Which car seat to take on the airplane?

U

Unregistered

I have both a Britax RA and a Graco Ultra Cargo (with the harness) for my 22 month ds. We are traveling across the country for Christmas in a week and I'm wondering which car seat will be easiest for us to use on the plane. We have purchased a seat for him. I heard that since car seats make kids higher up in the seats that they can't use the trays. Since the Ultra Cargo sits lower would this work better on the plane? We have a portable DVD player so I am hoping to occupy him with some Teletubbies during the long flight and it would be easiest if I could just set it on the tray. I've read that people find the RA easy to use on planes but what about the Cargo?

Thanks.

ADS

groovymom2000

I've never used the Cargo, but

I will tell you that the RA is too high for them to use the tray on the seat back. On the other hand, my DS prefers to look out of the window, play with cars or for me to read to him anyway, so it's not such a big deal. I do have a small beanbag bottom/hard top lap desk that he uses in the car sometimes, and it fits in my backpack well, so I bring it along.
Good luck!
Beth, mom to Elliot(3) and #2 due 5/24/04

U

Unregistered

We used the Ultra Cargo on an airplane and my DD loved it. She was able to use the airplane seat tray with no problem. It was very easy to buckle the seat in. But I'm right handed so I had to make sure she was on my left so I'd be more comfortable and it was easier to feed her that way.Oh by the way its easy to get through the airport I slung it over my shoulder like a backpack and used the teather strap to do that.Good luck and have fun

mamamia

I would use the CarGo because it is lighter, and having carried my heavy FPSE (I think it is a bit lighter than our RA...) I would say go with the lightest seat possible! Sure kids like to see out the window, but in reality you need to make it easiest on YOU in an airport. It is hard enough juggling luggage, car seats and kids-take the lightest seat possible-that is what I would do.

U

Unregistered

Thanks

Thanks for the advise. I never really thought about how heavy the RA is because I rarely take it out of the car, but it would be more of a pain to carry through the airport (and we have to change planes). I think we will take the Ultra Cargo. A lighter seat will be easier and my ds will like being able to use the tray.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC