Parkway belt guide measurements?

jenny03

Does anyone have these? My 9 yr old is outgrowing his HB Turbo (and his 7 yo brother isn't far behind :eek:) and I was wondering how much growth room he would have in a PW. His torso height is 19.5 inches. He's right at the top adjustment now, so when he grows, we have to put it away. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy a (or two) PW(s), but at this point, I don't know if I should just suck it up and use the TB's backless. I don't wanna. :p Opinions? Anyone have the PW belt guide measurements (adusted as high as it will go) Thanks!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have the measurements, but there are several "regulars" on this board whose children outgrew the TB and were moved into PWs. I think the PW gives kids an additional couple of inches.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Maybe you could buy one parkway for your oldest and let him use it till your 7 y/o out grows the parkway... then move the youngest to the parkway and the older to the backless booster when he's 10 or older, depending on how long it takes the 7 y/o to out grow it... or if you have that kinda funds go for it and get 2 parkways! :) I'll go measure mine give me a min...

becca011906

Senior Community Member
ok parkway i got 21.5 and the turbo i got 19.5 ... both from the measuring tape hooked on the bottem belt guide where the belt would run... to the bottem of the seat and pushing on the fabric as a child whould when seated.

jenny03

Thanks! I was thinking that too about buying one and handing it down, but the way his brother is growing I don't think it's gonna happen. :( My 9 and his 7 yo brother BOTH wear a size 10! I measured the 7 yo's torso and got 18.5-19 inches. (He was wiggling)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
2 inches of growth is torso hight only, some how there is a way to chart thier pevious growth and see how their groth curve has went along... and where it should be in 1-2 years and so on... not sure how to go about this but i know some have...

when i say 2 inches of torso high, a child can grow 4 inches ahve 1/2 inch in the head, 3 inches in legs, and only 1.5 inches in torso... ya know, but it depends on how your child grows... as you can see from my kidos measurments they have SHORT torsos just like me, so hopefully they will last in seats a while desipte them being taller kids...

I would definatly go to BRU and try them both out and see what you think and how much room they really have.

jenny03

I KWYM. I just remeasured everyone. LOL My daughter grew 2.5 inches, but only .5 of that was in the torso (15 inches). My 9 yo is 55 inches tall with a 19.5 torso, and the 7 yo is 54 inches with a 19 inch torso. Yikes.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
2 inches of growth is torso hight only, some how there is a way to chart thier pevious growth and see how their groth curve has went along... and where it should be in 1-2 years and so on... not sure how to go about this but i know some have...

when i say 2 inches of torso high, a child can grow 4 inches ahve 1/2 inch in the head, 3 inches in legs, and only 1.5 inches in torso... ya know, but it depends on how your child grows... as you can see from my kidos measurments they have SHORT torsos just like me, so hopefully they will last in seats a while desipte them being taller kids...

I would definatly go to BRU and try them both out and see what you think and how much room they really have.

When you measure torso height are you measuring from shoulder to the bottom of their seated rear or to their waist?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Skaterbabs can probably chime in, her tallish 10 and 8 yo's are still in PW's and too tall for Turbos (the 8 yo is as tall as the 10 yo, in torso height, too!). I haven't tried my 9 yo in a Turbo lately, but he's still got a notch or so to go in the PW...he's really long legged, though (size 8 shirts, size 10 pants)

skaterbabs

yep, over the summer I had to move my boys from their Turbos into Parkways. We didn't have the option of using the TBs backless because we don't have any head restraints in any of our vehicles.

I'd say the difference is a minimum of several inches (probably closer to 4), which can take anywhere from one year to several yars to gain, depending on your children's growth patterns.

My ten yo is pretty much 50th percentile for height and weight, it's my 8 yo with the freakishly long torso :p - the 8 yo outgrew the Husky/Regent by height (shoulders above the harness slots) about 2 inches before the ten yo. :eek:

scatterbunny

Just chiming in to say it can take a long time for kids to grow 2 inches of torso height. In over 10 total inches of height growth my dd has only grown not quite 2.5 inches of that in the torso.

I have two PWs, both recently purchased, for my 7y/o ds and 9y/o dd. They are almost the same height/weight/torso ht. (*tall* boy, average-height girl) in fact, and both still have at least two or three adjustments left before they outgrow the PW. My 11y/o ds, in fact, still fits in it as well. He used his brother's a few times during our holiday travels because we just got a new DVD player in our van, and they can see the screen better from the back seat in the boosters. (This was on side trips where no one else was using the seat.)

I'll have to go look at the paper I last recorded their torso ht. on, and let you know how big they are-- obviously all have under 21.5" torsos, though. ;)

I expect to get another 1.5-2y use out of the 9y/o's PW, then pass it down to her next youngest sister (turning 5 in a few days). Since the 7y/o is nearly the same size, a lot will depend on his growth, I suppose. :shrug: It was worth it to me, though.

jenny03

the 8 yo outgrew the Husky/Regent by height (shoulders above the harness slots) about 2 inches before the ten yo.
That is crazy! Good thing my oldest is still taller/longer torso, he'd be a bit upset about that. lol

I'll have to take them to BRU and check it out. I should have just gotten the PW's to begin with...but didn't really have the money at the time. The 7 yo has about 3/4 of an inch in the Turbo yet...I could get one PW for now.

skaterbabs

Yeah, can you say "holy long torso Batman!"? lol The funny thing is, at the time he was about 2" shorter in overall height than the 10 yo.

soygurl

Sounds like the Parkways would work, but I could have swarn I saw a differnt booster at target that went even higher than the parkway... Or I could be crazy :rolleyes:

skaterbabs

Honestly, if you find one that has a taller area from hip to the bottom of the belt guide, LMK, because I'm putting off the transition to seatbelt and no head support as long as possible.
Some of the others are taller in overall height, but not in that all-important shoulder-to-hip measurement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC