installing Platinum Cargo...trouble

U

Unregistered

I'm having lots of trouble installing the Platinum Cargo. We have a 1998 Subaru Forester and I'm installing the seat outboard. The center is occupied already by an infant. I LOVED the ease of installation of my Roundabout with the lock-off for front facing. No matter what I do this thing wiggles alot....well...only an inch or two but it is SO much more than the Roundabout. I tried the locking clip, but the way the buckle works the locking clip rests right on the plastic of the seat and it still wasn't solid. I kneeled, pushed pulled...whatever. My seat belt is a shoulder/lap combo without the latch plate on the belt that would allow the lap belt to stay in place. Any ideas? We do need a new car soon...but that seems rather expensive. I have an almost 3 year old who is about 31 lb and maybe 36in tall. I would prefer he stay in a 5 pt harness for a while and I need a narrow seat. The Marathon is even wider,yes? Help please....

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Some ideas to try....

Do your belts have switchable retractors? That is, if you pull the shoulder portion ALL the way out, does it go "click-click" back when you let it back in and doesn't allow you to pull it out again unless you let it ALL the way back in?

If that is the case, you should be able to lock the seatbelt that way. Tricks for getting it tight include putting your knee in the seat and using your weight to bear down on it while you pull out slack from the shoulder belt at the side and also, when you are standing outside the car with the seat installed, grab the shoulder belt and PULL as hard as you can away from the car, using your foot on the bottom of the doorjamb as leverage. If you've already switched over the retractor to locking mode, you can then allow the shoulder portion to pull back into the retractor.

If you don't have switchable retractors, you can and certainly should use a locking clip. If it's up too high in the beltpath when you have it on there, you can twist the buckle stalk (the part the seatbelt buckles into) several full turns (up to 6 full turns maximum) and then buckle the seatbelt. That should get the locking clip out of the seat's beltpath.

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
My mom has a '98 Forester, too. I've installed my boys' seats in it a couple of times and had problems too. Not sure what will work...I wasn't able to get our Century Next Step super tight no matter what I tried.

But...I just had a thought - not sure if it will work, though- the rear seatbacks recline don't they? I know in a bucket seat that can recline you can move the seatback down/back a notch or two, install the seat tightly and then put the seat back into the upright position and it usually gets the car seat in solid. Don't know if you'd be able to do this in the Subaru - seems like I had a hard time adjusting it, but it might be worth a try.

Raechel
tech and mom of 2

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC