Why Britax?

cookie123

Like anything, it appears you'll get as many opinions as people who use them. Some love, some hate!
I am so so. I hate the MA harness adjuster and won't get another Britax that has it. I'm not crazy about the high base, it's hard to lift up a heavy uncoop-erative kid in an suv into it. Or for a young toddler to get into themselves.

I got it for the higher harness slots in the first place. I knew my gks would never fit in it to 65 lbs. I can't imagine a 65 lbs kid in it. It's only redeeming feature to me these days is the velcro tabs to hold the harness out of the way when loading and unloading. I guess I do prefer the rf tether, as well. But my Radian has both - but it has install issues!

You just can't seem to get everything on one seat. I've been wishing for that since my own kids were little in the 80's. It still hasn't happened - of course now days I want more than I did then!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Everything you said, is why I don't personally buy Britax for my own seats. (At least haven't yet.) I do think they have some cute covers though (mostly for girls.)

Heather98012

Our infant seat & combo seats were not Britax. I loved our Evenflo Triumph, but in hindsight, I should have purchased a Britax MA as it would have lasted my dd longer (another year probably). However, the new Triumph Advance would last as long, so if I were to do it now....I dunno which I'd choose.

I'm not a fan of Britax's crazy patterns; I'm in the minority here. I like plain, simple ones that I won't get sick of looking at day in & day out. But...if you want cute patterns...Britax has a ton of them.

Now, my dd is in a Britax Frontier now. First time I've purchased a Britax product. I'm thrilled with it but I know others aren't in love with that seat. It's just a personal preference thing on that seat. Oh yeah...& I do like the fact that they are made in the USA. I'll pay a few more bucks for that.

So....like everyone else said....for a long time Britax was the leader of the pack in cutting edge technology. Many other companies are giving them a run for their money now, so there are numerous choices out there for you.

Oh & kudos to you on doing such thorough research ahead of time! :thumbsup:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I think that Britax seats are great (in fact I just bought another one this weekend--a Regent) but in terms of the convertibles, there are other options that will last you longer and for less $$.

rodentranger

I have 2 Marathons, a Frontier, a True Fit and a SnugRide. I've also had a Radian 65 and another Marathon. I've played with a BabyTrend FlexLoc, and a Roundabout/Diplomat.
I loathed the RN65 and sold it on CL. I am not fond of the TF either, but didn't want to fork over the money for another MA when one expired. I needed a less expensive back up seat with a 35 lb rf limit. The fact that it could be shorter for baby was a bonus. Too bad baby hates it.
Anyhow.... I like Britax seats because IME they are user friendly and simple. So far I have been able to install my MAs anywhere quite easily and quickly. With rock solid installs too, not "uh, 3/4" movement is good enough" installs. The Frontier has a learning curve, but so far it's been easier for me than the stupid RN. I know that DH and my mom can install the MAs in their cars and use them properly also. I really don't think that they could use the RN or the TF properly between the difficult installations and the hard to access rf harness adjuster on the TF.
I can only get the SR to install well with LATCH, so it isn't my favorite either.

L

Lb2

But I was just reading Consumer Reports where the Marathon rated really poorly in crash test ratings. The Roundabout did better but not as well as the Triumph 5. I don't know what to get!

jrmo

From what I recall, the Consumer Reports issue was one only in rear facing mode and only with LATCH. Apparently in their testing, it tipped too far backwards. That said, Britax, nor the government testing, has been able to replicate that finding.

Keep in mind also, that Consumer Reports was also responsible for the (later retracted) report saying nearly all of the infant "bucket" seats were unsafe, due to their faulty testing conditions. Someone feel free to correct me on this... :)

Melizerd

I love my Britax seats because they are super super easy to use and install in any car. They are comfortable for my child (yes this is very important), they allow tethering rear facing where most brands don't.

I had an infant seat that I liked so I never worried about the not fitting a newborn issue since it was a non-issue for me. I actually like that the seat sat higher up because of the base for my rear facing son. He could see out the windows better and it kept him entertained and having a happy entertained child in the car is very important.

Kids tend to outgrow all seats by height before weight so that's a non-issue

I didn't care what the price was because it was the best seat for US. That isn't true for everyone and there are people who aren't Britax fans and that's okay too. I'm a tried and true fan though. I love my Marathon and my Regent and wouldn't trade them for the world.

SavsMom

I have a Marathon and a Boulevard - I chose the Britax seats based on the fact that they are hands down the easiest seat for ME to install (not saying that other parents find that to be true) - I can get a rock solid install on both seats in several cars in minimal time with no issues. I also like the fact that Britax tests their seats over an above the govt standards.

I did have a True Fit for awhile and it was a great seat too...but I just couldn't get a good install so I got another Britax.

There are a lot of good seats out there, you have to get the seat that your child fits in properly and that you can install and use properly every time.

Maedze

But I was just reading Consumer Reports where the Marathon rated really poorly in crash test ratings. The Roundabout did better but not as well as the Triumph 5. I don't know what to get!

No...CR does NOT do crash tests. There are no 'crash test ratings' available from anyone.

CR is totally worthless when it comes to car seats.

As for the Roundabout, it's a minimally useful seat. I'd like to say useless, but I'm sure there are some things it's good for. Like, maybe a doorstop?

And the Triumph 5 hasn't been available for purchase for years.

NEVER trust CR for crs info!

mommycat

My own main reason for loving the Britax MA - ease of use (I like other things about the seat but this was the biggie, and worth the extra money). I felt I HAD to have the MA for the grandparents' car because they just weren't installing my other RF seat option reliably in their car, but had no issues putting in the MA tightly enough. The MA is head and shoulders above all my other seats for easy RF install. Their car is easy to install in but I tried the TF and the AOEs and neither was simple enough that I felt ok to let them uninstall repeatedly. I feel confident with the MA. And despite being large it fits better RF than the other 2 seats I tried, as well.

I just got another MA purely for the Cowmoo cover (thankfully just before the Canadian prices jumped up, booo). I think that seat would do very nicely in the other grandparents' car where I am having issues finding an acceptable solution for RF but I am NOT willing to let it out of my car at this time. I LOVE it (and I thought I loved my True Fit just as much until I got to use this one some more, and no, I love the MA more in many, though not all, respects).

Pixels

As for the Roundabout, it's a minimally useful seat. I'd like to say useless, but I'm sure there are some things it's good for. Like, maybe a doorstop?

Well, it will fit for a little while. It won't fit most newborns, and it won't last near long enough either RFing or FFing, but it will fit for a little while.

I wonder, without the Britax name, if the Roundabout would be as loathed as the ComfortSport.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I wonder, without the Britax name, if the Roundabout would be as loathed as the ComfortSport.

I still applaud the Roundabout. Easy to use. Installs well in a lot of vehicles. Still the standard for 40 pound convertibles as far as I'm concerned, though no longer that far ahead of the competition as it was years ago.

The Comfort Sport? Really?

WhatAboutPuppy

All I could find on CR was ease of use type of testing when I started my carseat research. Which I took for exactly that, which was going to be the easiest for me to install. But when it came down to it, they didn't test in my cars so even that doesn't really matter!

I did purchase my iron off of the ratings on CR though and that was a stallar purchase!! hahahaha :whistle:

o_mom

Um... no.

Let's see... ComforSport: DS1 - outgrew it at 24 months by height (FF)

Roundabout: DS1 still fit at almost 4. DS3 is still using it rear-facing at 23 months with over an inch above his head. I will probably move him to the RN soon, because I can, but he still has room RF and I will use it FF for my almost 4 yo DS2. I have had it in nearly continuous use for going on 5 years and I will cry bucket of tears when it expires next Feb.

I make a huge distinction between a seat that will not get you a long life for the price and one that is incredibly hard to install and use properly. The former is one I will mention with the caveat that you will probably need another seat later, but if your wallet is fine with that, then OK. The latter is one I will steer people away from at any price. For someone with only one child it probably isn't the best financial move. For someone with several kids close in age, it isn't the worst use of money. The CS was a complete PITB and I sold it on CL after just 16 months of using it. There are plenty of Triumph (original) lovers out there as well, even though it won't last nearly long enough, but I have yet to hear someone that 'loved' their CS... some 'it was OK' and some 'I didn't mind it' mixed with a whole lot of 'the worst seat ever'.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
the convertibles don't have low enough harness slots for newborns
I prefer infant seats that can be used without the base for emergencies & that can be kept at room temp. for newborns (they'll fit the Britax great after outgrowing an infant seat)

they are monsterously large and sit high up off the seat
The Regent is the only Britax seat I consider "monstrously" large -- the Britax convertibles have been quite easy for me to use in 3 across configurations because they sit up so high with a tiny base underneath.

most children outgrow the height limit before they reach the weight limit
This is true for most kids in most carseats. This is not a problem specific only to Britax. It's not even a problem at all, really, with Britax since Britax has lead the way in terms of higher size limits to keep kids safer longer.

the height limit is shorter than for other, comparable seats
Is it? The Roundabout, definitely, but last I heard the Marathon/clones were still great options: my kid fit RF in the BV until her 4th birthday after outgrowing other RF seats then available.

they tend to be rather expensive
Well, yes, but I can't think of any traditional HWH that are cheap....

Are they just that much better than other seats for the time they do work...?
I'm not sure how to interpret this question. All carseats that are used correctly work. Ease of correct use is subjective, varying from person-to-person & also the different vehicles in which that person is installation their seat. IME, Britax is easiest to use correctly in more vehicles. Not to mention easier, IME, to clean.

Did they come out with the higher limit seats before everyone else, thus having a legacy?
They are known as innovators in the field, yes. It has only been within the last couple years that we've seen so many ERF/HWH options. Simply, put, Britax was the only ERF/HWH option for some years.

Britax & a few other companies that sell seats in the US also adhere to European standards, so it's somewhat easier to trust them. Especially when their recalls are due to further in-house crash testing rather than NHTSA having to force them into recalls after numerous injuries.

Besides that, Britax seats just feel more solid than some comparable options & until quite recently they were the most comfortable option, too.

Mommy0608

Britax is nice, yes, but which seat is best is really a matter of what works best for YOU and YOUR child, not anyone else.

That said, I'm not a Britax fan. I recently had the option of getting either a True Fit or a Marathon, and without even considering price, the True Fit was the winner hands down. Both seats installed easily for me, so that wasn't a deciding factor. I chose the TF because of the taller shell and harness height, because it will last longer both RF and FF. It also has a deeper seat area for my long-legged RF child who is almost 3 years old.

Many of the OP's points are true for many seats, not just Britax. I won't go on and on because the point has already been made several times. For some reason I just felt compelled to add my :twocents:.

Good luck choosing the seat that works best for you and your child. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about any particular seats. That's what we're here for! :)

jujumum

I still applaud the Roundabout. Easy to use. Installs well in a lot of vehicles. Still the standard for 40 pound convertibles as far as I'm concerned, though no longer that far ahead of the competition as it was years ago.QUOTE]

I love our Roundabouts. In our 2 MPVs, we couldn't fit a MA/BLVD/FPSVD in the middle row RF at the proper 45 degree angle when our little ones were tiny. They are a little easier for airline travel with than a MA.

We only were able to use the RAs RF for just over a year for each child, but it was worth it for us. We only paid about $150 each on sale (delivered), and can likely sell them for $100 each on CL since they held up well and have a great resale value. So, the net cost of use will be pretty minimal in our case.:D

Maedze

Well, it will fit for a little while. It won't fit most newborns, and it won't last near long enough either RFing or FFing, but it will fit for a little while.

Nuh uh....the ease of install and buttery smooth adjuster make it a really good doorstop!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC