Need to know if I need to replace my seat.

remken

I was rearended today while stopped by a car going less than 10 miles per hour. There is no damage to either vehicle. No airbags delpoyed in either vehicle. I had my sons radian installed with latch in the center. In a 2005 impala. I had my car looked at by a bodyshop to make sure there was no damage underneath and he said everything looked fine. My son was not in the vehicle by the way.

x posted on babycenter also.

ADS

Lys

Senior Community Member
I was rearended today while stopped by a car going less than 10 miles per hour. There is no damage to either vehicle. No airbags delpoyed in either vehicle. I had my sons radian installed with latch in the center. In a 2005 impala. I had my car looked at by a bodyshop to make sure there was no damage underneath and he said everything looked fine. My son was not in the vehicle by the way.

x posted on babycenter also.

Here's what NHTSA recommends for minor crashes.
NHTSA Position
NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Clarifying the need for child seat replacement will reduce the number of children unnecessarily riding without a child safety seat while a replacement seat is being acquired, and the number of children who will have to ride without a child seat if a seat were discarded and not replaced. The clarification will also reduce the financial burden of unnecessary replacement.

oxeye

I followed the NHTSA recommendations above when my daughter's seat was involved in a crash. My DH hit a deer at 70 mph (yes, a freeway!). There was $6 or 7k worth of damage to the front end of the car, but according to NHTSA and Britax, the seat was fine.

It's always made me a little nervous, but I trust them when they say it is ok.

The seat that was in the crash is now in the extra car, though.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Technically Sunshine Kids says to replace the Radian after a crash according to the FAQ at http://skjp.com/about/radianFAQ.php:

Q. How long can I use my Radian car seat?

A. We recommend that you discontinue the use of your Radian car seat after 7 years or if it has been involved in an accident. After 7 years, instructions and labels may no longer be present to read, and certain components may suffer degradation as a result of the environmental conditions in which the product has been stored or used.

I would try to get clarification from Sunshine Kids and pursue replacement from there.

remken

I just to the seat out and there is a 2 small cracks.

So now to try and get ahold of the other persons insurance company.

I keep on getting a busy signal everytime I call.

He has safeco. By the way. Are the usually good about replacing seats?

skaterbabs

Yes, the LATCH anchors need to be replaced, as do any occupied seatbelts and the top tether anchor.

the NHTSA thing is not applicable to non-Britax seats because all other brands say replace after a crash NO MATTER WHAT.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, the seat manufacturer takes precedent over the NHTSA guidelines for replacement. In this case, since there are visible cracks, the NHTSA guidelines also dictate to replace the seat. You could present the manufacturer's FAQ and NHTSA guidelines to the insurance company to help back you up if you want to pursue covering replacement.

Out of curiosity, where are the cracks on the seat?

canadianmom2three

Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling where the cracks were? I have the radian myself, and am wondering about how easily the car seat cracked in what seems to have been such a very minor crash, and without even any child being in the seat...just curious - oops didn't see the post above

Last edited:

remken

Safeco did an inspection of the vehicle today and theres about $700 worth of damage. The inspector said they would pay for the damage and a new seat once they accept liability.

I have a feeling though that the other driver is going to try and fight it and not accept responsibility.

Anyone know what happens if thats the case. Since he was clearly at fault will his insurance do anything?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It is amazing that such a relatviely minor accident could cause the seat to crack. I'm so glad that everyone was okay!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC