Britax marathon versus roundabout

C

cara1

Britax marathon versus roundabout

I thought it would be best to hold out for the Marathon for my 7 month old, thinking that since it would last for up to 65 lbs, I wouldn't have to buy another one. The guy in the store told me that it is recommended that people replace their car seats every 5 years anyway, and therefore I would still have to buy another one. He suggested just buying the cheaper Roundabout. Is this good advice?

ADS
U

UlrikeDG

Sort of "good" advice. ;-)

These answers are never simple, are they? One big advantage of the Marathon is that the shell is larger. That means many toddlers will be able to use it rear facing longer. My daughter has outgrown her Roundabout rear facing, but will probably have several inches of space rear facing in the Marathon. Rear facing is significantly safer than front facing, and for me, that advantage outweighs the price difference. See www.thematlocks.com/jenni...ndedRF.htm for some *excellent* info about why extended rear facing is a wise choice.

Having said that, I really recommend you wait and try both seats when the Marathon hits shelves this month. You may find that you really like one better than the other. The Marathon will have Britax's "HUGS" system, for example It will also have a different harness adjuster than the Roundabout. They will have different bases, and one might fit in your vehicle better than the other. And, there are a wide variety of other factors which could sway you one way or the other.

As for the expiration issue, yes, Britax recommends you replace their seats after 5 years (other companies vary, but all recommend a 5-8 year life span). Your seat will probably "expire" before your child totally outgrows it (Britax designed the Marathon to fit most children until they are at *least* 6 years old). A Roundabout will probably be outgrown before it expires. Either way, you'll need to purchase a new seat in the next 3-5 years. Would you rather spend $50 less on a Roundabout now, but replace it 1-2 years sooner or spend $50 more on the Marathon and use it longer, but replace it before it's totally outgrown? *I* think the two cancel each other out. Your situation may be such that you feel otherwise.

Finally, the technology involved in child passenger safety is advancing by leaps and bounds. When you compare the seats and features currently available with those available just 5 years ago, the changes are staggering! Even the past 18 months has brought many new things to fruition. If the same is true 5 years from now, there will probably be many new products with even *more* advanced safety features available, one of which will probably meet your needs at that time.

I know it's not cut and dried, but I hope I brought up some issues that will help you make the right decision for *your* family!

U

UlrikeDG

BTW, the current Britax FAQ says that their seats can be use

BTW, the current Britax FAQ says that their seats can be used for up to 6 years.

How long can my seat be used?

Your seat should provide safety for up to 6 years. This allows parents of multiple children to use a child restraint as their family grows. Technology improves rapidly and it is best to have all current innovations when you are ensuring the safety of a child.

www.britaxusa.com/ Click FAQ in the left column.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC