Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab - will a car seat fit

U

Unregistered

Sorry but can anyone tell me if a car seat fits in the back of the Xtra Cab?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In general, pickup trucks are among the most difficult vehicles for child seat installation and compatibility. With the exception of some full-size models with 4-doors and a large back seat, you may encounter various problems.

I can't help you with the model you mention, though there are a few entries in the "Compatibility" link under the top banner.

Good luck!

mamamia

My BIL drives a Tacoma Xtra Cab-I want to say it is a 1995 or 1996. I know they have a backless booster in the back seat as well as a high back booster (Graco Ultra Cargo). What type of seat are you trying to fit? I think a rear-facing convertible may be a tight squeeze...

U

Unregistered

Xtrcab Tacoma

I haven't gotten one yet but am looking at buying this model truck. I am hoping that I can find something to fit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mamamia...do you know if they have the Cargo actually "installed"...have you had a chance to look at it?

Reason I'm asking is, My friends have a 96 Tacoma, and no front airbag, so on the rare occasion they put the baby in it, he would ride in the infant seat in the front seat, but now he's getting too big for it, and I've promised to help them look for a good seat for the rear position (they KNOW I will not let him ride Forward facing till he's at least a year old...he's 8 months and 21 pounds now...he's just not cooperating by staying short and skinny, lol).
So I'm trying to find something good that will work for this truck too. I couldn't get the Airway to fit well enough.
I might try the Touriva, but it would only fit forward facing in the back seat, I'm sure.

Anyway, enough babbling...back to my original Q...is the Cargo installed and does it fit properly (no more than one inch movement side to side or front to back)?

Don't feel any need to rush, I don't think they really take him in that car, and if they do, they can put the Wizard RF in the front seat for now...I'm just doing research :)

mamamia

Julie-I totally forgot about that! I am pretty sure my niece was 40 lbs by the time they got the truck last summer, so I bet they use it only as a booster.

Have you tried a next step? I am pretty sure that is shorter front to back than the Ultra CarGo.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the NS IS shallower than the Cargo...Hmm...I wonder if I can find one on closeout anywhere... (I'm a nut! I've already given her 2 seats, promised her another one, and am looking for one for the truck...and let's not even get into the strollers I make her buy, lol)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I used to have one, it wasn't my favorite seat, either. It was THE very first model...no front adjuster, and those huge rubber pads on the belly part of the harness (they were kinda cool, kept the harness from twisting at ALL)...but it was a bear to install correctly compared to my Medallion in my cars....
But it's not the *worst* seat, especially if it fits well.

Anyway, that's a good price, thanks for the head's up! (Email me if you want to work out a deal with your seat...I have a couple months ;) )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC