Rear Facing for Large Baby

L

lisa_h

My son is fairly large, at 6 months he was 30" and 21 lbs. That was a month ago. I don't really want to know how tall he is now. My problem is rear facing seats. I know he is already too tall and weighs too much for his seat now, but I can't find a good alternative. If I get a combo seat then I can't lift him out easily when he is asleep, plus all the combo seats I have seen do not recline as much as a "just" rear facing seat. I am lost. I saw one from Graco that was rear facing upto 30 lbs and 1 yr, but he is only a few inches away from the max length they say is the length for a 1 yr old. My guess is that seat would last 1 month, if he hasn't grown in a month (LOL).

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I just don't want to resort to a combo if there is an answer out there.

Lisa:confused:

ADS

mdsvc89

From what I've read on this board (and I'm sure many others will chime in) the *real* decision about what to do about height is based on where the child's head is. You need about 1" of shell above the baby's head. So, a baby with a short torso will last longer in a carseat than a baby of the same length with a long torso.

As for your current situation, you MUST MUST MUST get him out now, since he exceeds the weight limits for your seat.

The Graco SafeSeat goes to 30lbs (it's a "bucket" style seat/carrier).

That said, I had my daughter in a convertible at 4 months or so. It was a bit of a pain, but most of the time she stayed asleep when we took her out of the seat. I'm sure others will chime in on good convertibles for a big baby.

-Michelle

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you really want the convenience of the infant carrier, then the Graco Safeseat1 routinely fits large babies well past a year, usually to 18+ months. I bought one for my 8 month old to 'get us through the winter'. Otherwise, there are plenty of nice tall convertible seats like the Britax Marathon, Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, Cosco Scenera or Safety1st Uptown that will keep him rearfacing till 30 or more (depending on the seat) pounds and till at least age 2, then will go forward facing till 40-65 pounds :)

SPJ&E

Your son's growth should slow down quite a bit soon. My first son was almost 20 lbs. at 6 months, about 22.5 lbs. at 1 year, and is just 26 lbs. now at 2 years old.

I would go with a convertible for him, to get the most from your money and also so you don't have to worry about buying a new seat for a few years.

The Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard ($220-$300) and the SunShine Kids Radian ($180) are great choices, they go to 33 lbs. rear-facing and 65 lbs. forward-facing, they have tall backs and high top slots, and they have a versa-tether that can be used rear-facing (Britax's and the Radian are the only seats that have this). Britax's are very easy to install and use and are a favorite around here. The Radian is a great seat IF you can get a good install...it can be difficult, if not impossible, to install in some vehicles...it's definitely a seat you would want to try before buying. All of these would last until around 5 years old.

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe ($150) is made by Britax, but under the Fisher Price name. It goes to 33 lbs. rear-facing and 55 lbs. forward-facing. I believe it's made on basically the same shell as the Marathon, so it's the same size and has the same height top slots. It does NOT have built-in lockoffs or a rear-facing tether though. This one would also last until about 5 years old.

If you are looking in the $100 range, there is a new seat called the Safety 1st Uptown ($99)...we don't know a whole lot about it though. It goes to 35 lbs. rear-facing and 40 lbs. forward-facing. It seems to be similar to the Cosco Scenera, but with more padding/nicer cover. I'm not sure, but I would say this one would last until 3-4 years old, depending on the height of the back and the top slots.

The Cosco Scenera ($40) is a great value, BUT has next to no padding. It has a tall back and a 35 lb. RF weight limit, so it's great for extended rear-facing, then it goes to 40 lbs. forward-facing. This one would last until about 4 years old.

I think I've covered the most often recommended convertibles here! If not, someone else will add what I've missed!

If you don't already know about extended rear-facing, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends rear-facing for as long as possible (to the limits of a convertible seat) for the best protection, which would be to 30-35 lbs. OR when the head is 1-inch from the top of the carseat. My 2 year old is still happily rear-facing and will be until he outgrows his seats rear-facing and so will his little brother! A lot of us here have our little ones rear-facing well past the outdated, bare minimum of 1 year AND 20 lbs. Here are some links for you, if you would like to check out the information:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats.html
http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/rear.html
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page=2

And a video that contains crash test footage of RF vs. FF
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI

I hope this helps and sorry it's so long!!

scbusf

My DS is 5 months and 22 pounds :eek: . I am using the Radian and the Marathon and we just don't worry about waking him up if he's asleep. Shoot, we can't carry him in the infant carrier anyway, he's too heavy!!!!

So we opted for longevity of a seat over convenience.

Sherry

LovinMyBabies

We just put our 2.5 month old in a Britax Marathon. She's like any other 2 month old and still fairly floppy, but the recline is ok for her. I do roll up a receiving blanket and put it by her though.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ask your pediatrician for a prescription for an extended RF carseat (Scandinavian Britax Two Way Plus/Elite) to keep kiddo RF until the minimum 12 months.... You will need the Rx to petition NHTSA for the foreign seat.

This is expensive (~$300+) & the carseat is very unique compared to what we have here, but it may be the only option for keeping your child RF until the spinal ligaments are developed enough to turn FF. There are at least 2 Scandinavian moms (AKA "Dolly" + "Norway") in the forums here who may help with translation & at least 1 family who has the Two Way Plus/Elite for their child. Hopefully we can all help you with installation if your local CPST cannot.

I suggest brining the updated AAP policy statement with you, referrencing Section 1.

I'm not sure I'v ever seen a link for petitioning NHTSA, but you can call them for details 1-888-327-4236

Ahzryn

Her child is only 21 pounds, why would she need to petition for an imported seat? The baby is tall, but the Britaxes, Radian, and even the 3 in 1's and the Scenera and Uptown should accomodate him easily. Or did I miss something?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Dyslexia -- sorry! I thought it said 30# 21" :rolleyes:

Whichever seat fits the child, fits the vehicle & is always used correctly is "best" then ... play around with carseats to find the features you like, test them out in your vehicle if possible (look for good return/exchange policies) & let kiddo choose the most comfy based on fit, ease of use + cost ;)

kelly

plus all the combo seats I have seen do not recline as much as a "just" rear facing seat.

The Britaxes (you'd want to skip the Roundabout and go with the larger Marathon, Blvd, or Decath) can tether rear facing, bringing them to whatever angle between the newborn's 45 degrees and bolt upright that your baby would prefer. They are very tall and will last your baby for a long time. :)

Yes, you'd be past the "carrier convenience", but at his age he's likely to start sleeping less and less anyway. AND, he's just too heavy to lug in a carrier anyways! :)

His growth will soon start slowing, it really will. Notice how newborn clothing is sized every 3 months (0-3, 3-6), toddler clothing every 6-12 months (12-18, 2T, 3T).

My son is 28 months, 31-ish pounds and 37 inches. He's still RF in an MA with loooooots of height left. Weight, only a couple pounds, though. He's always been pretty "average" on the growth charts.

L

lisa_h

Re: Rear Facing for Large Baby-thank you

Thank you all. You are ALL right. First I have my DH carry him because of how heavy he is:eek: . I really liked hearing about the 1" rule from the top of the shell to his head. That gives me a lot of hope on him being able to last in one that goes to 33lbs. I kept thinking weight will be fine but what about height. I do have a DD, but she was sooooo petite I never had to worry about anything like this. As a matter of fact she is 3.5 yrs and is only 32 lbs. My DS is more than half her height already.

I am sure from all of your posts that we will be buying a Britax NOW. Does it switch from car to car easily?:confused: One car has the LATCH and one does not.

Thanks again
Lisa

kelly

Re: Rear Facing for Large Baby-thank you

I am sure from all of your posts that we will be buying a Britax NOW. Does it switch from car to car easily?:confused: One car has the LATCH and one does not.

In my experience, and from everything I've read from others, Britaxes move pretty easily. I've installed mine in at least 5 or 6 different cars/ both front and rear facing, with or without LATCH and haven't had any sort of problem yet. With the seatbelt FF is super easy with the built in lockoffs. RF is more difficult because the RF lockoffs aren't great, but if your seatbelt locks, its generally still very easy.

Dolly

Maby you can import Hts izi kid?? 0-55lbs i dont know the rules
but its the best seat i ever seen.. when you fastend it in the car you cant move it.. the whole car moves if you try

My daughter started using this when she was 5 months and my brother thats 5 years old 45.3 inches and he sits wery good in the seat..

i dont know what is normal in US but if i translate to $ it will cost between 281-391$ depends if its on sale..

Here is my daughter in it 5 months old
Bilde(8)mindre.jpg

and here is my tall brother 5 years old in the same seat, i made a Car seat sleeping bag so that she wont be cold in the winter..
IMG_3159.JPG

my daughter will be rearfacing until she grows out of the seat.. 5-6 years old

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Oh Dolly that's a cool comparison to the great seats that other countries are able to keep their kids so safe and rear facing for so long!!! The sad thing is it is very illigal to imort seats and use them here in the US :( if not most of would already have the seats that rf to 50 or more pounds... :)

BUT, that sleeping bag behind you dd is VERY Dangerous... you aren't supose to put ANYTHING between the child and the harness or between the child and the seat shell except for a normal everyday layer of clothes, much much safer to put it OVER her in the car seat after she is harnessed in...

scatterbunny

Yes, those are great pics! :D

But in the US seats are not designed to leave so much space between the carseat and the vehicle seat back (for child's leg room). I'm not sure if those seats would install well in our vehicles? I've heard that mentioned before.

The carseat sleeping bag is an interesting idea, but ideally nothing should be between the child and the carseat, it could change how the seat performs in a crash.

Dolly

Oh Dolly that's a cool comparison to the great seats that other countries are able to keep their kids so safe and rear facing for so long!!!

BUT, that sleeping bag behind you dd is VERY Dangerous... you aren't supose to put ANYTHING between the child and the harness or between the child and the seat shell except for a normal everyday layer of clothes, much much safer to put it OVER her in the car seat after she is harnessed in...

it has a zipper that goes over the harness its not under the harness.. is that more dangerous than the babyinsert on the first picture..

they sell sleepingbags for car seat in babystores here

Why is it dangerus to keep something between the baby and the seat?

here is a picture of it closed:
IMG_2959.JPG

Here is a picture of sleepingbag for maxi cosi baby seat:
fmf_gipsy_logo.jpg

http://www.kiddies24.com/shop/produ...d=469&osCsid=ff46ce58dcd79279f71d24229060e041

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok i see it's made by the car seat manufaturer, then i guess it's not bad, as long as it was crash tested with the seat, ect...
usally like having a child wear their winter coat in the carseat, the harness will need to be losend to make room for the bulky coat, then in a crash it can compress the coat leaving up to 2-5 inches in slack in the harness and can give the child a mugh higher risk of being ejected from the seat, ect.

scatterbunny

If it's made by the carseat manufacturer for the carseat, then it's fine. :) In the US there are tons of aftermarket carseat products not made by the actual carseat manufacturer and not tested with the carseat; those are not considered safe and actually void the warranty on the seat if you use them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC