Safe-Fit Belt Positioner

Y

Ysolde

Safe-Fit Belt Positioner

I have a heavy 6yr old. We have had her in the Komfort Kruiser by Jupiter Systems (I think) for the past 2 years. She is nearing 75 lbs and I believe our Komfort Kruiser was only rated to 80 lbs. While shopping for my younger child, I found the Safe-Fit Belt Positioner which claims to have less movement of the child than even a belt-positioning booster seat. I haven't yet tried or installed this product. I wanted to know if anyone had tried it and verified that it does work and would it be okay for my daughter? The Komfort Kruiser has been wonderful (and highly recommended). I'm just concerned that she's close to the weight limit for it. I did notice that the current Komfort Kruisers seem to be rated to 100lbs, but we really can't afford to buy 2 more of them!

Thanks for your help!

ADS
C

Caviller

Re: Safe-Fit Belt Positioner

First, if you haven't already, please call Jupiter at 1-800-465-5795 ext.24. Check to see if you can use your booster to 90 or 100 pounds, which is typical of their current models. You might need your serial number and date of manufacture when you call.

Second, seatbelt adjusters are not generally recommended. As aftermarket products they are not regulated by the NHTSA safety standards, despite some misleading claims you may see. Also, most of these products are not crash tested. Some do function to keep the shoulder belt in the right place, but many also lift up the lap belt too high which is equally unsafe.

A much better option is a less expensive booster. Some of the Cosco models go to 100 pounds.

How old is your younger child, and how heavy?

Thanks!

Darren

Y

Ysolde

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info. After reading the info on this site (and the others) I had pretty much convinced myself (and dh) that the Safe-Sit (it's not Safe-Fit) wasn't a good idea. I thought about keeping it to have available (in my daughter's backpack) just in case she has to ride in someone else's vehicle home from school, because I figured it would be pretty than nothing. I also checked out our boosters (they're the Komfort Rider GT models) and they're rated to 90 lbs so we still have awhile.

My "little" one is actually being the more difficult problem. He's almost 2, weighs slightly over 30lbs, and likes to undo the "paperclip" style buckle on his car seat. We have 2 Evenflo Ultima V's (in my van and dh's sedan) and 1 Evenflo Medallion XL (in the babysitter's car). I'd LOVE to get a Britax Husky (when available) for him, but can't really swing the cost for 3. He's too small to use the Komfort Riders (and way too immature) so I'm stuck right now. I like the look and features and weight limits on the Cosco Summit, but I'm concerned about Cosco (too many recalls). I'd take any suggestions you have -- short of a straight jacket. ;)

Thanks again for the wonderful information on this site!

C

caviller

More ideas-

If you don't like the Summit, also consider similar models like the Evenflo Apollo or Century NextStep. They don' t go to 100 pounds, but that may be fine for your 2-year old for a long time.

You should also contact Evenflo to see if perhaps they have a 2-piece chest clip that will work with your current carseats. It's worth a try, and might save you some money at least until he hits 40 pounds.

Please ask again if you have any more questions!

Darren

S

safeinthecar

Re: Safe-Fit Belt Positioner

Not a straight jacket exactly, but you might want to look into an ez-on vest, it goes on just like a vest but it fastens in back . you then use it with your cars seatbelts and a tether. you would only need one as it goes on the child not in the car.

Y

Ysolde

Where?

Thanks so much. Where can I find an ez-on vest and who manufactures it? Thanks again. This site is invaluable!

M

murphydog77

Re: Where?

You can contact E-Z-On at www.ezonpro.com. They should be able to tell you where you can purchase one. When you talk to them, be sure to ask about tether anchor requirements. I have a vague memory that their vests require them.

To add to the earlier discussion about the belt positioner for your dd, I wouldn't even bother buying one to put in her backpack in case she rides with someone else. These types of products adjust the shoulder belt at the expense of the lap belt position. The lap belt usually ends up being pulled up over the abdomen, instead of sitting across the hips. An inexpensive, lightweight low-back booster would be much better if she'll have a head rest in the vehicle. But, I realize it's not always practical to take a booster seat to school in a backpack ;) .

Heather

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC