Avenue anymore. They have really built a ton of stuff.

ADS

Simplysomething

I've been to the Virginia Living Museum once...or twice. Not in the last 10 years though.

I've never been to the Mariners Museum...

When do you guys school systems have spring break? Ours is April 7-15 (Well, 9-13). School lets out June 13, barring any snow days.

skaterbabs

VLM got a huge makeover and looks better then ever! We loved going there. You won't recognise parts of Jefferson Avenue anymore. They have really built a ton of stuff.

Yeah, I was there about a year ago and nearly got lost because they'd actually FINISHED the construction right there at 64.... rofl :rolleyes: The construction had been there since I was a kid, so having it all gone really threw me for a loop.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
LOL -- I've always had a wandering soul. I didn't want to be stationed there in the first place, so I made do :D I was always heading out of the area at a moment's notice. One time I drove north to Quebec via Niagra Falls & Montreal (that was with my 1st spouse -- the only time we didn't argue was when we were on the road :rolleyes: ) Another time, I drove alone all the way down to the Florida Keys via the backroads along the coast. It was a very relaxing trip, especially since it was a very mild January.

Wow! That's cool! I wish I was that adventurous! :) :D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I've been to the Virginia Living Museum once...or twice. Not in the last 10 years though.

I've never been to the Mariners Museum...

When do you guys school systems have spring break? Ours is April 7-15 (Well, 9-13). School lets out June 13, barring any snow days.

When did your school system start?

• Our started September 6 (? I think...the Tuesday after Labor Day).
  • We only had 7 days off for winter break (December 25-January 1), spring break is April 2-6, and then we get out on June 18.
  • IN between, with the exception of winter and spring break, we only have six holidays-- Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, MLK, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, and Memorial Day.
  • The students have an additional five days (two days at the end of 1st quarter, two days at the end of second quarter, and one day at the end of third quarter).

skaterbabs

Here's another (possibly more budget-friendly) option.

http://the-playroom.com/groups.htm

It's not available on the weekends, but we could do spring break, or wait until school lets out altogether for summer. (It's a GREAT place to go when it's 100* outside. lol)

Parents are always free, as are babies under 6 mos (6-12 mos are 1/2 price, and there's a nice infant area partioned off to protect the little ones), and there's free wifi access in the little snack area. Plus, you can bring in your own food, or buy snack-type things there. She does private parties as well, so that may be something to think of if there are a lot of us able to go.

Simplysomething

When did your school system start?

We started the day after Labor day as well. Our Winter Break ran from the 22-1.
I've got out my school calendar right now.
There were 5 no-school days in November, 6 in December (excluding weekends around winter break),
3 in January, and 3 early release days.

Barring any bad weather there will be
2 in February, 5 in April, 1 in May June has 3 early release as well.

I think our calendar runs 180, or 182--with the 2 bad weather days built in.

skaterbabscpst said:
She does private parties as well, so that may be something to think of if there are a lot of us able to go.

That certainly is much more reasonable than 50 dollars a pop at a theme park.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We started the day after Labor day as well. Our Winter Break ran from the 22-1.
I've got out my school calendar right now.
There were 5 no-school days in November, 6 in December (excluding weekends around winter break),
3 in January, and 3 early release days.

Barring any bad weather there will be
2 in February, 5 in April, 1 in May June has 3 early release as well.

I think our calendar runs 180, or 182--with the 2 bad weather days built in.

Wow! That is quite different from our schedule!!

At this point, I wouldn't mind taking a trip to the zoo in Richmond. A little out of the way, but a great way to get my kids out of the house for the day while Dh sleeps, once summer vacation starts (mid-June here). The VA Aquarium would be fantastic, too.

BTW, there are a couple of go-kart places: one is out on the northern side of Williamsburg, off of I-64. I was just out that way the other day, at the sucky outlet malls nearby. ;) Another is in VA Beach. I have a brochure for that one, having been suckered into doing a Flat Stanley project recently for a cousin's child. :rolleyes:

Lots of natural caverns and other outdoorsey stuff to do here in VA, too, for the nature-lovers... a couple are off of I-81, near the I-64 junctures.

broken4u05

I live in maryland but go to VA often. I would love to get together if you will let me. lol. I want to go see my family anyway so i would make it into a weekend trip. Just let me know

skaterbabs

The zoo is a little pricey, but for the under 5 crowd it's excellent. It's a bit small, so older kids may not enjoy it.

MIL & I were talking today about taking the kidlets to the DC zoo sometime in June, it's free to get in, although parking isn't cheap.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The zoo is a little pricey, but for the under 5 crowd it's excellent. It's a bit small, so older kids may not enjoy it.

MIL & I were talking today about taking the kidlets to the DC zoo sometime in June, it's free to get in, although parking isn't cheap.

Yes, do come here!!! :)

If you were planning on doing other DC things, you could always park at Metro (free on weekends) and Metro around. You can get a day pass for $5/person.

It would be cheaper to park at the zoo if that is all you are doing, but the Metro is always a good option for those who are doing more around DC.

skaterbabs

Honestly, if the last time I went to the zoo was any inidcation, there's no way we could even see the whole thing in one day, much less if we were doing other thigs too. Of course, the boys would ADORE the Smithsonian.

CrabbyBunchX3

If you do the DC zoo let me know:) I'm in the WV panhandle and have been dying to take my kids to the DC zoo, but haven't made it there yet. (We frequent Winchester, VA and parts of MD down to Bethesda normally).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At this point, I wouldn't mind taking a trip to the zoo in Richmond. A little out of the way, but a great way to get my kids out of the house for the day while Dh sleeps, once summer vacation starts (mid-June here). The VA Aquarium would be fantastic, too.

BTW, there are a couple of go-kart places: one is out on the northern side of Williamsburg, off of I-64. I was just out that way the other day, at the sucky outlet malls nearby. ;) Another is in VA Beach. I have a brochure for that one, having been suckered into doing a Flat Stanley project recently for a cousin's child. :rolleyes:

Lots of natural caverns and other outdoorsey stuff to do here in VA, too, for the nature-lovers... a couple are off of I-81, near the I-64 junctures.

Hey! Meet us at the zoo, for sure! If it gets too hot we can come hang out at my house (right by the zoo) (ask Becky, my house has ample space for a busload of kids, lol)

:)

skaterbabs

that would work - and we could have a picnic dinner at your house. lol I'll even bake - as long as I can use your kitchen. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC